Obligatory Diablo III Thread

Talk about anything non-FTL related here.
Samson

Re: Obligatory Diablo III Thread

Postby Samson » Thu May 17, 2012 1:50 pm

I have been playing D3 for a couple of days and it is a very good game. I don’t like the RMAH (real money auction house) so I just won’t use it. I will not be doing any PvP anyways so it’s not going to affect my gaming experience if I play with those who do. I have noticed some lag while playing. It’s very similar to what it was like playing Diablo II on a really old computer as opposed to the blazing fast death-obelisk that I am currently playing the game on. An annoyance to be sure but hardly game breaking. I did have the joy to experience the server crash on Tuesday that caused all the rage on the internet to boil over at once but it was already 10:30, so I just went to bed instead.

I really do hope they eventually add in an “offline character” mode for those who don’t want to deal with this bollocks but it’s Blizzard, so I don’t see it.
soratidus999

Postby soratidus999 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:21 pm

i agree D3 is a good game

but $80 for a game just seems so.... archaic

the server crashes and whatnot are annoying, and being is australia the american servers do have a tad of lag, only noticable when playing on my laptop instead of desktop

and WHAT THE HELL i went back to playing torchlight the day D3 was released and i realised something ONE OF THE SONGS IS THE SAME...... now i dunno if they both took audio from D2 or something.... but it was just weird

regardless, it will still be torchlight 2 for me, diablo is just a filler and/or a nice continuation to something i enjoyed as a child
CanadianWolvie

Postby CanadianWolvie » Fri May 18, 2012 4:01 pm

Always online is a deal breaker for me. Its not just D3 that this is a deal breaker for either, MMOs and FPS that are multiplayer only I am looking at you. I was really looking forward to D3 but in the end, I won't miss it, I'll live vicariously through people throwing up youtube videos for a few minutes and then forget all about it.

Indy Devs got what I want better anyways, at a price that is more affordable, and most of them won't shut my copy off because of internet infrastructure or their own arbitrary view of decency and copyright/trademark protection that their lawyers say absolve them of all responsibility.

Actively enforcing no mods, let alone supporting it, is not something I can support in good conscience. Its step backwards for gaming IMHO.
Rohk

Postby Rohk » Fri May 18, 2012 11:10 pm

When discussing Diablo 3, you really have to break it down into the Game and the Not Game.

First, the Game: It's as slick and polished as one could expect from Blizzard. It's a lot of fun alone, and even more fun with friends. The gameplay is fun, and the skills are varied enough that you rarely run into other players using the same skills with the same runes as you. progressive skills aren't necessarily better, just different, and it depends on your play style. Honestly, its everything you'd expect from Diablo The Third. It's a bit short, but with the way they did the random levels, there are some dungeons and events that are rare, so there is a lot of good reasons to replay areas. Crafting is fun, vendors are useless though. I haven't bought a single vendor item.

Last, the Not Game: The auction house, the gold one (I wont ever get started on the real money ridiculousness), categorically undermine the enjoy-ability of the Game. Random loot quickly becomes irrelevant when you use the AH. Don't do it, you'll have more fun. The always online only business is a disaster. I gave it a chance because it's blizzard, and I figured if anyone can maintain servers for a game this big, it's them. I know, I know, the game hasn't been out a week, things will calm down, but I'll still have to depend on a blizzard server for my single player experience. If there was simply an offline mode, this would not be an issue and there would be much less complaining.

In conclusion, It's a great game, but is chained down by the not game. Without all the not game, It would be worth $60. It would be a landmark game surely as much of a classics as it's predecessors. With all the superfluous "features" , it's mediocre at best, not worth the money, or the headaches. I bought it to give Blizzard a chance to prove that this "always online" business could work, but they have failed to convince me. It's a fun game crippled under the weight of unnecessary, overzealous DRM. My biggest fear is that other studios will see this as a victory for "always on DRM" and follow suit. If Blizzard can't get this right, I shudder to think how badly a normal studio might botch it.

Torchlight 2 is a ton of fun though :lol:
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Tue May 22, 2012 2:47 pm

I bought it on release cause frankly:
1 - I'm going to buy it eventually.
2 - Blizz will never lower the cost.

So I figured why not.

Of course, I didn't realize how it is essentially an MMO and China internet means it's nigh unplayable. Pretty depressing, but I'll just have to play it when I get a better internet connection someday.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Samson

Postby Samson » Tue May 22, 2012 4:01 pm

soratidus999 wrote:
but $80 for a game just seems so.... archaic

$80 for a game is archaic. When will Australia get games priced the same as the rest of the world. They say it has something to do with Australia's import laws but I don't get it personally.

soratidus999 wrote:and WHAT THE HELL i went back to playing torchlight the day D3 was released and i realised something ONE OF THE SONGS IS THE SAME...... now i dunno if they both took audio from D2 or something.... but it was just weird

The guy who did the music for Diablo 1+2 also did the music for Torchlight. Makes it feel like Saturday Morning Diablo.
CEO

Postby CEO » Tue May 22, 2012 7:21 pm

So after one playthough (beat normal with a Mage) my bulletpoint review:

The good
* The mage was a blast (hah!) to play. Abilities and spells felt fluid and mechanically "correct" with D2 in mind.
* Cutscenes (its Blizz)
* The characters were all fairly well done (some were a bit cliched) and I really did feel for a few of the characters
* Mob variety was good (similar to D2) with less reuse of skins than i remember from D2
* Crafting - I'm a sucker for it and being able to upgrade some bad gear yourself is nice.

