Do you believe in UFO?

Talk about anything non-FTL related here.
Allohapem

Do you believe in UFO?

Postby Allohapem » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:01 pm

Hello to all!

Do you believe in UFO?
(In UFO I mean extraterrestrials)

I hope for serious answers, it's need for social project

Thank you all.
boa13

Re: Do you believe in UFO?

Postby boa13 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Extraterrestrials visiting Earth? I don't believe it.

Life somewhere else in the universe? Quite possible.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Hoa_Binh

Postby Hoa_Binh » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:21 pm

Alien life on other planets - for sure.
Intelligent life on other planets - certainly.
Life with civilization - yes.
They have the ability to get to their moon - yes.
Possible future contact via radio or something - yes.
Visit earth - no, no FTL makes it unfeasible.

So, the short answer is no. Everything else is there just physics sucks at that part.
Last edited by Hoa_Binh on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
torsan

Postby torsan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:08 pm

spam deleted and user banned
Last edited by UltraMantis on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: spam removed by moderator
Megas Domestikos

Postby Megas Domestikos » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:07 pm

Life outside planet Earth is pretty much certain. We know most of the things related to life on Earth. We do not know how life actually formed (some say it has formed many times, even) but there are very strong hypotheses and some of them can even be tested in laboratory. Life is surprisingly simple, if you go back enough to the times when it was nothing more than RNA in a capsule drifting in our planet's early oceans. And of course, if there is no life in space, what are we then?

As for little green men, no I do not believe in any such things.

One thing to remember about contacting other species in space is that we have been trying to make contact for only a few decades. Even if the first ever radio program would be received by some alien species in another galaxy (I'm saying another galaxy because that's where they usually come from in fiction) and they sent for us, it would take millions of years for them to get here.

As for life in nearby systems, such as the famous Gliese 581, it's a long leap of faith to assume that all life is both developed and capable of powered spaceflight, and that in light speed (or FTL if it's possible) if we are talking about species living more than ~50 light years away. IMO it's safe to assume that even if there is life in nearby space, they have no technology to reach us even if they discovered us much as we don't have technology to reach them even if we knew where they are.
Space Roman
Springy

Postby Springy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:39 pm

I do believe in UFO's yes. The reason of this being an object such as a plane etc that one cannot identify (think of aircraft that get tested in the states that people see for example). If you mean the term defining alien aircraft I do not believe such a thing. I do however, believe that there is other life out there in the galaxy to an extent.
That doom player. My Doom speed demos: http://doomedsda.us/player435lmps.html
Youtube: D4V35PR1NG Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198050485606/
ExtraCheesyPie

Postby ExtraCheesyPie » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Aliens probably exist out of an ever-growing universe...
I hate FTL...

But I love it at the same time...
Zhane Canalpan

Postby Zhane Canalpan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:33 am

I think we know most of the things related to life on Earth.
do not know how life actually formed but there are very strong hypotheses
and some of them can even be tested in laboratory.
It is nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:33 am

Megas Domestikos wrote:Life outside planet Earth is pretty much certain. We know most of the things related to life on Earth. We do not know how life actually formed (some say it has formed many times, even) but there are very strong hypotheses and some of them can even be tested in laboratory. Life is surprisingly simple, if you go back enough to the times when it was nothing more than RNA in a capsule drifting in our planet's early oceans. And of course, if there is no life in space, what are we then?

Zhane Canalpan wrote:I think we know most of the things related to life on Earth.
do not know how life actually formed but there are very strong hypotheses
and some of them can even be tested in laboratory.

User account Zhane Canalpan banned for spam. This is an example of 'blending in' by borrowing from a previous forum post.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Antony

Postby Antony » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:35 am

I believe that UFOs exist, but whether or not they are extraterrestrial or not, I'm on the fence. I believe that "UFO Sighters " sincerely "believe" that they have seen an extraterrestrial UFO, aliens and/or experienced contact/abduction. There is a lot of "proof" and "cover-up conspiracies" to be found out there and a certain segment of society either really want to believe that we've been visited (brought on by avid interest in the "space race" and sci-fi films during the mid 20th Century) -or- (most probable) there may be some legitimate scientific reasons that certain people claim to have seen UFOs.

The Question (for your poll): Do I believe in UFOs (that we've been visited)?

No.

Alternate Question: Do I wish that we'd been visited?

Yes! I believe that such an event would bind the human race, our whole planet, together irregardless if it was to defeat said visiting race -or- simply prove to ourselves that we're not alone and we're just a "blue dot" with a larger scheme of things (and we'd better tighten up and get our house in order). Since neither of these things has happened, my belief that we have been visited points to "highly unlikely" HOWEVER within the next two centuries with mankind's ability to send out deep-reaching probes and signals, "slightly likely". First we need to get the space program privatized and get our butts out there and do some "extraplanetry mining", "terraforming". First stop? Let's set up a lunar colony and orbiting lunar spaceship dock as a jumping off platform to other planets (and planetary moons) within our solar system. Baby steps.....