I don't get it

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Icehawk78

Re: I don't get it

Postby Icehawk78 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:40 pm

Raikao wrote:Well first of all I just beat the game on easy...using a torus....and ion blasters.....and 3 drones....and a cloak....so yeah. So much for "playstyle".

Nobody claimed that the strategy you espoused won't work. We (well, I) claimed that your claim of "this is the only way to do it ever" is false.

Raikao wrote:Second: I have no idea how 2 people in a row can claim boarding parties are the best thing since sliced bread.

You port 2 people over, if you port them into a 4 tile room, they're pretty much dead.
If you port them into a 2 tile room the following happens : 2 guys enter and everyone starts hitting each other, they get low AND RUN TO THE MEDBAY the teleporter on RANK 3 charges up fast enough to teleport your guys back, heal them up and teleport them over again.

HOW THE FUCK can you even type something like "send your crew over 2 at a time hitting different systems"? It doesn't work, AT ALL.

The only way is to missile their medbay and THEN teleport your guys to their medbay, because guess what, you can't take out their medbay with a boarding party. It doesn't work. Their dudes heal while the medbay still works, your boarding party can't just ninja destroy a system.

Perhaps you should consider that people other than yourself have figured out a way to use boarding which works better than the manner you've described. Again, either you think I'm lying, or that I'm cheating. (I'm not doing either - I really have done well with boarding parties and consider them very valuable. I promise.)

Raikao wrote:Which is why my point still stands : It's a clunky mechanic BUT AT THE FINAL BOSSS it suddenly becomes ridiculously strong. THAT IS BAD DESIGN. Stop arguing against it seriously. Every single ship before the boss has medbays and connected layouts, or is ai controlled which makes your boarding party useless again. You can take one system to orange and then you have to teleport your guys back and have them heal up, the teleport is not reloading fast enough EVER to "send your crew over to their ship".

No they don't. Lots of early ships don't have medbays, or have only two-person medbays (which can be utilised to still kill the crew even while the AI is juggling people in and out).

Raikao wrote:And if I'm able to lock down their medbay, just so the whole boarding party thing works, guess what? I could have taken out their shields and just killed them.

You could, but that nets fewer rewards. If you have the option/capabilities to capture vs kill a ship, you should capture, every time.

Raikao wrote:Also : actually showing wether systems connect or not....how can you even lament the fact the devs are patching that in...seriously.... Jumping to a beacon only to have jump back to the one you came from because of no connection to other beacons, WHICH YOU CAN'T SEE beforehand is fun to you? dafuq.

That's the exact opposite of what I said. I specifically said "I agreed with all the people who wanted to be able to see where beacons connected in advance" as an example of me not claiming that the game was 100% perfect as-is. (I'd also prefer intra-jump autosaves for system/game crashes, but that seems less likely to be implemented.)

I very much am happy about that new feature.

Raikao wrote:So, it would seem the devs themselves are not done with patching/working on the game. Which again, makes pointing out the game's flaws seem wanted...but maybe that's just me.

I don't consider pointing out flaws bad. I'm merely pointing out instances where you and I disagree on whether or not a specific aspect of the game is a "flaw".

Raikao wrote:On a different note : Grats if you can beat the game constantly. I'm impressed with your dice-roles I guess. But sure, all my complains stem from my own inability to play the game. It's never the games fault is it? This is why almost every game forum is pretty much useless. The point I made earlier still stands. You point out a flaw and a bazillion people start screaming at you how bad you are at the game.

I'm sorry if my post seemed like "screaming at you for how bad you are". I was operating under the assumption that this was a conversation, not a pulpit for you to preach from. My apologies.
Donavan

Postby Donavan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:59 pm

Raikao wrote:And again, every point I make is down to me not being able to play the game.....So the game is perfect then. Nothing needs to be changed...this is why we can't have nice things.

Secondly, moving around dudes through the ship because the ai can't target you unless you stand still, so you can have more than 2 people boarding a ship != skill.

I can't take you seriously anymore at this point, sorry. Also, lol at telling me to "look into casual games". Yeah right xD

Not even gonna bother at this point. I'll just see what the updates bring/change and buy the successor or whatever based on that. It's amazing how that works. It's not like I'm out 60€. I don't expect perfect polish for 10 bucks, but apparently the game is perfect and I just suck at it. Got it kiddo.

It's not like your opinion on the criticism I voice is worth jack shit. All that matters is what the devs take from my and everyone elses feedback and then patch in or not.

Anyway, like I said, just not gonna bother at this point. I said my piece and that's it.

