What is (are) your favorite weapon(s) and why?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
magic9mushroom

Re: What is (are) your favorite weapon(s) and why?

Postby magic9mushroom » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:07 am

Mataza wrote:Actually Hull lasers are quite useful because they shoot multiple projectiles. Hull Laser 1 is just a couple of seconds slower than Burst Laser 1, but otherwise equal.

But the BL I is terrible. There are three weapons which are strictly better than it. It's hardly a good standard of comparison.

(Also, the Heavy Laser II shoots 2 projectiles.)
BKT

Postby BKT » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:38 am

magic9mushroom wrote:
Mataza wrote:But the BL I is terrible.

... Everything is terrible if you're comparing it with BL 2. 8-)
magic9mushroom

Postby magic9mushroom » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:18 am

BKT wrote:... Everything is terrible if you're comparing it with BL 2. 8-)

Hardly. The Crystal Burst I is better as a solo weapon, and if you've got something to crack shields the Glaive Beam cleans up much faster. If you want something to take down the shields, the Ion Blast II will do it permanently instead of for a couple of seconds.
BKT

Postby BKT » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:54 pm

magic9mushroom wrote:The Crystal Burst I is better as a solo weapon

Fire too slow for my liking. Doesn't work with defense drone. Not to mention that you won't get it in normal play, unless you playing a crystal ship, which I absolutely hate for some unknown reason...

magic9mushroom wrote:and if you've got something to crack shields the Glaive Beam cleans up much faster.

That something is BL2 :mrgreen:

magic9mushroom wrote:If you want something to take down the shields, the Ion Blast II will do it permanently instead of for a couple of seconds.

Ion is good at disabling the shield, but it sucks at everything else, unlike the BL2 which is extremely versatile. Also, it may take a long time to actually "take down the shield permanently" in the later sector...

Not to mention that it (and the Glaive) use more than 2 power. :roll:
magic9mushroom

Postby magic9mushroom » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:11 pm

BKT wrote:That something is BL2 :mrgreen:

Or Breach Bomb II. Or Ion Blast II. The BL2, against a 4-shield, high-evasion ship, will get you maybe 2 room hits with the Glaive before the shields are back up, and even those at reduced damage.

(The fact that I consider issuing commands while paused to be cheating probably also colours my view.)

Ion is good at disabling the shield, but it sucks at everything else, unlike the BL2 which is extremely versatile.

Not *everything* else. It gets live captures early on once you have a fully-leveled weapons officer, and you can use it to screw up enemy cloaks with relative ease.

Also, it may take a long time to actually "take down the shield permanently" in the later sector...

Ion Blast II + Autoloader + fully-leveled weapons officer hasn't failed me yet, even against high evasion.

Not to mention that it (and the Glaive) use more than 2 power. :roll:

Well, yes. The BL2's good for its cost, don't get me wrong, but it's still non-ideal in pretty much any dedicated tactical setup. Aggro does better with dedicated disablers and hull-cutters, boarding wants to avoid blowing a ship up with the accumulated hull damage, and stall... well, okay, it's a very good option for stall.
BKT

Postby BKT » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:21 pm

Those 'specialized' weapons are good if you have all the piece of the puzzle together (or 'dedicated tactical setup' as you put it) ... BL2 will work well with any setup and on any ship and with/without any augmentation, right from the first sector to the end— it will even work by itself without any other weapon; in fact, it's retardedly powerful if you got 3 or more of them. The same can't be said to those weapon you've mentioned, especially the Glaive...

Then again, the most powerful 'weapon' in the game is the telepad. :mrgreen:
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:06 pm

BKT wrote:Those 'specialized' weapons are good if you have all the piece of the puzzle together (or 'dedicated tactical setup' as you put it) ... BL2 will work well with any setup and on any ship and with/without any augmentation, right from the first sector to the end— it will even work by itself without any other weapon; in fact, it's retardedly powerful if you got 3 or more of them. The same can't be said to those weapon you've mentioned, especially the Glaive...

Then again, the most powerful 'weapon' in the game is the telepad. :mrgreen:

Can you agree to disagree, perhaps? The thread is "What are your favorite weapons" not "Why my favorites are better than your favorites." Most weapons have their own virtues, and personal preference does play a part, even if some weapons are less effective than others (mmm, fire beam how I love you). Just because the BL2 is your favorite doesn't mean you need to browbeat everyone else into thinking the same way. :roll:
Dark Jelly

Postby Dark Jelly » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:35 pm

magic9mushroom wrote:
Well, yes. The BL2's good for its cost, don't get me wrong, but it's still non-ideal in pretty much any dedicated tactical setup. Aggro does better with dedicated disablers and hull-cutters, boarding wants to avoid blowing a ship up with the accumulated hull damage, and stall... well, okay, it's a very good option for stall.

Disagree on aggro, BL2 is part of the ideal setup for that. It's the lower power cost that does it.

Imagine Glaive Beam, BL2, and either another BL2 or my preference Breach Bomb 2.

Or Halberd Beam, 2x BL2, and Small Bomb or Breach Bomb 1.

Edit: Slug Ship could get Glaive Beam, BL2, Dual Lasers, and Breach Bomb 1 (starts with the last 2). Is that the best possible for aggro?

And if you have any Anti-Ship drones in addition, all the better.

Having said that, I was surprised that when I actually found a BL2, I didn't use it. I think my weapons were Halberd Beam, Hull Laser 2, and Small Bomb, so BL2 was the odd man out.

As for my favorite weapon, that would be Breach Bomb 2. A single weapon that takes out systems, causes breaches, and kills the enemy crew themselves.
BKT

Postby BKT » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:00 am

Kieve wrote:The thread is "What are your favorite weapons" not "Why my favorites are better than your favorites."

Funny you say this, since it's you who brought it up. :roll:

Dark Jelly wrote:Imagine Glaive Beam, BL2, and either another BL2

Happen to me once with Stealth_B, on sector 4, no less! Everything went extremely smooth ... I ended up ditching my bomb because you can fire 2 salvo per each Glaive charge, which give you more options and plenty of room for error, it's also allow a quick follow-up attack once the Glaive is unleashed to finish it off if your beam didn't destroyed the ship outright; Bombs can't do that.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:54 am

BKT wrote:Funny you say this, since it's you who brought it up. :roll:

I've only posted one other time in this thread, and at no point have I tried to convince anyone that my personal favorite weapons were in any way superior. Don't troll me.