Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Twinge

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby Twinge » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:03 am

My understating is that damage an enemy slaver ship will result in them offering a slave as a surrender 80% of the time. The odds of getting crew from winning via killing a slaver's crew is 2/3 (67%).
FTL Tips & Tricks Video Series

Catch my stream on Twitch

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod
Dirka

Postby Dirka » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:25 pm

When using the heal bomb on your own ship turn off the engines. That way it won't miss.
iceburg333

Postby iceburg333 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks for starting this thread Mister Sammy (and everyone else who has posted in), it's a great read / resource to skim in between doing other things. It's like bite size FTL strategy. :D
zeek

Postby zeek » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:25 pm

Beacon hazards are removed by the rebel fleet overtaking the beacon. If you're trying to get the stealth ship achievement for never visiting a beacon with a hazard and have no other route available you can jump around until the rebel fleet takes the beacon and then proceed on your way.
Dontmindme

Postby Dontmindme » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:15 am

Although, if I remember correctly, rebel nebulae are always ion storms, so be careful.
Mister Sammy

Postby Mister Sammy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:16 am

iceburg333 wrote:Thanks for starting this thread Mister Sammy (and everyone else who has posted in), it's a great read / resource to skim in between doing other things. It's like bite size FTL strategy. :D
Thank you! And I'm sure everyone else appreciates your thanks as well.

If you have the time on your hands and want to pad your repair skill without taking further damage, upgrade an already broken system to add another bar that needs fixing!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:43 am

Mister Sammy wrote:If you have the time on your hands and want to pad your repair skill without taking further damage, upgrade an already broken system to add another bar that needs fixing!

Recently, I successfully kited a boarder from room to room using airlocks. I'd let him damage the shields way down but not break them (and do hull damage), then empty air from the room while letting air into the weapons room. Then I sent him to engines, and finally to the medbay where my guys were waiting. Once they killed him, my engi went around and repaired everything :)

I don't know if I'd suggest that, it took a long time and there was a decent chance of hull damage.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Dontmindme

Postby Dontmindme » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:45 pm

I've done that before. I've also played around with letting fires burn systems down a few bars then sending the crew in to put out the fires before the system breaks entirely. You can keep the fire burning indefinitely through a combination of airlocking the rooms you do not want the fire to go and leaving all the other doors open (so the fire does not put itself out). It's awfully time-consuming to try to level up your whole crew, but to get a single designated engi repair guy maxed out isn't so bad.
Mister Sammy

Postby Mister Sammy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:40 am

If you're absolutely certain that you won't be pulling your boarding crew back from the enemy ship until the fight's over, you can power down your teleporter and funnel the juice into more pressing systems.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:33 am

Mister Sammy wrote:If you're absolutely certain that you won't be pulling your boarding crew back from the enemy ship until the fight's over, you can power down your teleporter and funnel the juice into more pressing systems.

Actually you can do that anyway. If your guys get in a bind, just pause, power up the teleporter again, and pull 'em back.

In fact, I'd add:
Put 3 power into your teleporter even when you know you won't be pulling your guy back right away. It cools down faster, releasing those 3 power bars for other systems. Otherwise, you'd have 1 power stuck somewhere for a long time. Use this tip with caution :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."