What is your favourite ship - and why?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
drblacknife

Re: What is your favourite ship - and why?

Postby drblacknife » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:01 pm

Engi A- for the ion lasers at the beginning giving a devastating effect (Until you run out of drones :roll: )
William Sstrider

Postby William Sstrider » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:39 am

This may sound weird but The Vortex, mostly because it's the only ship I have been able to win with. I know it may seem bad at a first glance, and that's because for most things it is. But it has an advantage that I didn't notice for a while. And that advantage is the sheer number of blue options that can be unlocked with the starting equipment. I was able to get over three hundred scrap from the blue options in the first two sectors alone, and that's not counting the scrap I got from the battles I won. By the end I was so powerful no ship but the Flagship itself could do any damage to me. Also the Vortex is red.
itg

Postby itg » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:23 am

I'd have to go with the Slug A. It feels very "surgical," sniping enemy crew members from afar without so much as scratching the paint on their ship. The scrap bonus for the crew kills is great, and you generally feel like you've earned it with this ship, unlike with so many boarding ships.

The Stealth ships are also a lot of fun. I actually like playing the DA-SR 12, since there are so many "auto-loss" scenarios which you can actually survive if you play it just right--usually by eating a ton of hits so you can save your cloak for that shot you can't afford to eat.

William Sstrider wrote:This may sound weird but The Vortex, mostly because it's the only ship I have been able to win with. I know it may seem bad at a first glance, and that's because for most things it is. But it has an advantage that I didn't notice for a while. And that advantage is the sheer number of blue options that can be unlocked with the starting equipment. I was able to get over three hundred scrap from the blue options in the first two sectors alone, and that's not counting the scrap I got from the battles I won. By the end I was so powerful no ship but the Flagship itself could do any damage to me. Also the Vortex is red.

That's actually a good point about blue options for the Vortex, though I still think 300 scrap from blue options in the first 2 sectors is extremely good luck. I'd sell just about all the Vortex starting equipment to buy a decent weapon, blue options or not.
William Sstrider

Postby William Sstrider » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:33 am

itg wrote:I'd have to go with the Slug A. It feels very "surgical," sniping enemy crew members from afar without so much as scratching the paint on their ship. The scrap bonus for the crew kills is great, and you generally feel like you've earned it with this ship, unlike with so many boarding ships.

The Stealth ships are also a lot of fun. I actually like playing the DA-SR 12, since there are so many "auto-loss" scenarios which you can actually survive if you play it just right--usually by eating a ton of hits so you can save your cloak for that shot you can't afford to eat.

William Sstrider wrote:This may sound weird but The Vortex, mostly because it's the only ship I have been able to win with. I know it may seem bad at a first glance, and that's because for most things it is. But it has an advantage that I didn't notice for a while. And that advantage is the sheer number of blue options that can be unlocked with the starting equipment. I was able to get over three hundred scrap from the blue options in the first two sectors alone, and that's not counting the scrap I got from the battles I won. By the end I was so powerful no ship but the Flagship itself could do any damage to me. Also the Vortex is red.

That's actually a good point about blue options for the Vortex, though I still think 300 scrap from blue options in the first 2 sectors is extremely good luck. I'd sell just about all the Vortex starting equipment to buy a decent weapon, blue options or not.

Oh I did. Two Ion Blast II and a pike beam, plus an anti ship drone and a beam drone. Nothing lived lol. The flagship almost got me though. FInal phase I finished with three hull points left. Only reason I survived was because I had a cloaking system. And I boarded their stupid triple missiles. That extra scrap really came in handy.
Iranon

Postby Iranon » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:32 pm

Vortex is a bit swingy. Many blue options, and you can play for taking ships intact (Heavy Laser is good at letting the air out. If the enemy is close to blowing up, you can strip the shield with the laser, then ionise the O2).
Early on, taking a hit to weapons hurts though. You need both to do anything, and one of them takes quite long to recharge. Drones don't fully compensate for a one-man crew, neither for repelling boarders nor for damage control. Also needs additional weaponry quickly.

