Post your Highscore

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Boof

Re: Post your Highscore

Postby Boof » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:00 pm

UltraMantis wrote:Lookin good there Boof. :D And all on normal too. Good thing about FTL is that even when you get the hang of it, it stays tough. Just less frustrating.

Welcome to the forum. Oldgamer?

Thanks for the welcome :)
Not sure if you're asking if I'm old or coming from some community called Oldgamer. The answer is hope not to the former and no to the latter.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:01 pm

My bad. Thought for a moment you were someone i knew. :) No offense intended, it was a reference to old games not old gamers. :)
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
nafuid

Postby nafuid » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:49 am

rannl wrote:Your thoughts ?

Wow. Nice scores with the tough ships. My leader board is all Crystal/Rock/Mantis.
Oka

Postby Oka » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:50 pm

rannl wrote:Your thoughts ?

how did u get that score with Kestrel B?
i only got high score with ships that starts with a telepad.
rannl

Postby rannl » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:13 pm

:twisted:
Oka wrote:how did u get that score with Kestrel B?
i only got high score with ships that starts with a telepad.

nafuid wrote:Wow. Nice scores with the tough ships. My leader board is all Crystal/Rock/Mantis.

The basic boarding tactic is a solid one, but since boarding ships generaly start with weak/no weapons, they are at a disadvantage against some of the early fights (AI ships), forcing you to flee and lose scrap, and optionaly also get damaged.
A major scoring factor is jumping to as many beacons as possible, and destroying/capturing as many ships as possible.
Fighting the rebel elite fighters gets you more ship kills, but in order to do so you must have a weapon configuration which can knock out the rebel's weapons - which is where boarding ships tend to fail, since most players would not invest in many weapons as they want to capture ships.
Keep in mind that the elite ships have experienced crews which can repair systems very fast, requiring constant damage to the weapons system. Having only 2 mantis borders will not be enough to kill the rebels/knock out the weapons, since the rebel ships have a med bay, and hitting the med bay will remove the focus from taking out the weapons.
I managed to capture elite fighters with a boarding party of 4 mantis with the Basilisk, as 4 experienced mantis fighters can kill a human before he manages to run away to the med bay.
Just a few pointers :)

Keep on FTLing
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:33 pm

Also, fire weapons and rock crew are impossible for the AI to deal with since they never vent their ship.
rannl

Postby rannl » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:14 pm

GoldenShadowGS wrote:Also, fire weapons and rock crew are impossible for the AI to deal with since they never vent their ship.

Agreed. Rock boarders + fire bomb/beam is an excellent combo.
Ranarius Webfoot

Postby Ranarius Webfoot » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:22 am

Just used rock boarders + fire bomb to great effect with the Shivan on Normal, to get a new high score! Wooo!
The secret is, drop a firebomb then teleport your rocks into the newly vacated room - the fire will burn down the system while your rocks keep the enemies from extinguishing. Used that on the cockpit of the boss; he then had 0 avoid and thus couldn't deal with my laser spam.
The Scrap Recovery Arm was pretty sweet, as well as the FREE Hull Repair Drone I picked up. The Hull Repair Drone repairs an average of 4 hull points for 1 drone part - drone parts are not too rare (I had leftovers), and I had a drone recovery arm for my defense drone, so it's almost free hull repair - if you buy drone parts, they're 8 each, which translates to 2 scrap per repair, which late-game is better than you get at shops!
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:35 pm

And hull repair drones can be used during battle if needed.
Ranarius Webfoot

Postby Ranarius Webfoot » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:08 am

They can, but I always wanted my only two drone slots for my Defense and Anti-Personnel drones. I was staying at around full hull anyway with my Hull Repair drone, so if I was in a situation where I was in danger of going from full to dead in one battle, I likely would have needed one or the other of those two more than a few extra hull points.