Boarding vs Destroying

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Abnaxis

Re: Boarding vs Destroying

Postby Abnaxis » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:45 pm

UltraMantis wrote:Killing the crew without destroying the ship is all that matters.

I don't know if that's always true. When I've used Engi A to asphyxiate, I've never gotten a choice for what slave I want from a slaver ship. Half the time, none of them survive.
Dash_Headlong

Postby Dash_Headlong » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:58 pm

Same boat as Abnaxis. Seems like if I kill the crew with boarders, I get the option but when I asphyxiate (in my experience) you get the "EVERYONE is dead so you strip the ship, what a shame" ending. I have only gotten to pick one of the three if I won with a live boarder still on their ship.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:05 am

Abnaxis wrote:
UltraMantis wrote:Killing the crew without destroying the ship is all that matters.

I don't know if that's always true. When I've used Engi A to asphyxiate, I've never gotten a choice for what slave I want from a slaver ship. Half the time, none of them survive.

You capture the ship and get higher scrap reward and a higher chance to find a weapon, so for that purpose killing the crew is all that matters.

If you also want a chance to find a prisoner or slave then you'll have to capture the ship without asphyxiating everyone. Whithout life support, everyone on the ship dies.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Alsojames

Postby Alsojames » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:32 pm

Why board when you can use Ion weapons to keep their weapons from working and their Oxygen down? Muahahahahaha >: )
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:53 pm

After playing the FireStarter, and a modified version of it I made to be a bit more in line with the power of the normal starting ships, I gotta say burning them out is the way to go. About as hard as boarding (maybe more) and it's sooooo fun watching them burn.

And so long as the ship still has air, you can still save a prisoner even if every single square of the ship is on fire.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Jerjare

Postby Jerjare » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:12 am

Sometimes I think killing the crew without boarding is even more satisfying. Slug A weapons are designed for this. 2 hits with the anti bio beam does the trick. With either fire or vacuum, at a certain point the enemy crewmembers wont try and repair if it will kill them. If they only have 2 or 3 crewmembers to begin with its easy to trap them in one room and wait till they choke out.
ImplacableTardigrade

Postby ImplacableTardigrade » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:00 am

I'm sure this is common knowledge, but do boarding parties destroy systems even when a single hull point is remaining, ensuring their own deaths?
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:09 am

ImplacableTardigrade wrote:I'm sure this is common knowledge, but do boarding parties destroy systems even when a single hull point is remaining, ensuring their own deaths?

Oh by all means they do. And it's a horrible tragedy when it occurs. :o
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
featherwings

Postby featherwings » Mon May 13, 2013 10:11 am

Is this true with the slaver events? I've suffocated the crew several times and always seem to get the "everyone on the ship is dead" or "you find a stowaway" options, never the "pick one of three" option that usually happens with a boarding victory.
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:35 pm

featherwings wrote:

Is this true with the slaver events? I've suffocated the crew several times and always seem to get the "everyone on the ship is dead" or "you find a stowaway" options, never the "pick one of three" option that usually happens with a boarding victory.

That's just bad luck on your part. Either you destroy a ship's hull or kill all it's crew, everything else doesn't factor into the results.
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!