Difference between Easy and Normal

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
VincentTH

Difference between Easy and Normal

Postby VincentTH » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Lots of people seem to indicate that the difference between Easy and Normal difficulties are just the amount of scrap. I beg to differ.

Having played Normal for the past 2 weeks, I think there are at least 2 more differences besides the scrap:

(1) The NPCs level up faster. In Easy games, you won't see 2-level shield hostile until sector 3 (not counting the Rebel fleet ships that have caught up with you). In Normal games, you would see 2-level shield NPCs at sector 2 and sometimes even end of the first sector. The hostilities even have Missiles during the first few jumps of a normal game.

(2) The rebel fleet that try to catch you advance faster in Normal than in Easy.

(3) This is a may be, but I believe the rate of random gun drop is less in Normal than in Easy. In Easy, I probably have all I need to have to face the boss at Sector 6. In Normal, I have got to the last stand without finding any ion Blaster or a good Bomb to bypass the shield (and/or the defense drone of the boss).
GDK

Re: Difference between Easy and Normal

Postby GDK » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:59 pm

well duh!
When it's written easier ennemy generation it's easier ennemy generation.
Farlark

Postby Farlark » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:46 pm

Thanks for the observations, VincentTH. I haven't tried easy yet, and I wasn't sure what to expect.

GDK wrote:well duh!
When it's written easier ennemy generation it's easier ennemy generation.

I don't understand this post.
icepick

Postby icepick » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:48 pm

There are only three differences. These are described as you hover the buttons in the hangar.

Easy
1. Better scrap rewards
2. Easier enemy generation.

Normal
3. 25% score boost
spacecadet13

Postby spacecadet13 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:08 am

Difference between Easy & Normal? In Easy, if you see something at a store you want and/or know will be great later on (e.g Defense Drone MkII, Burst Laser MkIII etc) but you can't use it straight away, you can buy it and then build up your scrap and upgrade your way to the point where you can, eventually, use it. In Normal, you better be able to use whatever you buy straight away or VERY soon after, or you are wasting scrap that might help you get though the next jump if you spend it on something that makes your ship better right NOW.

But I agree with OP, there is more to the difference than is shown - less weapon / augment drops from events and battles in Normal is one I'm pretty sure of. Could be wrong, but I'm convinced I'm way less lucky on Normal than on Easy, though that is not to say you can't be lucky on Normal. Just don't count on it.