Help!! First time in Sector 8 in Hard!

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Hogwarts9876

Help!! First time in Sector 8 in Hard!

Postby Hogwarts9876 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:37 am

First time in Hard at all actually. I've just got to Sector 8 in Zoltan B. Current weapon loadout: starting weapons plus Small Bomb (though I have a Fire Beam and a Pegasus Missile in storage), and 6 weapons power. 3 shield layers, 7 engines, basic Medbay and Oxygen (probably ought to upgrade the O2 to avoid being hacked to death) and 2 bars in Drones (Combat and Defense I, with Ion Intruder and Fire Beam drones in storage). 16 power bars (plus 2 Zoltan) and 7 scrap.

What do you suggest for the boss? What do I need to do differently in Hard than in Normal or Easy?
Leylite

Re: Help!! First time in Sector 8 in Hard!

Postby Leylite » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:21 am

The biggest difference to the boss (that you will notice right away once you jump to him) is that the laser artillery and missile artillery chambers are connected directly to the main cabin in Hard mode, giving the Flagship two extra empty rooms. This means it's much harder to keep the missile room damaged since the Flagship can cycle out injured crew, and bring two crewmen in to repair it.

I don't know how many missiles you have left, but it may be worth swapping out the Small Bomb and using the Pegasus Missile, two ion blast Is and the Pike Beam (and using your time in Sector 8 to upgrade weapons to 7 so you can run all of that at the same time). This would let you wait until after the Flagship's second cloak, then immediately fire the Pegasus missile at the shields and then start ionizing them (and deploying the combat I drone) to bring the shields down and let you start Pike beaming things. Some additional missiles at the shields, or possibly cloaking, hacking or the Halberd beam artillery would also help.

Phases 2 and 3 are going to be difficult since 3 shields and 7 engines are not enough to protect you against the power surges, but the faster you can kill the Flagship, the better, so I would once again try to focus on utterly destroying the shields system, which should be easier since cloaking won't be around to give the Flagship time to recover.

You should have plenty of practice fighting 4-shield ships with good evasion in Sector 8, so make sure your tactics are up to the job! Try to arrive at Flagship Phase 1 with at least 20 to 25 hull if possible (30 hull would be excellent, of course).

Good luck! Go get them!