FTL fan-made board game (Can this go here?)

Talk about cool new indie games, Kickstarters, bundles, etc.
terrybiel

FTL fan-made board game (Can this go here?)

Postby terrybiel » Fri May 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi!

I'm working on a board game that was originally supposed to be about building and selling startups, but which mutated over time into a spaceship and mining game. The mechanics are inspired by a bunch of my favorites, from Settlers of Catan to Munchkin to DOTA to FTL. And, in fact, I reached out to the devs and got word from Justin that a fan-made, totally unofficial game made not for profit was cool to place in the FTL world. If the game is fun enough to take to the big leagues I'd have to redo the art and names of things that are borrowed from FTL.

Anyways, it's at the point where I'd like to solicit for some playtesters beyond my social circle. Any takers? The major downside (sorry) is that you'd have to print and cut your own pieces or buy a copy (at cost, $37/each + shipping) from the on-demand print service I'm using.

What I'm looking for is, of course, feedback of all kinds but especially the final stats and equipment on the winning/losing ships. That data will help a ton with tweaking/balance issues.

Here's some info to get things started, and I'd be happy to answer any questions I can!

Premise
The premise of the game is that you've been taken prisoner after mantis attacked your ship. You wake up lying in a cold iron cage until you're dragged out to the landing bay of an enormous mantis warship. Speaking through a chained human interpreter, a high-ranking mantis clicks and hisses about how they've been assigned to collect ore and other resources in this sector.

Fortunately or unfortunately for you, they've decided to make a sport of it: the first to return with enough resources will be set free and the rest will be unceremoniously killed. They shove you and the rest of the prisoners into several small, captured ships and toss you out into the void. Win by returning with enough scrap or by defeating all the other players.

Mechanics
Your ship has hull and five systems: lasers, engines, missiles, drones, and sensors. When you run out of hull, your ship is destroyed. Each system's strength is represented by dice and a roll bonus. When you use a system, you roll the dice, add any bonuses, and anything that's a six or higher is a hit.

The game board is tiles, much like Catan. You move around scooping up ore, turning it in for scrap/upgrades, and fighting each other.

Example of Combat
Steven has decided to attack Terry’s ship. Steven has an upgraded laser system with three dice and a roll bonus of two. The bonus of two means any die that is a four or higher will be a hit, since four and two are six.

Steven rolls three dice and gets results of 3, 4, and 6. The six is a hit, and the roll bonus of two makes the roll of 4 a hit as well. The roll of 3 is still a miss, since three and two are only five.

Terry gets a chance to evade some damage with his engine system. Terry’s engines have two dice and no roll bonus. Terry rolls two dice and gets results of 2 and 5. Neither of these is a success, so all of Steven’s damage will get through.

Steven has attacked Terry’s ship and caused two damage. Steven rolls the system and injury dice. The system die shows drones and the injury die shows a hit. Terry’s drone system only has one die in it, so Steven’s attack deals one damage to Terry’s drone system and knocks it offline. Further, the second point of damage goes straight to Terry’s hull. Terry places one damage token on his ship’s drone system and one on his hull.

Adding insult to injury, Terry had an engi crew member assigned to his drone system. Since the crew injury die was a hit, Terry’s engi takes a point of damage and dies. Steven better hope he can finish what he started.

Variants
Teamplay with either 1) even teams or 2) one person who starts with upgrades vs all the other players.
boa13

Re: FTL fan-made board game (Can this go here?)

Postby boa13 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:36 am

(Can this go here?)

Sure it can, that's the most appropriate sub-forum. :)

I don't have time to test this, good luck with your game, it looks good.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
terrybiel

Postby terrybiel » Tue May 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Printable paper version (First Edition!) of this is available for those who are interested. For now please PM me for link or send an e-mail to terry.biel@gmail.com. Only thing requested in particular is info on the ship configuration at the end of the game. Any and all other feedback is of course welcome as well!
Ora_unit_SR388

Postby Ora_unit_SR388 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:34 pm

Will play tonight, looks good!
Torchwood202

Postby Torchwood202 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:24 pm

I'd would like to suggest that you add some bonus cards into the fray. You can get these cards by buying them with scrap I guess. Such as...

Faulty Cloaking Device: Every time you are attacked, roll 2 dice. If the combined result is above 10, the attack misses.

Targeting System: +1 bonus to attacking

Scrap Recovery Arm: Small bonus to collecting scrap

Also, Check out this website for crafting games!
https://www.thegamecrafter.com
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:00 pm

There needs to be a shield system and things like Zoltan shields. :)