Hate to say it but boarding is good once you get the hang of it. I used Crystal B and its pretty much the ONLY choice until you find a weapon(you start with NO weapons). And it FORCED me to use something that until then i thought was pointless and useless. Then i figured out if I am only warping 2 people in then warp them in a 2 square room. If they have medbays hit it with a missile. And it got to the point i had mastered H2H with 4 people and i just placed them in a room and let them go to work. Becuase of this i had EVERYTHING fully upgraded.
The best Sci Fi game Youtube Channel

www.youtube.com/user/NerdGuy1988
DasRav

Postby DasRav » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:00 am

*sigh*

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/

Here, have a real roguelike. It even has (basic) graphics. I would like everyone who thinks FTL is too hard to play a few games of stone soup and see real difficulty. I recommend to play a kobold, then you don't have to worry about food.

I would also like to recommend classic X-Com or X-Com Terror from the Deep if you think FTL is hard and unforgiving. Those are on steam.

All three of these games (and I could find other examples if I wanted to) rely on procedual generation and random events for their gameplay and all of them are a LOT harder then FTL. And yes I have beaten all of these. For Stone Soup it took me 3 years of trying and it was only a "basic" win with one of the easy race/class combos.

My point is: FTL is hard but not to a fault. Yes you can die in the early game if you are unlucky. It is also unforgiving for inexperienced players and the big focus on micromanagement means you can screw up in many many ways. But if you analyze your mistakes, often times you will find what you could have done better. And it might well be that you die in sector 6 because you bought a done bay in sector 2 but never found good drones for it and are behind in scrap to buy other upgrades.

many people like the difficulty. If you do not like it, I am sorry. This debate is so heated because you cannot make the game easy without making it suck for the people who like difficult games.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:55 am

I hate ppl who bitch about game being too hard, yet still refuse playing on Easy.

X-Com was quite easy, once you learned that hovertanks are basically invulnerable and how to get them asap.
Terror from the Deep on the other hand was quite a shock after playing ufo1... If talking about randomness - in UFO2 if you didn't happen to stumble upon (and capture) certain enemies early on, they've appeared no more and certain research paths became PERMANENTLY blocked. One had to recognize when the game was becoming unwinnable and scrap it.

Well, that's very much like The Real Life. It takes a skill to recognize when the thing (job, project, education, relationship) you're doing becomes uneconomical - and have the guts to cut it off before it'll cost you more than you can afford.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
Misery

Postby Misery » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:41 am

DasRav wrote:*sigh*

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/

Here, have a real roguelike. It even has (basic) graphics. I would like everyone who thinks FTL is too hard to play a few games of stone soup and see real difficulty. I recommend to play a kobold, then you don't have to worry about food.

I would also like to recommend classic X-Com or X-Com Terror from the Deep if you think FTL is hard and unforgiving. Those are on steam.

All three of these games (and I could find other examples if I wanted to) rely on procedual generation and random events for their gameplay and all of them are a LOT harder then FTL. And yes I have beaten all of these. For Stone Soup it took me 3 years of trying and it was only a "basic" win with one of the easy race/class combos.

My point is: FTL is hard but not to a fault. Yes you can die in the early game if you are unlucky. It is also unforgiving for inexperienced players and the big focus on micromanagement means you can screw up in many many ways. But if you analyze your mistakes, often times you will find what you could have done better. And it might well be that you die in sector 6 because you bought a done bay in sector 2 but never found good drones for it and are behind in scrap to buy other upgrades.

many people like the difficulty. If you do not like it, I am sorry. This debate is so heated because you cannot make the game easy without making it suck for the people who like difficult games.

Unfortunately, you'll have a damn hard time convincing any of the "it's too hard/random/unbalanced/blah" crowd of anything other than what they already think. There's lots of gamers these days that really seem to have little tolerance for difficulty, as so many games these days (particularly console titles) tend to hold the player's hand all the way through, with checkpoints and infinite continues and regenerating health and blah blah blah. They're made to "be an experience" or tell a story, as opposed to be a challenge. Much to my constant annoyance.

And good luck getting that type to actually TRY any real roguelikes. Even something like Brogue or Dredmor is going to likely be still way too hard, and those are newbie-friendly games.

These games require about a zillionty attempts to beat, and you're expected to learn more and more as you keep playing, which really does go the opposite way of most big budget titles.

Too bad, too, I'd love to see more challenging games like this. At least the PC tends to get alot of this sort, if you know where to look.
Raikao

Postby Raikao » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:47 am

Misty wrote:
Raikao wrote:And again, every point I make is down to me not being able to play the game.....So the game is perfect then. Nothing needs to be changed...this is why we can't have nice things.

I never said that. I said you were not trying to play the game, instead whining and QQing because the game did not work as you wanted. Childish much?

Raikao wrote:Secondly, moving around dudes through the ship because the ai can't target you unless you stand still, so you can have more than 2 people boarding a ship != skill.

It is obviously hard enough for you to discover on your own, I say.

Raikao wrote:I can't take you seriously anymore at this point, sorry. Also, lol at telling me to "look into casual games". Yeah right xD

Of course you should look into casual games. You want games that let you play as you wish instead of forcing you to play in a particular way.

Raikao wrote:I don't expect perfect polish for 10 bucks, but apparently the game is perfect and I just suck at it. Got it kiddo.

