Grim Dawn - arpg kickstarter

Talk about cool new indie games, Kickstarters, bundles, etc.
looptop

Grim Dawn - arpg kickstarter

Postby looptop » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:53 pm

From two of the guys who made Titan Quest.
For those who just love arpg's or think they have dumbed down diablo 3 too much.
http://kck.st/I2ACkD
Just two guys working on the game they want to make, with a little help from friends on their spare time.
They have been given the Titan Quest engine and tools to build the game on and have a couple of gameplay videos up.
Stelly

Re: Grim Dawn - arpg kickstarter

Postby Stelly » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:14 am

looks good, not my type of games, I think too frenzy for me :D

Stelly
Rohk

Postby Rohk » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:05 am

I played ridiculous amounts of Titan Quest. Diablo 1 & 2 got me hooked on the genre, but TQ is where I spent most of my time. From the game play videos, it looks strongly influenced by TQ, which is a huge selling point for me. I was happy to back it, especially considering how far along they already are in development. It's always easier to back something that is more than just ideas in a notebook.
varsovie

Postby varsovie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:22 am

Rohk wrote:It's always easier to back something that is more than just ideas in a notebook.

The demo helped a lot FTL.

But yeah, Grim Dawn will kick arses.
Rohk

Postby Rohk » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:17 pm

varsovie wrote:
The demo helped a lot FTL.

But yeah, Grim Dawn will kick arses.

yeah, for sure. Being able to actually play FTL before backing was huge. There have been a lot of kickstarters that are just ideas on paper though, like that tactical shooter that didn't even have a name until more than halfway through. Much as I enjoyed the early Rainbow 6 games, I wasn't about to back a project that didn't even have a name.
hillhome

Postby hillhome » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:35 pm

If the maps aren't randomly generated I have little interest. That's what I loved most about D2 and missed the most in TQ..
Check out the fun on http://twitch.tv/hillhome!
jocan2003

Postby jocan2003 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:54 am

What i find sad is that this game is more worthy of D3 than the current D3.... D3 changed soo much feature from D2 that, well it does feel diablo but i dont know, there is just too much *dumbing-down*
Rohk

Postby Rohk » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:21 pm

I think I have to disagree with you on that, Jocan2003. D3 has been streamlined and simplified, that doesn't mean it was dumbed down necessarily. It also isn't a bad thing. Often, simpler is better. Some people aren't happy unless they are going complex math in their heads in order to figure out the consequences of taking the next step, or picking gear upgrades, but I think most people just want to play a game that is, above all, fun. D3 is certainly fun. I don't know how long it will stay fun after people start playing it, the simplicity of it's systems might hurt its longevity among some audiences, but it will increase it among others. Blizzard is making a fast, fun game and having played the beta, it is every bit as fun and satisfying as D2 was, even as TQ was for me.

I hope thats not too confrontational or anything, I just see the "dumbed down" argument poppiung up all over the internet and feel like I need to push back against it at every opportunity. Its not about how complex or simple a game is, its about how fun it is.
looptop

Postby looptop » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:39 pm

I think the argument about dumbed down occurs just because there are a people who equal fun with complex.
To them Diablo 3 is dumbed down because there is no need to actually do any math or planning ahead or whatever it is they like about more complex games.
For me the biggest loss in D3 is the skills system. The new one is boring to me, I prefer the old one or the one in Titan Quest. It is a huge part of the game for me. Therefore I won't be playing D3. I enjoy the planning part too much.
Tried the beta for a few hours this weekend, and didn't change my mind.
Rohk

Postby Rohk » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:22 pm

yeah, to each his/her own. I'm personally looking forward to D3's skill system. with the runes and different combinations, I actually think there will be a lot of depth and complexity there as people figure out which combinations are most effective. There is a lot that can be done in the math and planning department with the millions of potential combinations. It's a new system, and I think that's part of whats turning longtime fans of the genre off. we'll just have to wait and see how it works.

oh, and the beta is really dumb, I got into the closed beta a few months ago. "Here, play the first hour of the game over and over again so we can test the first 10 levels worth of content." I don't get it, its too short, it doesn't give players an idea what the game is going to play like, and it can't give blizzard much of an idea how balance issues will work out later in the game. Think about the first hour of D2 vs. that last level of hell, completely different game. we'll see though, I'm cautiously optimistic.