The stealth ship

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
headhunter99

The stealth ship

Postby headhunter99 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:44 pm

I suck at using the stealth ship those anyone have any pointers or tips
POM_Fenris

Re: The stealth ship

Postby POM_Fenris » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:37 pm

Which one, Type A or B? If it's Type B, you are basically boned however you play, unless you are luckier than a horseshoe that's found a £50 note.
nimitz98

Postby nimitz98 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Why does everyone bash the Stealth B? I love that ship, and have beaten the game four times with it. One time the only weapons I had were the Glaive beam and a Burst Laser I.

Anyway, try to time your cloak correctly. Try to cloak RIGHT AFTER they fire their most powerful weapon. For Stealth A, nothing in sectors 1-3 can stand up to your Dual Lasers and Mini Beam. For Stealth B, lets do some math. The Glaive Beam takes 25 seconds to charge. Your starting cloak lasts 10 seconds. Their weapons usually take about 10 seconds to charge. If you cloak right after they fire, you have 20 seconds of complete invulnerability. After you decloak, their weapons take another 10 seconds to charge, while your beam has only 5 seconds to go. The Glaive will take out ALL sector one and two ships in one blast. One shot may not be able to take out all sector three ships, but you will still be able to disable their weapon systems and shields. Hope this helps! :)
POM_Fenris

Postby POM_Fenris » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:29 pm

Both stealth ships need a similar approach to the fights:

1. Cloak after they fire but before the shots hit you. This allows you to avoid that salvo. Also, whilst you are cloaked, their weapons cannot charge, but yours can. I recommend putting a lot into cloak early on, as it is cheap to level up.
2. Line your beam up precisely, so as to hit as many rooms as possible. It only needs to have one pixel of the beam on a room to count as a hit, and the more rooms you hit the more damage you will do.
3. Focus on taking out their weapons, and leave the shields as secondary. Since you have no shielding yourself, you will take a lot of damage if you don;t get rid of weapons quickly. If you take them out, and keep them down, the enemy is basically a sitting duck till you can finish him off. Also, if you can take down the weapons and shield in one streak of the beam, do so, but start from the shield room. This allows you to take out their shields before doing max damage to weapons.

You will need some luck to get the ball rolling though, no matter how well you play. Get shields as soon as possible, you will need them more than any other system. Also, I recommend getting a small ion weapon or missile weapon to keep their weapons down, if you are using Type B.
Gus Smedstad

Postby Gus Smedstad » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:47 am

There are 3 types of ships in sector 1 that are a serious threat to either stealth ship: ships with drones, Zoltan ships, and ships with beam weapons. Drones fire a lot more often than every 10 seconds, the Zoltan ships will do considerable damage to you while you're battering through that super shield, and you can't dodge beam weapons with a cloak. Beam drones are worst of all because they can't be dodged and they often do 2 points per shot.

Any of the above can kill the Stealth / B if they hit the weapons room. The slow charge of the Glaive makes losing the charge a major setback. That's why it feels like it's a crapshoot, the losing 10 seconds off that charge time, plus the time to repair, means you're going to take a second volley completely unprotected, and if one of the hits from that is the weapon station it starts all over again. The Stealth / A can't wipe ships out the way the Stealth / B can, but weapon room damage is a minor thing since your charge times are fast and you don't lose both weapons to a single point of damage.

Heck, even a regular volley of lasers and missiles can give you the same problem, because the Stealth / B starts with 2 points in engines, which means a cloak is only 80% evasion. You'll often see 3-4 points coming your way in sector 1, which means it's common for one attack to land. If it's the weapon room, there goes the Glaive charge. Cloak-3 is so attractive because you don't have to dodge anymore - you can guarantee that first strike if you cloak immediately. 25 - 15 is 10 seconds of vulnerability, but it's actually better than that since a gunner cuts down on the Glaive's charge time, so it's more like 8, faster than anything but drones.
Kajitii

Postby Kajitii » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:58 pm

POM_Fenris wrote:1. Cloak after they fire but before the shots hit you. This allows you to avoid that salvo. Also, whilst you are cloaked, their weapons cannot charge, but yours can. I recommend putting a lot into cloak early on, as it is cheap to level up.

Beams don't miss, and they are the bane of stealth ships. Since the cloak also halts weapons from charging, you should consider cloaking before they fire. Level 2 cloak is like level 2 shields in dealing with those pesky minibeams.

Also, since this isn't exactly obvious, firing weapons shorten the duration of cloaks (unless you have the stealth weapons augment). Beams don't disrupt your cloak (I need confirmation on bombs though), so feel free to fire those whenever you want to.

EDIT: Oops not lasers, beams xD
Last edited by Kajitii on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:01 pm

Lasers do miss. Maybe you were thinking of beam weapons?
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Gus Smedstad

Postby Gus Smedstad » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:08 pm

Small nitpick here, you're reversing lasers and beams. Lasers do miss, and do shorten your cloak. Beams don't miss if cloak, and don't affect your cloak time if you use them.

Minibeams have a charge time of 12 seconds. Even cloak-1 will allow you to fire first with the Stealth/A, but the Stealth/B needs Cloak-3 to fire first - Cloak-2 just doesn't delay it enough to get that Glaive ready. That's why Cloak-3 is such a priority with the Stealth/B, it gives you first strike against any ship that doesn't have drones or a Zoltan shield, including those beam weapons you can't otherwise dodge.
breadsmith

Postby breadsmith » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:05 pm

I must be luckier than a 50 pound note then, I got a weapon Pre-igniter on my second jump on a normal run last night with Stealth B. It was the easiest normal run I've ever had. I had about three losses not even getting to sector 4 before this, but it was so over the top, I picked up the mantis ship just to make it harder.
Local_Ork

Postby Local_Ork » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:11 pm

Surprisingly I absolutely love Stealth B, it's like a Death Star with wings.
Boils whole planets, get owned by nerf herder kid. Ehh...

Forget shields in first 2-3 sectors, they cost too much and You get minor loot. Max Cloak, then up engines for Evasion (it's ok to have more than 4 bars in this case, even if this mean over 100% Evasion with Cloak. Sometimes You want to flee, fast.).

Forget damage-less fights until You get shields. Asteroid fields/suns = restart unless You have good engines that power up FTL fast.

Forget defeating Zoltans unless You know "the trick" (if You target X rooms with beam, it will damage super-shield X times with *beam damage minus normal-shield*. Not sure if it's glitch or just quantum physics but before I discovered this Zoltans = restart) or have some rapid-fire laser/drone/whatever. No additional weapons = 2+ beams needed = heavy damage or death.
Also try to target shield room first, as it will make shields go down before beam cut through next room (so it would take more damage)

Run if You have to (yay for upgrading engines). Really. Especially early, early loot isn't always worth it.

Stealth A is only... okayish for me since it's not what I like about Stealth B (... that's no moon.). It's not bad ship mind You. I think it's actually more forgiving than B since You start with 2 different weapon systems (laser+beam) and this make it more flexible.