ZX Spectrum: 30 Years Old

Talk about anything non-FTL related here.
Stelly

ZX Spectrum: 30 Years Old

Postby Stelly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:03 am

Hey,

Well the ZX Spectrum is 30 years old, even though I never owned one I had a few mates that use to own them, I was more an Commodore man myself with a C64 and Amiga, and before that I had an Acorn Electron. The Spectrum was my first serious wow look at the possibilites that games have... great computer and had a massive influcence on gaming across the world!

Anyone else on here have one or still own one? I still use my C64 and Amiga to play some of the classics :D

Stelly
Flatty

Re: ZX Spectrum: 30 Years Old

Postby Flatty » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:49 pm

i wasn't even born when the zx came out but i found one at a carboot sale a couple of years back and had to buy it just cos i love gaming and its heritage.
i think its up in my loft, makes me wanna have a peak up there

i grew up with
sega master system(and it still works),mega drive, system, and dreamcast
nes, snes, 64
and a sony playstation

after those i used pcs :D DOOM FTW!!!
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:53 pm

You couldn't hardly make the older systems stop working if you tried. My old SNES, GBC, and 64 all work fine. Nintendo builds them tough. Come to think of it, I have a couple of Genesises that were stored open air in a barn for a number of years that work to this day.
Moniker

Postby Moniker » Mon May 07, 2012 4:02 am

Warbird wrote:You couldn't hardly make the older systems stop working if you tried. My old SNES, GBC, and 64 all work fine. Nintendo builds them tough. Come to think of it, I have a couple of Genesises that were stored open air in a barn for a number of years that work to this day.

My dad actually got me into video games, and he passed down some of his older systems (old to me) like the intellivision and commodore 64 that were sitting in a storage unit in NY for god-knows-how-long. I plugged them in and they work without a hitch.
"One cannot start by saying our Earthly destiny has or has not importance for it depends on us to give it importance" - Simone De Beauvoir
CaptainQuirk

Postby CaptainQuirk » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:51 am

Ah nostalgia.

The Amstrad ZX Spectrum +2A was the first ever computer I owned.

Simple. Pure. Enjoyable. Good old days. No mucking about with Windows. No groaning over scratched disks or bloody DRM. No downloading 1GB+ updates or waiting 2 hours for a 7 disk installation to finish. Just pop in your cassette and you were ready for some 128-bit action.
Humour, reviews and rants courtesy of The Robot Overlords all at Robots Building Robots!
curithwin

Postby curithwin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:43 pm

I started off with a Vic-20 and then got a Spectrum 128k with the tape deck not the 5 1/4 floppy.

Loved those systems, but the speccy brought gaming to me with "Lord Of The Rings", "Gunship", "Elite", "Batman: The Movie", "Robocop" and a LOT of text adventures.

I'd love to get one and give it a go again with some of the excellent games - though dancing to the loading music is OUT!
xanderkale

Postby xanderkale » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:01 am

Never had a Spectrum. My first computer was the old Amstrad CPC 464 (w/ green screen). Many a happy hour spent playing the Dizzy series of games.

My first console was the Master System.
Mottikhan

Postby Mottikhan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:24 pm

I still have my first ZX Spectrum from 1982, but lost the power supply and microdrives decades ago. I mothballed it when the Atari ST and Commodore Amiga came out.

I gave my Amiga to my sister and she still has it, but like my Spectrum, it's just a nostalgic ornament.