So how do you beat this game?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Tarlok

So how do you beat this game?

Postby Tarlok » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:39 pm

I have every ship unlocked, limitless resources, and I still can't kill the last boss? So far what I have figured out is the crystal ship is garbage against the later rebels. No matter what ship I uses its garbage on the last stage and that is with a full upgrades......on easy.

To be plain about it, what ship, weapons and augments do I have to have to finally beat this game?

Signed,

Seriously thinking I got ripped off for 5 bucks.
Ranarius Webfoot

Re: So how do you beat this game?

Postby Ranarius Webfoot » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:52 pm

You need to have enough lazorz to overcome 4 layers of shields, AND to account for the fact that the enemy has high evasion. A Breach Bomb 2 or Ion Bomb to the cockpit will take out their evasion for a bit (Ion Bomb is better IMO) if you have one. Missiles work too except against stage 2 because of the stupid defense drone. How I first won on Easy was by having enough lasers for a 7-laser salvo and repeated Ion Bombs to the cockpit, as well as max shields and max cloak (which I pretty much only used to dodge the triple-rocket attack, since the other weapons usually can't pierce max shields). How I won on Normal was , in each stage, teleporting boarders into the top two disonnected weapon rooms to take out their threatening weapons, then after its teeth were drawn, simply firing all of my weapons at their shield rooms at once and hoping some get through. (And making it so the weapons with a higher breach/fire chance are last in the salvo... when I did damage to the shield room AND started a fire, it was pretty much over.)

It is, though, entirely possible to end up with a setup that cannot possibly beat the boss. Know your enemy, know your options, plan ahead.
Tarlok

Postby Tarlok » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:02 pm

So a ship that comes with a ton of lasers or has the possibility of having a ton of lasers. I don't use my transporters much as the anti boarding drones tend to kill crew quickly and opportunities to get new crew are few and far between. I will try the laser thing though as that may yield fruit.
BKT

Postby BKT » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Tarlok wrote:I have every ship unlocked

Fed ship can destroy every enemy ship in the game without any other weapon; using Artillery beam + Burst laser 2 that it start with.

Tarlok wrote:limitless resources

1. Get 1 or 2 Pegasus missile launcher
2. Have both of them autofire at the boss
3. ????
4. PROFIT!

This work on every ship. :mrgreen:
Neverpraying Mantis

Postby Neverpraying Mantis » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:31 pm

You can probably win with every ship, though some are simply better than others because some are really very challenging to play and are much more luck-dependant.

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rebel_Flagship

I played around 30 games before I beat the boss on easy with Kestrel Type B for the first time, then I beat it again on my very next run with the Mantis Cruiser Type A. It really only gets easier but there is always some luck involved.

Maybe you just have a fundamentally bad strategy against the last boss, it really makes things easier if you know what you are doing - first priority is usually to take out the rockets (first gun right of cockpit), then Ion gun (to the very left) and then usually the laser on the very right.

Easiest way to do this is to teleport your crew in there to beat up the gunner and trash the gun.

Other than that you really need a gun that can penetrate the shields - either a missle or a bomb, though the second one is better for stage 2 because of the defense drone shooting down your missles. At least on easy you really don't need anything especially fancy, if you simply show up with a ship with reasonably high upgrades in good shape and some decent guns you can do it.
Ranarius Webfoot

Postby Ranarius Webfoot » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Tarlok wrote:So a ship that comes with a ton of lasers or has the possibility of having a ton of lasers. I don't use my transporters much as the anti boarding drones tend to kill crew quickly and opportunities to get new crew are few and far between. I will try the laser thing though as that may yield fruit.

If your sensors are level 2, you can see whether or not they have antipersonnel drones (they usually don't). Final boss, only stage 2 has antipersonnel drones. Also, the weapon rooms on the final boss are inaccessible from the rest of the ship, so you can safely teleport to/from those rooms without worrying about drones. Of course, you may also want to keep your warriors on your ship to fight off ENEMY boarding drones...
But yes, basically, I have never come even close to winning without a ton of lasers. Bomb weapon to negate their evasion REALLY helps, but after disabling their deadly weapons, a large enough salvo until enough shots got through worked well enough.
(Missiles also work, if you have more than 1 missile in the air at a time on stage 2, but I haven't used missiles much yet.)
Dr_Zegobob

Postby Dr_Zegobob » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:42 pm

I favor the Ion Blasts to take down shields because they do really well at it. They are very useful on the Flagship, and with an Ion Blast Mk. II, you can do tons of damage with drones/other weapons. I like to use one Ion Blast Mk. II and two Ion Blast Mk. I weapons at the same time, as it just rips through shields and other systems. Try to target the shields with the Ion Blast Mk. II and use the Ion Blast Mk. I for taking out the engines, weapons, drones, or cockpit.

Missiles or the Crew Teleporter does well also, but I favor Ion Weapons since I am quite new to this game. I just thought I would share how I favor taking down shields and destroying the Flagship.
My ships:
Kestrel A, Engi A, Engi B, Stealth A, Stealth B, Zoltan A, Zoltan B, Rock A, Federation A, Federation B, Mantis A, Mantis B.
Ships listed in green are ones that I have scored a victory with.
Tarlok

Postby Tarlok » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:53 pm

So ion weapons + missiles = fail. Even when I shut down their transporter with one of my ion beams they still can use it? I did well up to the second part of the fight but then the game just went into "screw you you will never win mode". Seriously about to use a trainer on top of the profile that got me the ships and the editor that gives me tons of resources. Easy should not be this difficult to beat, save that crap for normal or hard.

You can't decrew it. You can't out shield it. No matter what you do they will still board you with bots. To add to the icing on the cake you can't totally shut down its weapons. Shutting down its systems does nothing as it still uses them. Drone spam, even with the drone control shut down.....what kind of crap is that?

This was with the zoltan super shield model B ship as well. If that thing can't withstand the attacks nothing can.
Ranarius Webfoot

Postby Ranarius Webfoot » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:32 am

The second-stage final boss has a drone spam attack that doesn't require it to have a drone control station - right before it does this, the words "Warning: Power Surge Detected" will pop up and it will make an alarm sound.
All its other drones will be shut down if you take out drone control, though.
Before you take out drone control, it will spam boarding drones at you - but only one at a time. So if it doesn't appear near any important systems, like, it shows up in an empty room and immediately starts battering down the door to your sensor room, you can just ignore it for a while, thus ensuring that it won't be replaced with another one which might show up in your cockpit or something.
The drone spam attack, it can be useful to save up your cloak for that - the drones won't even attack you if you're cloaked. TP guys to take out the triple rocket cannon (top middle) first.
breadsmith

Postby breadsmith » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:29 am

The problem lies in not knowing the fundamentals of the game. Excepting Power Surges, the boss cannot use broken systems just like every other ship. If you break a weapon, it will be down for the remainder of the round unless it's crew member is still alive. Ion + missiles is a rather lackluster concept at best because they are both best used for the same thing. A defense drone will stop both boarding drones and help against missile spam. With the cheats you are using the only excuse on normal as to why you can't beat the game is that you don't know how to play yet. Buying your way to the world series doesn't equate to being good at the game.