Help needed.

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Rashidashidashibu

Help needed.

Postby Rashidashidashibu » Mon May 26, 2014 4:58 pm

I have questions i need answering. And i hope you guys could help me.
1. When the flagship attacked me with its missiles i activated my cloaking but got hit by one of the missiles anyway, is that possible? If so, when is the best time to activate cloaking? Before the enemy fires or as they fire?
2. Is there a way of getting more crew members, like, a lot of crew members?
3. Do i get more scrap if i destroy more systems? Or is this just coincidence?
4. I'm playing on my ipad so is there a difference with the ipad and the pc version?
5. Do weapons have different accuracy rates? Or is it just the enemy's dodge/evasion?
And btw, i'm new, so go easy on me. :D
spacecadet13

Re: Help needed.

Postby spacecadet13 » Mon May 26, 2014 11:57 pm

Hi and welcome, hope you are enyoying the game!

1) Activating the cloak boosts your evade by 60%. So if your 'base' evade before cloaking is 40%, you'll be at 100% when cloaked and untouchable. However, if your base evade is below 40%, you'll be less that 100% when cloaked, and FTL will frequently go 'MWAHAHAHAHA' and hit you in the worst possible room at the worst possible moment...
As to when to cloak, it's situational, depending on what weapons you have and what weapons you are facing.
2) Yes, there are usually multiple opportunities to buy additional crew members or have them join you after encounters or events - up to a maximum of 8. There are also multiple opportunies to lose said crew members as well ( clone bays will - usually - bring them back)
3) Do you mean for destroying more systems on the flagship? Not sure, its never occurred to me so I've never noticed it.
4) Not played on Ipad but my understanding is that the game rules/mechanics are the same.
5) Evade/ accuracy of your weapons is determined by the enemy ships engine level, though Flak I & II do have reduced chance to hit compared to other weapons. All other weapons are equally worthless/useful with regards to accurracy. As with cloaking your ship, FTL will frequently allow you to miss when you really need a hit...
itg

Postby itg » Tue May 27, 2014 4:12 am

2) If you want lots of crew, a teleporter will give you a lot of blue option to help you get them. Also, killing the enemy crew gives you a chance to find a prisoner/slave as a reward. And of course, you can always buy them at the shops.
3) Just a coincidence. You will get better rewards if you kill the enemy crew, though.
5) Flak weapons are more likely to miss because they target a random point in the red circle, and that point may be outside of any room. Beam weapons never miss. Otherwise, all weapons are equally accurate.
Rashidashidashibu

Postby Rashidashidashibu » Tue May 27, 2014 4:42 am

Thanks a lot! Didn't know you could get more scrap by killing the crew, i usually blow the ship up ASAP.
I'm loving the game. :D especially the advanced edition. The guys who made this are awesome.
I have another question: does all the sectors have that beacon that shows the description of every beacon in a sector? Like the one with the automated ship guarding it.
SirFancyCake

Postby SirFancyCake » Tue May 27, 2014 7:12 am

No, the chance of getting a beacon that reveals every beacon description in the sector is random, and I'd say that most sectors probably don't have that beacon, sadly.
In fact, I've been in a sector once that "revealed the sector map" a full three time.... which didn't do anything the 2nd two times. :P

If you like knowing what's at beacons though, I'd recommend buying the "long ranged scanners" augment if you see it at a store. It's only 30 scrap and tells you about ships and dangers at nearby beacons! One of the best augments in the game if you ask me! :D
Rashidashidashibu

Postby Rashidashidashibu » Tue May 27, 2014 7:39 am

Yeah, definitely one of the best. i tried it on my last run and helped me a lot in avoiding dangerous beacons. Thanks! :D

I'm wondering wether the type of ship you use affects the relation you have between other races. Does it affect the relation?
itg

Postby itg » Tue May 27, 2014 8:06 am

For the most part, relations are based on what crew you have, rather than what ship you're flying. Having an Engi crewman may help you gain trust from the locals in the Engi homeworlds, for example. There is one exception I can think of, and that's an event where you run into a mantis hunter who specializes in killing Rockmen. If you're flying a Rock ship (well, technically, if you have Rock plating, but you rarely have that with any other ship), you can ram it to damage its engines.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue May 27, 2014 7:03 pm

VERY important addition to #1:

If you have shields up, as soon as a missile passes them it's decided if it's going to hit or not. You could have 150% evade and it's still going to hit. If your shields are down, things don't decide if they're going to hit until they're right at the room.

So if your shields are up, cloak before the missiles pass them. If they're down, wait until the last moment (pausing is your friend) to verify which room they're going to hit to decide if you want to just tank it or cloak.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Rashidashidashibu

Postby Rashidashidashibu » Wed May 28, 2014 3:59 am

That really is important!!! Too bad we can't see if it misses first before we activate the cloak. That would make things so easy. Hahahaha. thanks a lot. :D

itg wrote:For the most part, relations are based on what crew you have, rather than what ship you're flying. Having an Engi crewman may help you gain trust from the locals in the Engi homeworlds, for example. There is one exception I can think of, and that's an event where you run into a mantis hunter who specializes in killing Rockmen. If you're flying a Rock ship (well, technically, if you have Rock plating, but you rarely have that with any other ship), you can ram it to damage its engines.

There must be a lot more events i haven't experienced. I neeeeed to keep playing!!! Hahaha :lol:
Rashidashidashibu

Postby Rashidashidashibu » Wed May 28, 2014 6:46 am

Just reached the last phase of the boss battle and lost. :( it's the closest i got ever since i started playing. the boss started firing these lasers that came out of it's body. Weird. What system do i destroy to stop this? I only had 1 chain ion and 3 basic lasers. The crew teleporter and cloaking helped me a lot! Should've gotten that zoltan shield bypass though. Could've won with it.