Feature Request: Auto Save

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
4bbhor3en

Feature Request: Auto Save

Postby 4bbhor3en » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:58 am

Hey guys, just wanted to throw out the idea of an auto-save feature (after every jump?); not so that you can loose and then try to win that same decisive battle again, but so that you don't have to worry about your game quitting unexpectedly and loosing all your progress on what was looking like the best run you've had yet.
mqstout

Re: Feature Request: Auto Save

Postby mqstout » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:27 pm

Not going to happen. It goes against the spirit of the game and roguelikes in general.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Yeah, the players had to kick and scream to get any kind of saving at all. Auto saving, and being able to restore in any way other than stopping and starting the game? Not going to happen.

And I personally like it that way.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Dirka

Postby Dirka » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:13 pm

Nice idea - in theory. It would be nice to have some kind of insurance in the case of system crashes, but this would also enable save-scumming to a much larger degree. If you don't like where the current battle is going simply kill FTL or restart your PC, and *bam* it's all good again...
4bbhor3en

Postby 4bbhor3en » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:03 pm

You're all right of course, but it makes me sad since it was in fact an unexpected system crash which prompted me to initially suggest such a concept. Thanks for giving this a glance, guys!
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:23 am

I wonder if it would be possible to have a hidden and temporary autosave, which would get deleted when you exit the game normally, but would be available if the game crashed.

I suppose it would still be found and abused, though.