Best Weapon Combos

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
madattak9

Re: Best Weapon Combos

Postby madattak9 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:44 pm

3 burst MkII plus a breach bombII plus a teleporter. If your sheilds are holding, you can breach all their romms and do 3 system damage for only 2 power, paving the way for your boarding crew, and if the enemy has high shields the breach bomb can assist greatly by taking out the engines for the burst lasers.
DudeManBro

Postby DudeManBro » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:54 pm

Once, i got 2 burst laser mk IIs and a glaive beam. i also had breach missiles and a fully upgraded weapons system.
I dominated everyone in about 2 volleys.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:27 pm

Holy necro, Batman! :o
Dirka

Re: Best Weapom Combos

Postby Dirka » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:04 pm

Mauzel wrote:
However, given the 2x Ion Blast II wont be doing any dmg, and the Firebeam won't be igniting anything without available oxygen, you end up with a weapon system that cannot damage the flagship, and thus be in a deadlock. For which the only way to break is to have an anti-ship drone of some sort, scrap that could've been better used elsewhere ;p

Yeah yeah, necro up the wazoo and whatnot.

But I still feel compelled to point out that this ^ is not true. Once the oxygen breaks, the laser gunner inevitably dies, and then the AI comes online. And fixes everything. Over and over :twisted:

I actually had a config like this in a recent game, 2 Ions I, Heavy Ion, Fire Beam. I actually took out the BL II since I wanted to burn the Boss to death. This proved to be rather simple; the shields go down like nothing, stay down forever, and you can just torch the whole ship over and over again, exploding systems until everything goes splat.

Usually the repair cycles synched up well enough that the oxygen is fixed in time for you to go torching the weapons before they start firing, but if need be, you can ion them to be on the safe side.

As for the opening question:

When it comes to destroying ships, I'm rather partial to Halbert-Laser Combos. I quite like the Hull Smashers as well, since they give you the option of causing 1 or 2 damage, and breach easily.

For sheer entertainment value, the Ion-Fire combos can't be topped. You just smoke out everything in your path, and sending boarders just adds insult to injury. It's a good idea to complement this build with something that can do actual damage, otherwise you're a bit humped against scouts and assaults, but it's pretty likely that something will pop up along the way.
itg

Postby itg » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:51 pm

Here's a slightly unusual combo I ended up with in my last Noether run:

3x ion blast I
Heavy laser II
Mantis boarding party
anti ship drone (purchased in sector 8)

I think this was the first time ever I actually bought a heavy laser II, and I was surprised at how strong it was as a boarding support weapon. The ions brought down the shields quickly, then the heavy laser II easily crippled the weapons and took out the medbay. What really made the combo work is that it usually caused a hull breach and/or fire, effectively disabling the system for good. And as if that weren't enough, anyone unlucky enough to be standing in the room took 60 damage from lasers alone. I got some crew kills off targeted laser fire, without even sending in the mantises, and tons of laser kills on poor saps who crowded together trying to fix weapons or heal in the medbay.

Obviously, the combo would be even better if I could have swapped an ion blast I for an ion blast II, but you take what you can get.
Braydon

Postby Braydon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:33 am

Glaive beam is the best weapon, IF you have pre igniters, if you can knock down shields and fire the glaive beam you can isntantly kill almost all ships, or at least knock out most systems allowing for time to recharge safely.
beefinator

Postby beefinator » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:54 pm

My most comfortable flagship victory was 2 ion blasts, an ion bomb, and a pike beam. So that's enough ion damage to take out the shields in one volley, and for long enough to do 2 pike shots...

also there's an awesome not obvious (only hits a couple rooms by like 2 pixels) pike line that can hit piloting, shields, triple missile, drones, and an empty room, in one shot. :)
riktoven

Postby riktoven » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:12 pm

The best I have ever actually pulled off in a single run:

Stealth A, 4 zoltan crew, Burst Laser III, dual lasers, heavy laser II

Weapon pre ignitor, drone recovery arm, engine medibot dispersal

Anti-ship II, anti-ship I.

Target everything at shield room, watch the bubbles pop, and not be able to go back up while you sit safely cloaked and watch the opponent melt away.

Obviously a second anti ship II would rule, but I've never pulled off two in one run.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:09 pm

beefinator wrote:My most comfortable flagship victory was 2 ion blasts, an ion bomb, and a pike beam. So that's enough ion damage to take out the shields in one volley, and for long enough to do 2 pike shots...

also there's an awesome not obvious (only hits a couple rooms by like 2 pixels) pike line that can hit piloting, shields, triple missile, drones, and an empty room, in one shot. :)

There are several ways to hit 6 rooms on the flagship with a pike beam. I can't play to test right now but IIRC you can start in the O2 room on the right, and go up to the left through the empty room, medbay, doors, hallway and end in the cloak. This gives a more significant benefit than hitting the missile room as missiles work 100% until they're totally down. The cloak loses potency with every hit. And if you've got tons of ions, you don't need to hit the shields with your beam.

Of course you can do the same in the other direction in phase 2 to hurt their drone ability. And in the 3rd phase, I think there's a way to go up from engines to one of the hallways next to the teleporter and get 6 rooms but I may be wrong about that last part.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
vontasben

Postby vontasben » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:46 am

Vulcan Cannon, Ion Blast 2 (the one with the 4 sec cooldown) and Heavy Laser is a pretty effective way to spend your 8 weapon slots.
The ion blast takes care of shields, heavy laser gives some early damage and then the vulcan cannon shreds the enemy ship once it has a few charges.