The Indomitable II

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
Cody_Sisco

The Indomitable II

Postby Cody_Sisco » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:59 am

Howdy! I'll give some background for this first, I have ~50 hours in FTL and had never bothered to join the forums until now because I finally had a story worth telling.

Skip this VVVVV paragraph if you don't care about backstory... I have overly detailed this because the only real intriguing parts are the names of the crew and the Flagship battle, I lost no crew and killed almost every ship I encountered within a minute.

I took a family road trip over spring break and decided to bring my iPad with FTL on it. i hadn't played for quite a while but spent most of the trip playing FTL. I Was furious that I couldn't unlock the Crystal cruisers on the mobile version and when I went home I booted up my old steam account that had FTL on it up. I began replaying the game constantly and I have gotten back into it with way more enthusiasm now that I have time to play it. I quickly decided to mod it as I used to (honest truth) have all the ships unlocked but they had disappeared. My modding spiraled out of control and soon I was running ridiculous ships. The first was the Indomitable. A Mantis (A) ship that I put a crystal crewmember on for the hell of it. The hacked in crystal meant that he had infinite lockdown ability. I killed every single ship I encountered in a no Rebel pursuit game and explored almost every beacon. The Rebel Flagship was a piece of cake. After a few playthroughs with other ships I wanted to play the Mantis ship again.

The Indomitable II

The Mantis cruiser layout B, I hacked in two Ion Mark two weapons from the start but not the power or upgraded systems to use them. I also installed restorative teleporters and Zoltan shield bypass from the start :)

The Crew:

Pilot - Engi - Martin Bishop (Sneakers)
Shields - Engi - Cosmo - Virus (briefly) - Cosmo (Sneakers)
Engines - Rockman - "Dwayne the Rockman" Johnson
Weapons - Human - Martin Blank (Grosse Point Blank)
Doors - Mantis - Ellen Ripley (Alien Franchise)
Sensors - Mantis - John McClane (Die Hard)
Boarding - Mantis - John Wick (Self-explanatory)
Boarding - Crystal - Rocky Balboa (Rocky) [He was maxed out in all skills from the start)
A Mantis cruiser jumped into the Federation base as the hulking behemoth Rebel Flagship and its fleet did. Federation and Rebel forces were locked in a stalemate as so many Federation ships were concentrated in one spot. The only battle that mattered was whether or not the Flagship was destroyed. if not, all was lost. The Flagship cloaked upon arrival but the crew of the Indomitable II was ready for this moment. As soon as the Flagship uncloaked the Rebel pilot had intruder notifications. A quick glance at the camera feed showed the missile bay operator pummeled over the head by a crystal, he fell over and screamed as a fearsome Mantis ate him alive. The crystal quickly went to work on the missile bay leaving it destroyed. The Rebel pilot truly started to worry when two more Mantis appeared inside the laser bay and tore the operator to shreds. soon none of the Flagship's shots were hitting, and the few that did weren't doing anything to the advanced shields of the Indomitable II.

Rocky and the other boarders were teleported back to the Indomitable II and as they waited to board again, he spoke into the intercom. his booming voice spoke "If we get out of this alive, I'm buying the first round at the bar." Bishop chuckled to himself and sent the boarders back over they had this in the bag.

Greg Chamberlin had gotten a cushy job as the doctor on board the Rebel Flagship, or so he thought. That was until 3 warriors and a terrifying 8 foot tall crystalline being teleported into the medbay. sealed the entire room with crystals, and then proceeded to coat the walls in his blood. he would've have disproved of the unsanitary conditions in his quarters had he been alive to see them post mortem.
The rest of the Rebel crew poured in and were dispatched quite quickly. Soon, only the beam and ion operators remained.

The boarders returned and the teleporter and engines were shut off. A combat drone was activated as well as two heavy ion cannons. The Rebel ship's right side blew off minutes later.

The Indomitable II followed the Flagship as it fled the base, a few Federation ships made the mistake of following too and were quickly wiped out, but they kept the other Rebel ships in the sector at bay long enough for the Indomitable II to quickly blow off the left side of the Flagship.

The Flagship jumped back to the Federation base, going for one last attempt to destroy the Federation. The Indomitable II followed. The Indomitable II had begun taking damage though, and Bishop began to worry. Out of nowhere a power surge, and a missile strike had hit the shields moments before and four lasers struck the weapons, Martin Blank likely didn't feel much as he was vaporized so quickly. Soon things fell apart as much of the crew got to work fixing the weapons. Wick took the weapons post as he had been a weapons operator before joining the Indomitable II's crew. Soon things were stabilized and with the Indomitable II's hull at around half , it was time to finish the Rebel ship. Balboa and McClane teleported onto the Flagship once more to destroy the shields and allow Wick to finish the ship off. The Flagship, now totally autonomous had one more trick up its sleeve. One that Bishop failed to recognize before sending his crew over. Mind control. Out of nowhere McClane viciously attacked Balboa, throwing his earpiece off and leaving Bishop and Ripley (who had taken up the sensors once McClane left) none the wiser. It wasn't until a deeply disturbed and winded McClane picked up Balboa's earpiece did anyone know he was missing. "Bishop..." said the Mantis. Bishop looked at the comms display Ripley was feeding him and realized the voice was coming from Balboa's earpiece. Confused he turned on the video feed to his horror. McClane was badly beaten and bludgeoned, he could see that from Balboa's earpiece camera, but when he saw Balboa's corpse through McClane's earpiece he went dead cold.

"McClane, you..." Ripley couldn't finish.

"I didn't realize, I lost control of myself..." responded McClane.

Bishop had never seen a Mantis this distraught, but he knew that even in Mantis culture a crewmate is practically family. "No time for this, we have a job to do." He transferred his voice to the loudspeakers on board the ship. "Wick and Ripley, prepare to board."

The Mantis worked in silence, cutting through wire after self repairing wire inside the Flagship's mind control unit and shield generator.

Bishop sent them off and soon the Rebel ship was almost down, it was barely clinging on to life (1 hull point to be exact) he ordered them back on board. Fate decided otherwise, and another Rebel power surge replenished the super shields. Bishop spoke softly and calmly, the Indomitable II wasn't doing so hot anymore, it couldn't take much more punishment.

One voice spoke. "It's been an honor serving with you all, and may the Universe forgive me." McClane began truly tearing into the Flagships hull. Soon, Ripley and Wick did too. Bishop began firing the ions, if he made it in time he could save his crew, but Johnson entered the cockpit. Johnson had never seen an Engi with emotions this rampant, but he could not let them get in the way of the mission either way. Bishop put up a good fight, but was no match to beat his strength as Johnson restrained him. Bishop's servos let out a massive amount of steam giving him the appearance of crying, they continued to produce steam as the Rebel Flagship exploded from the inside.

Epilogue

Dwayne Johnson returned to Vrachos IV from the Indomitable II memorial space station and decided to have a drink. He had the replicator make a six pack and he flew his personal shuttle over to the Vrachos War Heroes Cemetery. He walked to his old friend and sat with him for hours, talking him to death as his friend listened patiently. He left three of the beers for the tombstone of Rocky Balboa, and decided he'd check on Bishop. It had been a while since he'd visited the suicide ward and he did not wish to lose another friend.