Convoy

Talk about cool new indie games, Kickstarters, bundles, etc.
precursormar

Re: Convoy

Postby precursormar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:00 am

Can anyone that has played the game weigh in: what are the biggest differences between Convoy and FTL, in terms of core gameplay?
Noobjuice
Location: Engi Hive 01000001 01110101 01110011 01110100 01110010 01100001 01101100 01101001 01100001

Postby Noobjuice » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:09 pm

precursormar wrote:Can anyone that has played the game weigh in: what are the biggest differences between Convoy and FTL, in terms of core gameplay?

Here's some of the big differences I noticed:
  • There's nothing chasing you in convoy, so the game's difficulty is a bit more forgiving as progress is controlled by the player.
  • The story is a bit weak, it's basically just a long string of references (one major quest-line re-enacts a scene from clockwork orange, for example).
  • Also, you can't use your gear in random encounters, and the random encounters are a lot more unpredictable and harsh, which can be frustrating at times.
  • The combat's a lot of fun,though. The weapon timing and positioning vehicles feels similar like FTL, and so does the vehicle upgrades and loot system.
  • Also, the game isn't well optimized and plays terribly on potato-end systems like mine. :mrgreen:
In my opinion It's not as good as FTL, but it's still a lot of fun in it's own right. I'd recommend checking it out if you get the chance.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:31 pm

The combat's a lot of fun,though. The weapon timing and positioning vehicles feels similar like FTL, and so does the vehicle upgrades and loot system.

I'm not really sure about that part. I've watched Biohazard's videos on Convoy and eventually it becomes rather stale. in FTL, you're on your toes as the enemy might be armed with weak lasers which can't get through your two shield layers or they might be the Missile Master. You have to change your strategy a lot to stay alive and your game can be made or broken by a single missed shot.

Convoy is essentially "Keep shooting the enemy vehicle until it dies" with little strategy beyond "Avoid that cliff" and "Shoot this one first because the EMP is sort of annoying."
I guess when you're low on scrap and have to prioritise repairs over new items then it gets more tense but so does FTL.

So it's a good solid 30+ hours of many playthroughs but it's no FTL.