Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
SgtFrog

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby SgtFrog » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:33 am

You can select more than one crew member if you Ctrl + Left Click each one's name. Why move your Mantis boarding party one at a time when you can have all four swarm in at once? :twisted:

Word of caution: If you try to move a group into a room that's too small, the last member(s) won't move at all. For example, trying to move all four Mantis at once into a three-person Medbay will leave behind that fourth Mantis.
SgtFrog

Postby SgtFrog » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:49 am

You know how the game says the Pike Beam can cut across a whole ship? They're not just saying it. Pause the game and line your beam up so it cuts through four or even five rooms, if possible. Even the very tip of that red line will deal damage. Of course, the enemy ship has to be completely shield-less for this to work...
Twinge

Postby Twinge » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:04 am

The Pike Beam tends to grant flexibility in room targeting moreso than additional rooms hit, actually. The standard Halberd/Glaive can hit at least 4 rooms on every ship except the Auto-Assault, and can hit 5 on several (e.g., Rebel Rigger).
FTL Tips & Tricks Video Series

Catch my stream on Twitch

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod
Dontmindme

Postby Dontmindme » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:57 pm

You can also select multiple crew by clicking, drawing a box and selecting all in a particular location.
AnAngryHorde

Postby AnAngryHorde » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:20 am

Something I was caught out on the other day:

If you kill all but one of the crew of the final boss in stage one or two, and then finish the stage, the crew you've killed will not return for later stages.

HOWEVER if you kill all but one of the crew, and then jump away without finishing the stage (eg. because you forgot to equip a weapon on your boarding ship that does hull damage), when you return, all of the crew will have respawned and any systems you destroyed will be repaired.

I didn't notice I didn't have any way of finishing the first stage until I'd destroyed every system except the weapons system with the last guy in it (which was disabled with ion), and killed the rest of the crew :shock:
Twinge

Postby Twinge » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:09 pm

You CAN kill the Flagship Phase 1 & 2 without any weaponry - you just need to do system damage by punching systems down. You'll need to kill all crewmen to turn on the auto-repair so you can destroy more systems. Then, you need to either use a boarding drone or sacrifice a crew to do the final damage.
FTL Tips & Tricks Video Series

Catch my stream on Twitch

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod
BKT

Postby BKT » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:59 pm

I wonder if it possible to kill all the crew on the flagship without any weapon+drone using only standard 2 slot Telepad and no Cheaptal crewmen. :?:
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:07 pm

BKT wrote:I wonder if it possible to kill all the crew on the flagship without any weapon+drone using only standard 2 slot Telepad and no Cheaptal crewmen. :?:

First round has a L2 (?) Medbay and a Cloak and 7 (?) crew in the body, so I'd say no. It was hard enough to do (link to post) with 4 fully leveled Mantises (2 KIA when boss cloaked), a L3 TP, Small Bomb (about a dozen ammo), Basic Laser & Pike Beam. If I hadn't managed to finally take out the Medbay and kill a wounded crew or two with a lucky bomb, I don't think I could have won.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:34 pm

I won the game once with an all-mantis, all-ion ship. IIRC it had 2 ion 2's and 2 ion 1's. I had decimated every ship (except auto scouts. I just wrote those off) all game so I strolled into the final boss battle confident.

Round 1, I took out the weapons as I always do, with 2 guys in the missiles, then 2 in the ions, and finally 2 in the beam. Meanwhile I sent the ion 2's at the shield and cloak room, and the ion 1's both at the medbay.

By the time the weapons were down (well before, actually) they could not cloak and were never going to have shields, and their medbay was offline. 4 mantises in the drone room (it didn't matter where they went) took out the crew.

Then I realized that I had no way to kill the ship. Well, I had one way. I decimated his ship with the mantises, sending one into each room to do a hull damage for every system destroyed. I then sent mantises into the laser gun to kill that guy and release the DREADED AI. I then switched my ion 2's to the missile and ion weapons and the ion 1's to the beam weapon, leaving only the laser weapon functional (so, the way it was before).

THen, as the AI fixed systems I destroyed them. I concentrated on shields but otherwise just took out what came up. When he was down to 1 hull, I brought everybody back except one poor mantis. I waited until something came online and sent him in. His sacrifice was welcomed.

Then I repeated the process 2 more times. It was actually easier because I could ion the shields, drones, and beam there by not needing to send guys into there. Eventually I lost a 2nd mantis taking down that phase.

The third phase was funny. Zoltan shield? My 4 ion weapons LAUGH at your Zoltan shield. I sent an ion 2 at shields, another at missiles, and the 2 ions at the lasers. Then my mantises had one last huzzah before coming back, leaving my 3rd and final sacrifice to take out the final phase.

Best. Win. Ever.

But anyway, to answer your question you COULD do it, if you allowed for having those 4 ions. You could even do it with humans I think if you pulled them back to heal.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
BKT

Postby BKT » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:59 am

The Captain wrote:First round has a L2 (?) Medbay and a Cloak and 7 (?) crew in the body, so I'd say no

3 Medbay / 2 Cloak / 7 men

The Captain wrote:It was hard enough to do (link to post) with 4 fully leveled Mantises (2 KIA when boss cloaked), a L3 TP, Small Bomb (about a dozen ammo), Basic Laser & Pike Beam. If I hadn't managed to finally take out the Medbay and kill a wounded crew or two with a lucky bomb, I don't think I could have won.

I guess I'm actually pretty good at it, then. :twisted:

http://youtu.be/PrRvNrIdPxY?t=2m13s : Nice shot, eh? ;)

5thHorseman wrote:But anyway, to answer your question you COULD do it, if you allowed for having those 4 ions. You could even do it with humans I think if you pulled them back to heal.

What I wonder is not "Can I win the game" "but "Is it possible to kill all the crew on the flagship", and in stage 1 of the battle obviously.

If those Ion were allowed, then why even use the Telepad since you can just Ion'd the oxygen until everyone is dead. :roll: