Unlocking the Slug Cruiser

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Hustle Butt

Unlocking the Slug Cruiser

Postby Hustle Butt » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:03 pm

Unlock
To unlock this Slug Cruiser, you must:
Have either Sensors Rank 2 or a Slug crew member.
Go to the Slug Home Nebula (Purple Sector)
Some Slug ships will surrender once hurt in exchange for what's in their stores. Do this. One of them will have an experimental weapon (Anti-Bio Beam), Instead, ask for some data. You get a quest marker.
At the new quest beacon, choose to tail the enemy ships instead of trying to go charging in, then choose whichever Blue option you have. You'll get in a fight where the enemy is powering up FTL to get away. Destroy the ship or kill the crew and congratulations, you get the Slug Cruiser.

^This is all copied from the wiki, and it has raised a question for me.

Is it possible to unlock the Slug Cruiser while using The Basilisk? If you use your boarding party to down a ship, will they still try to surrender? If you are using the Basilisk, will you be required to use weapons to make them surrender?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
MANtisB

Re: Unlocking the Slug Cruiser

Postby MANtisB » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:52 pm

You could theoretically destroy enough systems to damage their hull sufficiently to trigger the surrender, but odds are you'll wind up killing the crew just because Mantis are too good at their job.

Think like how normal ships will offer to surrender once you damage the hull enough. Same idea.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Yep, by boarding you give up all surrender options, including this one.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
Independent George

Postby Independent George » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:37 pm

What blue options are there? I've destroyed the ship and captured it, but never unlocked the cruiser.
Number43

Postby Number43 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:15 am

Independent George wrote:What blue options are there? I've destroyed the ship and captured it, but never unlocked the cruiser.

You picked the wrong item at the start. Rather than charging in you have to choose to wait and watch, then it gives you blue options.

And in response to the original posting, you can unlock it with the basilisk, but you'll need to obtain some weapons and upgrade your weapons system instead of relying solely on boarders.
Farlark

Postby Farlark » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:08 am

It seems like this thread should be marked as containing spoilers.
FDru

Postby FDru » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:21 am

Farlark wrote:It seems like this thread should be marked as containing spoilers.

It seems you don't know what a spoiler is.
Farlark

Postby Farlark » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:04 am

FDru wrote:It seems you don't know what a spoiler is.

If I wanted to discover for myself how to unlock the ships, then, for me, this thread would be full of them.

Anywho, I upgraded sensors to lvl 2, defeated a Slug ship in the Slug Home Nebula, and asked for some data, and I was outright denied the quest marker (!!!). It told me that I looked at my map and decided there wasn't enough time for the quest. I figured maybe it had to do with the rebel fleet, but they had only made a bit of progress on the map. Or maybe it had to do with being in sector 7. I don't know.

Does anyone know what triggers this quest denial?
fylth

Postby fylth » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:09 am

If you were looking to unlock the Slug Cruiser without spoilers, surely you wouldn't go into a thread titled "Unlocking the Slug Cruiser"?
samules

Postby samules » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:42 pm

If you would get a quest marker past a certain point in the sector it will put it in the next sector as you have probably noticed. However quest markers can't appear in the eighth sector so you just lost it there.