What does Indie mean to you?

Talk about cool new indie games, Kickstarters, bundles, etc.
Master1742

Re: What does Indie mean to you?

Postby Master1742 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:45 pm

When I think of Indie games ^^. I think of very nice people looking to make something for the community... and not the next CoD game series.. ect. I am so sick of repeat games, and FTL for one thing is something new and breath taking!!! I have never played a game where I can pilot a ship manage systems and also have direct command over my crew! Sure there is eve online ship game mmo but nothing like this or as in depth. There is not a crazy micromanagement system, therefor the game really looks like it would play well and only having to move a guy here and there, aim there pause and power up said system... its fairly fun and not actual work :D. I caaaaan't wait to play this!
Master1742

Postby Master1742 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:47 pm

angelocire wrote:Yeah, I simply don't like it when people start mindlessly bandwagoning on trends demonizing groups.

Indie vs. AAA is not a matter of "good vs. evil" or even "original vs. formulaic"; it's a simply a matter of "publisher-backed vs. not".

And remember, good indie companies can easily become AAA compaies by becoming publishers a la Valve.

Yea you see how much that guy notch I think his name is made from minecraft??? Games becoming more popular than CS almost XD.
CanadianWolvie

Postby CanadianWolvie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:17 am

angelocire wrote:Yeah, I simply don't like it when people start mindlessly bandwagoning on trends demonizing groups.

Indie vs. AAA is not a matter of "good vs. evil" or even "original vs. formulaic"; it's a simply a matter of "publisher-backed vs. not".

And remember, good indie companies can easily become AAA compaies by becoming publishers a la Valve.

That would not be accurate regarding Valve, they started out under a publisher, Sierra IIRC. It was by seeking means of self publishing (delivery of bits and bites) with Steam that Valve pissed off Sierra big time, IIRC they tried to sue the pants off of Valve over Steam.

At confusion here seems to be not just the definition of Indie but Publisher as well, since any Indie in a very real sense is becoming a Publisher, just most likely of their own games only, in other words, Self Publisher. Self Publisher and Indie should be basicly interchangeable as concepts and labels but for our purposes that is too general a definition I bet.
Master1742

Postby Master1742 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:39 am

If you want to go further than indie roots... look at team fortress 1 it was a MOD, nothing more.... and now look where it is... its like one of the main reasons peoples play on steam now is for that and CS, my friend brandon plays like a bot on legendary btw... just wanted to put that out there!
CanadianWolvie

Postby CanadianWolvie » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:49 am

Indie Devs being a thing go back even farther than that, it used to be that if you knew the right websites, you could make an order and the Dev of a Dos game would send you a floppy in the mail. I was so happy when digital distribution became more of a thing.
Paul

Postby Paul » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:52 pm

I know this isn't a definition, but "indie" to me means the person answering your e-mail question is the person who made the game. Once somebody gets a "support team", that's when they lose the warm fuzziness indie games give me.....
Qhesz

Postby Qhesz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:58 am

I just stumbled across this article: "What makes a game indie: a universal definition" http://sinisterdesign.net/?p=1618
Worth a read if you're interested in this thread.