Difference between evasion and dodging

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
moschlar

Difference between evasion and dodging

Postby moschlar » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:17 am

Hi there,

as a non-native english speaker, I'm having difficulties understanding what the difference between evasion and dodging would be. :?
Could someone please explain it shortly?

Thanks a lot!
Spazticus

Re: Difference between evasion and dodging

Postby Spazticus » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:23 am

In game terms, "evasion" (or evasion rate) refers to the percentage chance of avoiding incoming attacks.

When the term "dodging" is used, it refers to when a ship actually avoids those incoming attacks, in other words, when you see the word "miss" pop up.

Does that help clarify it for you?
moschlar

Postby moschlar » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:29 am

Spazticus wrote:Does that help clarify it for you?

Hmmm, it's still not all clear when I'm upgrading my systems!
Upgrading the Piloting Subsystem says to provide 1/4 Evasion and upgrading the Engine System says to provide 10 Dodge!
How do I work with these numbers then?
And what about the Evade percentage in the HUD?
gunnyfreak

Postby gunnyfreak » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:49 am

the piloting system doesn't give you better dodge chance (or evasion chance, basically chance of enemy missing your ship), just allows you to maintain 1/4 or 1/2 of your original evasion chance without the helmsman on the seat
Spazticus

Postby Spazticus » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:50 am

It's mostly a matter of consistency with the terms used. The evasion gained from upgrading your engine room, as well as having both your engine room and piloting stations manned, will be displayed on your HUD. That's your total evasion percentage rate, as I mentioned in my previous post. Upgrading the engines gives a base amount of evasion, as long as the engines and helm are manned. The skill levels of the crew in both the engine room and helm can boost this number further. (You can test this by moving the crew out of each room, and watching the evasion rate drop.)

Cloak will also add to evasion, but only when it's actively used. (You can see the difference in the total while it's turned on.)

Separate from this, upgrading the piloting subsystem will grant you autopilot, which grants you either 25% or 50% of your current evasion rate, under both of these conditions:

1. If there is no pilot manning the helm.
2. There IS a pilot manning the helm, but the pilot is busy fighting boarders or repairing damage in that room.

In either case, the autopilot will help you to have at least some potential to avoid attacks.
moschlar

Postby moschlar » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:58 am

Aaaah, okay!

Thank you both, I think its clear now! ;)
DarkenDragon

Postby DarkenDragon » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:56 pm

just a bit of correction, engine room does not have to be manned in order to obtain the evasion.

also evasion and dodge are the exact same thing, they just werent consistent in using 1 word.

upgrading engines will increase base dodge chance and FTL charge, manning it will give a boost to evasion depending on the crew member's skill level

but there must be a person piloting the ship in order to dodge bullets (if no one is piloting of course you cant dodge, no one is moving the ship) if you upgrade the pilot, an auto pilot will be created that will have a fraction of the dodge rate cuz an auto pilot is worst than a real pilot :P, manning this station activates the dodge chance and also charges the ftl drive (which I feel should be changed, engines alone should charge it but thats just my opinion) and also give a bonus to dodge depending on the pilot's skill

that should be all there needs to know about these 2 systems
ftl_raptor

Postby ftl_raptor » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:43 pm

There is no difference between "evasion" and "dodging"; it's an oversight on the developer's half as far as I can tell and they should change everything that says "dodging" to "evasion" because it is indeed confusing to new players.
misterfanwank

Postby misterfanwank » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:19 pm

Spazticus wrote:In game terms, "evasion" (or evasion rate) refers to the percentage chance of avoiding incoming attacks.

When the term "dodging" is used, it refers to when a ship actually avoids those incoming attacks, in other words, when you see the word "miss" pop up.

You're using the same word to explain the practical difference between two synonyms...
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:09 pm

misterfanwank wrote:
Spazticus wrote:In game terms, "evasion" (or evasion rate) refers to the percentage chance of avoiding incoming attacks.

You're using the same word to explain the practical difference between two synonyms...

He said the first one is the chance of it happening
The 2nd one is when it actually happens.