I don't get it

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
NeonSplatter

Re: I don't get it

Postby NeonSplatter » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:54 pm

[/quote]

Basically, there's a startling amount of choices involved in playing the game that might not be at all obvious on your first few playthroughs.

(75 hours according to Steam, and counting...)[/quote]

100 hours in, I still learn new things every day.
Svankensen

Postby Svankensen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:23 am

Sorry fellas, i dont tend to be this coky, but these crybabies are making me sick.

I got to the last boss' second phase (in easy) the first time i played. Then began playing on normal. Without any spoilers whatsoever, without guides, just doing the tutorial. So, guess what, for hardcore gamers this game isnt hard, its overly easy. You just need experience with resource management. There can be sector 1 "you loose" situations if you are quite unlucky with a powerfull AI ship near a sun, or in a couple other situations if you are playing one of the complicated or special ships (start with no weapons, with no shields, etc). But if you are using the Torus A, or the Krestel, or the federation cruiser (this one you can win with just the base weapons, upgrades and perhaps a defense drone or 2)? I bet you i could get a 80% win rate, and i havent even used some of the good suggestions in this and other threads, like zoltan powerstealing. Hell, i even beat the game without pausing with the Torus A (that took me about 50 tries, tho).

Why am i good at this game? Because I have extensive experience with Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, one of the hardest games around. Im considered a good player, with a 10% win rate. People complain about the randomness too, but guess what? The best player has an 80% win rate in his best account (with almost 50 games). And he doenst even play with easy races only. That 20%? Its safe to say unavoidable deaths. Could FTL be improved? In many ways, including non exploitable AI, a hard mode, and perhaps a wishing mechanic in easy, so that you can try builds. But it is a good game to the core, and one that, if it kills you unfairly, does it in sector 1-2 instead of in sector 7. It has begun boring me because it doesnt provide enough of a challenge nor enough variety in the gameplay, but seriously, its an excellent game, with relevant decision-making, limited resources management and a nice learning curve.

So, if you wanna complain about unfair hardness, try a game where other people doesnt win so easily :twisted:
Neoviper

Postby Neoviper » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:15 pm

Real men play normal their first time.
Svankensen

Postby Svankensen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:48 am

Fungah! Foiled again!
SushaBrancaleone

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:24 pm

if you are playing one of the complicated or special ships (start with no weapons, with no shields, etc).

this is where your whole argument fails....

I would like to know? have u unlocked all content?
post your highscore

cos i suspect your a noob.

i finished the game in week 2 and unlocked all content in week 3, stopped playing after week 4..

the most powerful ship in the game is one of those ships "without weapons at start" (the crystal ship B).

I will tell you what i tell most people who behave like you.

There are PRO gamers and there are casual gamers (hardcore players are just a elite kind of casual)
as in you either get PAID hard cash by some1 to play, or your just a dude wasting his time like everyone else.

Beating Onixia as a World first doesn't make you a pro... what does is money.
This distinction applies not only to videogames but to most sports.

example "oh your a pro soccer player? what team do you play FOR? How much do they pay you?"

people need to understand the exact meaning of words.

I will always admire a pro gamer as he has superior skills (like 350 ActionsPerMinute for example) and takes gaming as a job and gets paid by some1 for it.

there are 2 main categories of players
a) people who pay to play: casual - hardcore gamers; the vast majority
b) people who get paid to play - pro gamers, "chinese farmers" etc

Hardcore player, is a definition we assign to ourselves but there are no real distinguishing traits that help distinguish who is or who is not. A Pro player, is a clear and defined concept which is transferable among disciplines, you either are one or you are not.

ERGO:
pro gamers are really good players who know their shit
Any paying gamer who says he's a hardcore gamer is just a nerd with ego issues....

tbh, id rather be identified as a nerd than a hc player...
Svankensen

Postby Svankensen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:33 pm

SushaBrancaleone wrote:
if you are playing one of the complicated or special ships (start with no weapons, with no shields, etc).

this is where your whole argument fails....

I would like to know? have u unlocked all content?
post your highscore

cos i suspect your a noob.

i finished the game in week 2 and unlocked all content in week 3, stopped playing after week 4..

the most powerful ship in the game is one of those ships "without weapons at start" (the crystal ship B).

I thought you a troll, but it doesnt seem from your other posts, so ill just assume i caught you in a flaming mood.

Did you read the context? I was talking about "unavoidable deaths". A ship without weapons is subject to some of those. And seriously, the whole argument stating that the game is easy you just dismiss because i didnt mention a single boringly overpowered ship? Do you think the game is hard by chance? You know, in order to dismiss the argument?

I wont discuss ego issues with a flamer who uses the word noob, but i dont think you can say that every gamer that doesnt get paid has an equal skill, wich was the subject at hand. You just focused on generalizations of people who say they are hardcore gamers (your generalizations), and decided that those aplied to me. Well, i am an individual, so i think we can dismiss those.

SushaBrancaleone

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:18 am

good for you and yes you caught me in a flaming mood i suppose.

to my point. games are neither hard nor easy, it just all depends on how much time/commitment each of us decides to give to the game. I dont like arguments/discussions that begin by distinguishing gamers by ability because usually this kind of thinking assumes that better players have "votes/opinion with more value" and that these are the opinions devs should listen to for the good of the community... yeah right...

dissing players cos they are whining about the games difficulty.. is whining. it doesn't take us anywhere.
I wasn't assuming you where "one of those players/people" i was arguing against the picture you were describing
Svankensen

Postby Svankensen » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:47 am

SushaBrancaleone wrote:good for you and yes you caught me in a flaming mood i suppose.

to my point. games are neither hard nor easy, it just all depends on how much time/commitment each of us decides to give to the game. I dont like arguments/discussions that begin by distinguishing gamers by ability because usually this kind of thinking assumes that better players have "votes/opinion with more value" and that these are the opinions devs should listen to for the good of the community... yeah right...

dissing players cos they are whining about the games difficulty.. is whining. it doesn't take us anywhere.
I wasn't assuming you where "one of those players/people" i was arguing against the picture you were describing

Yeah, i guess i was in a flaming mood when i wrote that too. I was just sick of all the whining and complains about the game being plainly unfair, when it isnt, its almost perfectly fair save for that 10% 1st sector unavoidable death, with wich im fine.

Still, i mentioned a nice feature that could be added to easy mode, an example from dungeon crawl stone soup (doesnt have easy mode, but its a nice feature): a wishing mechanic (acquirement). You basically can wish for a piece of equipment from a broad class and get it. That makes "builds" more feasible. It could allow you to ask from categories (ions, bursts, beams, heavy lasers, bombs), or even pay for a precise item. It could even be a choice in most item dropping events, to have 2 broad categories. That would make easy more predictable and thus, well, easier.