How To Get The Tough Little Ship Achievement

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
BAGS_Casey

How To Get The Tough Little Ship Achievement

Postby BAGS_Casey » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:06 am

Introduction

Hello FTL players, my name is Casey and sometime in the near future I will be starting a YouTube Channel that will feature video-game reviews, previews, news, tips, and what ever I feel like. The Channel is called "Below Average Gaming Show". I hope that this guide to unlocking the "Tough Little Ship" Achievement will help give you an idea about the quality of the channel.

Guide

You will probably have to start a new game and dedicate that whole game to just earning this achievement.

1 ) Have Luck

2 ) Make sure you have enough scrap to fully repair your ship *58 I think

3 ) Find an Asteroid Field that is near a Store *Make sure you can get to the Store safely

4 ) Defeat the enemy in the Asteroid Field if there is one

5 ) Power down your Shields and let asteroids hit you *As far as I know all Asteroids deal 1 damage

6 ) If any of your Systems take damage, you get a Hull Breach, etc. power your shields back up and repair everything

7 ) Rinse and Repeat steps 5 and 6 until you only have one HP left.

8 ) Go to store and repair yourself

DONE!!!
-Below Average Gaming Show -- Coming soon to YouTube
Onirae

Re: How To Get The Tough Little Ship Achievement

Postby Onirae » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:11 am

I keep seeing this tactics, and I'm totally against it

Asteroids have a mid-high chance of fire, and if said fire damages any system, you get hull damage, making you go boom if not entirely precise micromanaging

The way I got the achievement is way easier:

Find any enemy that has a specific amount of damage (1-2 every turn), and have 2 (TWO) shields ready but disabled.

With an ion weapon, target his shield all the time (the 4 secs change ion is perfect for this), so you can pop him whenever you want.

Just get to 1 HP, pause, shoot him and reactivate BOTH shields (you never know)

Voila, achievement
Maya

Postby Maya » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:53 am

Onirae wrote:Asteroids have a mid-high chance of fire, and if said fire damages any system, you get hull damage, making you go boom if not entirely precise micromanaging

I get all the way down to 1 from 30 by asteroids and never got critical Damage to my hull i can't withstand. just get ready to jump and fix your shield with all guys if its damaged and if one of the imptortant systems got hurt, then get up your shield and repair them, but mostly its not nesseccary to fix everything, just ensure that O2, the Engine, the Shield and the Cockpit don't get hurt. And if you can't manage fire that good, then just decompressure everything except the Medbay and a room near it, then also fire isn't a problem anymore.

And finding a enemy ship with calculable damage near a store is a littlebit harder than just stay in an Asteroid-Field, especially if you need to play more time to buy a bigger shield.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:19 am