Fighting off boarders

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Saunderson

Fighting off boarders

Postby Saunderson » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:50 pm

I've been playing this game for a couple of days now, and I love it. The only thing is, EVERY one of my games basically ends the first time I get boarded. Doesn't matter how many people I have in my crew, these encounters either end my game or end with me jumping with only 1-2 crew members on low health.

There's probably a really simple trick to beating them (I'm assuming, since I can't seem to find another thread on this), but I can't get it. I've tried dispatching my entire crew to fight them (which usually ends with all but 1-2 of my guys killed off), and i've tried sending my entire crew to another part of the ship and trying to suffocate the intruders (which usually ends with the boarders utterly destroying my ship, and THEN killing off everyone).

Like I said, I love this game, but literally every round ends for me as soon as baddies get on. Any strategies/tips/ideas?
icepick

Re: Fighting off boarders

Postby icepick » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Doors help a lot. I got destroyed by boarders my first couple days playing too. You have to be SUPER careful around them.

Strats:
*Run all three of your crew to the medbay, then vent literally the entire ship save your medbay. It will force them to fight where you're constantly getting healed, and thus nearly assured victory. They will not stand around and wait to asphyxiate usually. Oh, and if you have more crew than can fit in the medbay make sure to move the rest either really far from the boarders or somewhere on the opposite side of the medbay. Even if they attack your non-medbay entrenched crew they'll have take some reasonably good damage before they get to you.
*If you DO have at least lvl 2 doors you want to string them through a string of vented rooms. So vent the room they are trying to get to as well as the one they are in. And watch them like crazy so you can shut doors in front of them as they run through. It's tricky, but you can usually kill them without using your crew this way
Iselia

Postby Iselia » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:02 pm

Two words: Med Bay.

When you get boarders, always try to lure them into the med bay. You'll heal while fighting and they'll just....die. :D One way to do this is to vent out the rooms that boarders are in. Without O2, they will flee to other rooms.

Of course, if you manage to get them locked in a room with no O2, that's great too.
Saunderson

Postby Saunderson » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Never thought of the med bay thing. I've mostly just been sending my crew as far away as I can and venting the rest. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
Herman30

Postby Herman30 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:27 pm

Definitely the med bay is the key. Another tip is to send 2 crew members to fight the boarders, when 1 is critical you send that 1 to the med bay and then send a 3rd crew member in their stead. When another of your crew members is getting critical the 1st crew member should be either fully healed or nearly, you can send them into the fray, Sending the critical crew member to the med bay and then simply repeat this until the boarders are defeated.
ftl_raptor

Postby ftl_raptor » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:32 pm

One of the first upgrades I get is the reinforced doors (the 20 scrap one) which severely delays the enemy and allows you to heal up as you make tactical retreats from room to room.

Some weapons also allow you to teleport bombs into rooms that invaders currently are, but they're rather risky as you'll end up tearing your ship apart little by little.

The trick is to make good use of the medibay or by taking the fight to the medibay. Of course, if you're outnumbered you might lose it and then all is lost because you won't be healing elsewhere.

I never vent the air, it just makes it harder to retreat and there's a good chance you'll forget to close the doors and end up suffocating your crew members.

I usually throw everyone but the pilot at the invaders. If there is no enemy ship it's obviously safe to also abandon his post and he can join the fight.
Aegis

Postby Aegis » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:44 pm

Saunderson wrote:I've been playing this game for a couple of days now, and I love it. The only thing is, EVERY one of my games basically ends the first time I get boarded. Doesn't matter how many people I have in my crew, these encounters either end my game or end with me jumping with only 1-2 crew members on low health.

There's probably a really simple trick to beating them (I'm assuming, since I can't seem to find another thread on this), but I can't get it. I've tried dispatching my entire crew to fight them (which usually ends with all but 1-2 of my guys killed off), and i've tried sending my entire crew to another part of the ship and trying to suffocate the intruders (which usually ends with the boarders utterly destroying my ship, and THEN killing off everyone).

Like I said, I love this game, but literally every round ends for me as soon as baddies get on. Any strategies/tips/ideas?

See this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2739
Clearing the airspace.