Starlight Inception Kickstarter

Talk about cool new indie games, Kickstarters, bundles, etc.
Robert_V_Frazier

Starlight Inception Kickstarter

Postby Robert_V_Frazier » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:29 pm

One space simulation game is great; two is even better! Please take a look at the Kickstarter for Starlight Inception. If you like it, I hope you'll back it, as I did. It looks to be a very cool game, and the project could really use some help at this point. I'm not associated with the project, other than backing it. I'd just hate to see it fail to get funded.

Thanks!
Stelly

Re: Starlight Inception Kickstarter

Postby Stelly » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Hey,

Might have a look at this but with 18 days remaining its going to be tight, I dont agree with him saying its a dead genre, I mean look at the X3 series, thats going strong and another game out this year :)

Stelly
Tybot

Postby Tybot » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:49 pm

I've got this game on my radar (HUGE Freespace fan back in the day) but I've got a couple reservations. Their claims of being able to make games on a budget actually makes me more concerned, as I'm not looking for a budget game. They've got some better looking 2D art, but I'm not sold on the art direction for the fighters and weapons. Seems shallow, I know, but I'm a stickler for that sort of thing. I'd like to see some more concept art in case what they have isn't reflective of the final direction.
Samson

Postby Samson » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm glad that someone posted this already. I am seriously excited for another Space combat game. We need more games of this sort. I'm more worried about them being successful on the kickstarter support than if the game will end up being worth it. I view anything I support on kickstarter like gambling. There is a chance they won't get my money and if they do I'm betting on it being good.

I see the chance of another space combat game worth my potential $15.
Robert_V_Frazier

Postby Robert_V_Frazier » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:33 am

Tybot wrote:I've got this game on my radar (HUGE Freespace fan back in the day) but I've got a couple reservations. Their claims of being able to make games on a budget actually makes me more concerned, as I'm not looking for a budget game. They've got some better looking 2D art, but I'm not sold on the art direction for the fighters and weapons. Seems shallow, I know, but I'm a stickler for that sort of thing. I'd like to see some more concept art in case what they have isn't reflective of the final direction.

Don't let that hold you back. The graphics are still in the planning stages. From the FAQ:

The art I'm seeing doesn't look finished - is this the final look of the game?

No. Regarding the art you're seeing and the teaser, these are all early concepts for the game, and culled together footage that will never be used in this form, not a real formal teaser announcement. From what I can glean, Kickstarter is meant to get projects going, not to fund projects that are far along in their lifecycle, although that definition has been changing. I might not have been clear enough on the page - we are really really early here. Like, concept doc early. Everything you currently see, logo, ships, etc. will change as more team comes aboard and we really get going. Game Development are iterative. This one is no different.

$150K isn't enough for this kind of a game - why is this all you're asking for?

150k isn't enough for this type of game.

However, that is only a part of the total budget, and the two principals, myself and my wife, Melissa aren't taking any salary for this, no matter how much comes in from Kickstarter. We are also kicking in some of our own cash to make this happen.

But as always, which projects you choose to fund is up to you. I think Starlight Inception is as worthy of backing as FTL, and I backed them both. Mainly because I want to play them both!
CanadianWolvie

Postby CanadianWolvie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:07 am

Er, why wouldn't I just go and play say Evochron Mercenary?
Bedshaped

Postby Bedshaped » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Stelly wrote:Hey,

Might have a look at this but with 18 days remaining its going to be tight, I dont agree with him saying its a dead genre, I mean look at the X3 series, thats going strong and another game out this year :)

Stelly

It's definately a dead or dying genre.

Besides X3 nothing else exists that was made in the last decade besides a few promising freeware stuff based on FreeSpace 2. As a huge fan of spacesim, I don't really like X3 either :(
Tybot

Postby Tybot » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:44 pm

So it appears they're listening over there, as they just posted some fighter concept art. Still could use some polish, but it shows promise. I threw in $15 in support, we'll see if they manage to coax more out of me.
Samson

Postby Samson » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:43 pm

They've had my money since they said "Space Combat". Unfortunatly I can't afford throw in any more than I already have.

I do like the concept art they've posted. None of the fighters shown seem very iconic but it's a great start
Samson

Postby Samson » Tue May 08, 2012 4:19 pm

Not mentioning anything new for Starlight Inception other than a bump and stating that they have 11 hours left in their kickstarter drive.

If you want to see this game get made and have been sitting on the fence, please support it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732 ... nceptiontm