Need shopping opinions for Slug Cruiser (without AE content)

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Ophiuchus

Need shopping opinions for Slug Cruiser (without AE content)

Postby Ophiuchus » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:18 pm

I'm playing my first run with the Slug Cruiser after unlocking it. I'm on normal and I almost ruined the run because of buying the cloaking instead of something more useful. After a really hard time I managed to come around because of sheer luck (10 fuel and a Halberd Beam) exactly when I needed it.

So now I got some scrap and I dont want to repeat my mistake.

My crew: 2 Slug; 1 Engi; 1 Zoltan; 1 Human; 1 Rock
My Slug Cruiser:
* Hull: 21/30; Fuel: 14; Missiles: 19; Drones: 21
* Sytems: 15 POWER; Shield: 6; Engines: 5; Medbay: 2; O2: 1; Cloak: 1; Weapons 5; ( Pilot: 1; Sensors: 0; Doors: 2; )
* Weapons: Halberd Beam; Dual Lasers; Heavy Laser I; Anti-Bio Beam; Pike Beam
* Augments: Repair Arm; Scrap Recovery Arm; Slug Repair Gel

I'm not sure how far I am from the last stand. I'm in a store and my next jump is the exit beacon of the sector.

The Store:
* 4xMissiles@6; 2xDrones@8; 9xFix Hull@3
* Drone Control (Defense Drone I)@85 ; Sensors@40; Crew Teleporter@90
* FTL Recharge Booster@50
* Hull Laser I@55; Breach II@60
* Mantis@55; 2xEngi@50

I got 147 scrap to spend. So what would you go for? Mantis & Teleport? Drones? Repair and safe scrap?

edit: Forgot to say I'm playing without advanced edition contents
Leylite

Re: Need shopping opinions for Slug Cruiser (without AE content)

Postby Leylite » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:41 pm

The Last Stand is always in sector 8. You can tell what sector number you're in by checking the bottom of the jump map (whenever it's available).

I'd recommend you sell the Repair Arm, the Pike Beam and Anti-Bio Beam, buy the drone control with defense drone, and buy the Breach II bomb. The Repair Arm is just going to steal your scrap and only give you a bit of repairs; it would be better to just avoid taking the damage in the first place, and free up that third augment slot for something potentially more useful. Your weapons loadout is pretty slow and will have trouble taking down enemy shields; the Defense Drone will keep you safe from enemy missiles until the Halberd charges up. The Breach Bomb II will be a good member of your final loadout since it can either damage shields or weapons as appropriate.

Your shields and engines are fine for this sector, particularly with cloaking; you can upgrade them more in sectors 7 and 8 if you like.

With your leftover scrap, you can either choose to save it for weapons 6, or buy Cloaking 2 immediately; either of those should help.
Ophiuchus

Re: Need shopping opinions for Slug Cruiser (without AE content)

Postby Ophiuchus » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:42 pm

Thanks Leylite, your advice was really good, I just not heeded it enough.
I got me the defense-I and the breach-II and upgraded the cloak, got some energy for powering the drone system.
What I should have done and didnt: upgrading weapons!

I am still trying to set up the ship for killing the oppenent crew, got me 2 rocks by now and have a fire beam and still have the anti-bio beam.
The weapons I tried to use is a combination of the halberd-beam, Dual Lasers, Heavy Laser and Anti-bio beam.
My biggest problem is that i have real troubles getting through the shield in a way that i can disable the other systems (medbay especially).
I have 5 weapons to either power the shield-breakers or the anti-bio beam.
And if i switch, by the time the anti-bio beam is up the shield is usually repaired and I cant knock it down again with the lasers.

I am now (mid-sector 6) offered a glaive beam and i don't know if i should buy it as it wouldn't help my weapons-grade (but it would be so nice to replace my halberd with it).
So I am thinking now:
* forget killing the other crew, go for crushing em. Sell the beams. buy the glaive (and maybe a combat-I drone)
* sell one of the anti-crew beams, get a teleporter, hope that will help me raise some more scrap, then go anti-crew
* sell one of the anti-crew beams, upgrade weapons and hope that will help me raise some more scrap, then go anti-crew
* keep stuff, raise some more scrap, then decide
* get a combat-I drone or small bomb for getting help with knocking down shield/systems without needing a weapons upgrade

never thought shopping would be so troublesome for me ;)