Favourite is the Slug A, for pretty much the reasons already mentioned. Tight play early on matters a lot here - how to station limited crew, if and how to use the bombs (which deliver a fantastic effect for their speed and power consumption). Slight mistakes can lead to a lot of unnecessary damage.
Eliwhat

Postby Eliwhat » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:21 pm

I'd have to say either the zoltan A or the Rock B, Zoltan A WRECKS with just ions and the halberd beam. But then again rock B, just get a teleporter and you have a fire boarding ship (OP). :)
Mr_Pink

Postby Mr_Pink » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:06 am

I would have to say the Osprey or as people have been calling it "The second fed cruiser" I love the artillery beam and the fact that i get 4 different crew members.

Maybe someone could explain to me tho the Mantis "A" ship? I have played a few play throughs on with that ship and I must say is not my favourite. I must be using it wrong or upgrading the wrong systems because I do not ever make it past sector 5 in that ship.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:01 am

Mr_Pink wrote:I would have to say the Osprey or as people have been calling it "The second fed cruiser" I love the artillery beam and the fact that i get 4 different crew members.

Maybe someone could explain to me tho the Mantis "A" ship? I have played a few play throughs on with that ship and I must say is not my favourite. I must be using it wrong or upgrading the wrong systems because I do not ever make it past sector 5 in that ship.

The Mantis A is great but it does take some work. I put one mantis at the helm, the engi in the engines, and 2 mantises into the teleporter. Don't bother with the laser and just use the bomb to take out a pesky medbay or missile. The ONLY reason to EVER use the basic laser is to take out a shieldless drone that can't hurt you.

Other than the basics (Get your 2nd shield quick and your 4th engine not too long after that) you want crew. This ship really benefits from a 4th mantis and then a L2 or L3 teleporter. Getting 4 mantises on the enemy ship makes the game win itself. Here's a trick: Send the first 2 guys over and run them around the enemy ship until your teleporter is ready again, and then send the other 2 guys over. It's a poor man's 4-man teleporter!

You want better weapons pretty quick but that small bomb can see you through the first few sectors. Just run away from shielded drone ships and OP Zoltans. You'll be getting extra scrap from encounters where you win (because you kill the crew, not the ship) so you can afford to run away when things are not in your favor.

In addition to the 4th mantis, you also want other crew as well. It's easy to neglect engines, shields, and weapons when you're happily slicing up the bad guys in their ship, but those stations are actually important.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Iranon

Postby Iranon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:09 pm

Mantis A is a boarding ship that can deal with Zoltan and Drone ships right from the start, and it's less awkward than the Slug B.
Not as powerful as the pure boarding ships though - higher starting value and excellent defences mean that Mantis B and Crystal B need really rotten luck to fall behind before they find a tin opener.
Mr_Pink

Postby Mr_Pink » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:35 pm

5thHorseman wrote:
Mr_Pink wrote:I would have to say the Osprey or as people have been calling it "The second fed cruiser" I love the artillery beam and the fact that i get 4 different crew members.

The Mantis A is great but it does take some work. I put one mantis at the helm, the engi in the engines, and 2 mantises into the teleporter. Don't bother with the laser and just use the bomb to take out a pesky medbay or missile. The ONLY reason to EVER use the basic laser is to take out a shieldless drone that can't hurt you.

Other than the basics (Get your 2nd shield quick and your 4th engine not too long after that) you want crew. This ship really benefits from a 4th mantis and then a L2 or L3 teleporter. Getting 4 mantises on the enemy ship makes the game win itself. Here's a trick: Send the first 2 guys over and run them around the enemy ship until your teleporter is ready again, and then send the other 2 guys over. It's a poor man's 4-man teleporter!

You want better weapons pretty quick but that small bomb can see you through the first few sectors. Just run away from shielded drone ships and OP Zoltans. You'll be getting extra scrap from encounters where you win (because you kill the crew, not the ship) so you can afford to run away when things are not in your favor.

In addition to the 4th mantis, you also want other crew as well. It's easy to neglect engines, shields, and weapons when you're happily slicing up the bad guys in their ship, but those stations are actually important.

Ok! :D I knew you had to use your crew teleporter but wasn't sure on the rest.

Just tried it now and made it to the last sector :D I absolutely agree on the fourth mantis, Maybe even getting a rock crew member? Thats what was working for me anyways. Thanks for the help!!