Can you quote where did I say the game is perfect, "kiddo"? Because as far as I can tell I only said you suck at it.

Raikao wrote:It's not like your opinion on the criticism I voice is worth jack shit. All that matters is what the devs take from my and everyone elses feedback and then patch in or not.

Most of us knew the kind of game we were getting when we bought it and are quite happy with it, while it is not perfect we do not believe fixing it would include making every other half-assed try reach sector six or seven. I believe many, if not most, of the current players are playing it because of the challenge, the randomness, and how everything is stacked against you if you don't exploit every weakness the enemy has. Dying is half the fun, and the other half is finally learning the mechanics well enough to break the game and get your revenge.

What you are doing is pretty much the same as visiting a Mushihimesama Futari forum and telling the developers the game is just too hard and that you should be able to win it without spending six months practicing several hours a day or how they should change the mechanics because sliping a fightercraft between hundreds of slow moving bullets is stupid and unrealistic.

But that game isn't random you goddamn retard. Seriously, I already said I'm not gonna bother anymore but holy shit some people are so dense it's scary. The bullets follow the same pattern every time, so all it takes is memorization and skill to beat the game. FTL however is sometimes too random, and shoving around crew members from room to room is not skill but badly designed mechanics that you can exploit if you know how to. Jeez, this isn't rocket science you know.

It's like in Civ V where you always know what the AI thinks of you based on how much they offer in trade, that would probably be "skill" in your world too lmao.

Here's how to improve the game immediately by a factor of 20 : Let me choose which crew member to send on away/shuttle missions. Because without that fix EVERY single event where you can loose crew is absolutely useless and could be taken out of the game. Because even if you have a full crew, doing on of these events usually just kills your weapons/shield/pilot guy, instead of one of the useless guys. So why would you ever do these events. It's bad design. There's no evaluation here, you don't do the events if you have enough crew and don't do them if you have minimal crew...you NEVER do them period. Being able to select which crewmen to potentially sacrifice would make these events at least worthwhile if you have spare crewmen. You could even have a new crew-stat that goes up with successful away missions and increases the chance of survival.

Bam, great patch idea right there and guess what, the devs can take it or leave it. It's that simple. Fighting any kind of possible changes or criticism with tooth and nails, that's what the church is for, stop doing it in forums. Present your opinion, counter argument whatever. But apparently that's impossible without calling me bad, casual and what not. Stop stroking you ego-dick ffs. Noone cares, you think the game has no problems, fine. Say so and move on. But reducing every single bit of criticism down to "it's a player issue" must really get your pants wet or something. Holy shit.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Raikao wrote:But that game isn't random you goddamn retard.

Please calm down.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Question! Does poker take skill to play or is that just random?
Aerowind

Postby Aerowind » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:28 pm

I still find it hilarious that you insist that boarding is useless. You DON'T have to abuse the AI to make it useful. I drop a small bomb in their medbay (if they have one, and honestly, they don't until MUCH later in the game), teleport my two mantis units into their ship, and just lol as they die one by one. And if you can't do it with two, then teleport two. Or four. Or all eight of your crew. A fully upgraded teleporter has a ridiculously short cooldown and it's easy to get a huge party on the enemy ship, not that it's needed. Usually my first two men have nearly slaughtered the enemy crew before the 10 second recharge is up. Not to mention it's almost always easier when enemies start having more evasion and shields.
Matsumae

Postby Matsumae » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:33 pm

Misery wrote: There's lots of gamers these days that really seem to have little tolerance for difficulty, as so many games these days (particularly console titles) tend to hold the player's hand all the way through, with checkpoints and infinite continues and regenerating health and blah blah blah. They're made to "be an experience" or tell a story, as opposed to be a challenge. Much to my constant annoyance.

Oh man, if you've ever watched a non-gamer play L.A. Noir it has the most extreme version of this EVER

if you fail too many times in a chase, or gunfight, the game asks you if you want to skip it!! not only do you have infinite retries, if you're still bad it lets you SKIP gameplay sections so you can continue with the story :S

I still love that game, but really wish that wasn't a feature. games should inspire people to improve. it's not a book, or a movie. it's a game...

can you imagine if monopoly had a rule where if you end up in jail enough times you could just opt out of it? wtf, lol

Raikao wrote:Here's how to improve the game immediately by a factor of 20 : Let me choose which crew member to send on away/shuttle missions.

YES YES! a million times yes to this.

I'm the captain right? I should be allowed to choose who goes on these missions. when we come across a planet with a plague I can send down a single rockman (if he's on my crew). If I have all humans, let me choose 'which' human I send down.

certain events of course will still be random (station infested by giant spiders) because for that the entire crew goes in :)

Gorlom wrote:Question! Does poker take skill to play or is that just random?

stop trolling. poker doesn't have a 'you lose' card somewhere in the deck that one of the players have a chance of being given.