Getting owned by missles

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
grooftl

Getting owned by missles

Postby grooftl » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:58 pm

Noob here playing that square engi ship on Normal difficulty. Best score so far ~1950 at 6th system.

I always try to upgrade shields to 3rd level, but run into enemies who all have missiles that chew up my hull - fast! Then I have to waste most of my scrap repairing.

Only 1 time in all games have I seen something - a drone I think - that can intercept missiles. I think I had like 3 scrap at the time and it cost like 50 or 80.

Any tips on countering missiles? I can rarely buy anything good like teleporter since so much scrap has to be used repairing hull.
Kolkko

Re: Getting owned by missles

Postby Kolkko » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Defense drone costs 50 scrap and shoots down missiles pretty reliably (also shoots asteroids). MkII costs 75 and shoots down lasers too, but may let missiles through while doing that. Don't go to shop beacons before you have 50 scrap (or something to sell to make that number).

Upgrading engines improves your evasion. Lower levels are well worth the price if you don't have defense drones.

Cloak helps to dodge them, obviously. Might not be wise to float 150 scrap before last few sectors, though.

When given a choice, avoid fights when you see missile weapons on the enemy ship.

Avoid rockman sectors, they like missiles.
afedyuki

Postby afedyuki » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:16 am

That's a problem right there. The way the game designed, you can't win if you invest heavily into one type of defense and ignore others. There are weapons that can completely negate a specific defense type. You can't shield against missiles and you can't dodge beams. Essentially, you have to have:

(shields OR cloak) AND (upgraded engine OR defense drones)

grooftl wrote:I always try to upgrade shields to 3rd level, but run into enemies who all have missiles that chew up my hull - fast! Then I have to waste most of my scrap repairing.
joojoo1975
Location: DeeeeeeeeeP InnnnnnnnN SPAaa(cough Hack Cough) space

Postby joojoo1975 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:39 am

afedyuki wrote:That's a problem right there. The way the game designed, you can't win if you invest heavily into one type of defense and ignore others. There are weapons that can completely negate a specific defense type. You can't shield against missiles and you can't dodge beams. Essentially, you have to have:

(shields OR cloak) AND (upgraded engine OR defense drones)

totally agree. I just spent a few hours trying to get my rock cruiser past lvl 6(disable fleet mod ftw)

in my exploits, I lost prolly 4 gold fisted rockmen(2 to an asteroid killin pirate ship b4 I could beam em back and the other 2 to a AI drone cloaker. Both times the enemy had missiles blowing my hull to shite. and what finally did me in was another 3 bubbled pirate ship that I couldn't crack the shields with my lasers b4 missiles did me in(and the fact my 2 mantys(non gold) couldn't kill crew or knock out weapons bay in time.

On the other end I've tried playing with a missile ship, but shops/scrap is too few in-between to have enough ammo to finish off the baddie.

I know I'm new. but really wish missiles were like a shield soaker or something. maybe have certain missiles do double dmg to shields or hull. I don't know, but having them bypass shields entirely. . . sucks.

I prolly should go look at how to mod and see if I can do just that.
To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless
BluntInstrument

Postby BluntInstrument » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:02 am

The best defense against missiles is a Mark 1 defense drone. Unless they enemy has two missile launchers (very rare) they pretty much negate almost all missile damage. Mark 2 probably isn't worth it b/c they'll shoot down lasers too, which leads to them letting missiles through. A mark 1 defense drone is also great for saving money in hull repairs.

Furthermore, since you can see at the beginning of the fight whether your enemy has missiles, you can choose to only use them when they're needed.

Evasion is also important. You should have plan to have at least 40 - 45% by the end of the game IMHO (so make sure to get your crew leveled up).

EDIT: oh yeah, the mark 1 defense drone also shoots down boarding drones. This make it amazingly OP against the Rebel Flag ship.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:22 am

BluntInstrument wrote:EDIT: oh yeah, the mark 1 defense drone also shoots down boarding drones. This make it amazingly OP against the Rebel Flag ship.

OP when it does it's job properly. I was pulling my hair out when one managed to miss three incoming boarding drones in a row... :cry: It was the only time i wanted to open fire at my own drones.

Welcome to the forum. :)
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Heyga4Huk

Postby Heyga4Huk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:58 pm

Offense is the best defense. If the enemy has a large missile launcher, it will usually power down first. So overpower his systems before that.

The most reliable defense against the small missile launchers is having additional weapons power and clever rearrangement so you can take a hit to the weapons room and still fight. Sure, they fire often, but there's only 10% chance to hit your weapons room, which is the only critical room if you follow the aggressive style :)
lovelyme

Postby lovelyme » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:51 am

so important to own have a missles in the game..
because... this weapons is the one of the.. big..
hit.. to the enemies.. so just keep on.. so that you
can purchase.. a missles
Many people are finding that blow gun offer quite a challenging and fun sport.