The bad (or not so good!)
* The AH - I bought a ring on it to try it out and replaced it a few hours later. Until you get to the top tier items i don't see why anyone would need the AH. Diablo is all about item drops ... you tend to replace things fairly quickly. Selling things seems pointless due to that as well. I've had 10 items up on the AH since it launched and have sold one thing for 432g. Also, the AH interface is not very user friendly. There doesnt appear to be a way to search for items using a price filter (there is buyout, but not bid) and looking through the list is ungainly.

* Companion Str - I'm sure a lot of people like these insanely weak companions, but they annoy me. Yes, they make good meat-shields, but i want my companion to be able to kill a mob one on one while i look at the new sword that just dropped. Having it take forever for my minion to kill a single skele is unacceptable.

*No low level sets/legendaries - Seriously? Its a game about collecting gear and they have sectioned off the loot so that (basically) only rares drop in Normal. This has got to be due to the AH garbage. Since people could trade/sell set and legendary loot, the devs had to scale the drops rates WAY back. Completing the entire game without seeing anything better than a rare drop is disappointing.

*Always online - I've been kicked or lagged significantly every day since launch... all while playing singleplayer.

* Character creation - Its 2012 ... seriously, let me modify how my characters look upon creation. Having 2 templated (male/female) choices per class is so 2001. This would make some sense if your character appeared in a cutscene or something, but they dont, so let me make my skinny barbarian or my pudgy mage!

* Not so random randomness - Yes, there are parts of the game that are dynamically generated ... or at least i think there is. Nothing has been different enough that i've been sure. What i am sure of is that much/most of Act 1 is the same layout every time i've played it.

* Money sinks - So, i said crafting is "good" and it is. But the obvious money-sink side of it is not. This again goes back to the AH ... they have to make sure I'm spending my money so i don't blow up their economy.

* Health "globes" - So the main way to heal yourself in D3 is health globes that drop from defeated monsters. This works ok most of the time ... you save your potions for "oh $%^&" moments. But, potions are on a fairly long cooldown timer. When is this a very bad thing? When you are playing a character with no self heals and are fighting a boss (which isnt dropping globes). If you have old-guy reflexes this will kill you a few times as you accidentlly stand in the rainbow of doom and have already used your potion for that minute. Blargh!

I'm sure there is more on both sides, but that is off the top of my head.
Gimboid

Postby Gimboid » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:44 pm

dicesquirrel wrote:Played the beta weekend, snoooooooooozefest. Always having to be logged into a server, which can suddenly kick you off for no reason is really great too.

Qhesz wrote:Persistent online connection for a single-player game is part of the deal breaker for me. It adds nothing to the game, all it means is there's another thing that can (and will regularly) ruin the experience for me. It's blatant DRM by blizzard, and I feel they're jeopardising my experience purely for their monetary gain. I'd rather be treated like a respected user than a cash cow.

Better than D2 being full of cheats, hacked and duped items, which is impossible to prevent if all your character data and the game dropping items for you is controlled and stored on your PC.
Last edited by Gimboid on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gimboid

Postby Gimboid » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Stelly wrote:
dicesquirrel wrote:Maybe if it wasn't $60.

Thats my annoyance with the game as well, bloody 60 notes is silly money, and the price will never go down cause its Blizzard!

Stelly

they've dropped the prices on everything, SC2 is half as cheap now as it was at launch, and 60 bucks is what everyone's charging these days for AAA games (not saying its right, just saying they're no different to anyone else)
Gimboid

Postby Gimboid » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Rohk wrote:Last, the Not Game: The auction house, the gold one (I wont ever get started on the real money ridiculousness), categorically undermine the enjoy-ability of the Game. Random loot quickly becomes irrelevant when you use the AH. Don't do it, you'll have more fun. The always online only business is a disaster. I gave it a chance because it's blizzard, and I figured if anyone can maintain servers for a game this big, it's them. I know, I know, the game hasn't been out a week, things will calm down, but I'll still have to depend on a blizzard server for my single player experience. If there was simply an offline mode, this would not be an issue and there would be much less complaining.

This existed in D2, the difference was that it was a messy trade channel and forums where people spammed all the stuff they had for sale, and RMAH - already existed too, it was just being operated by dodgy websites that were taking their own cut in what were forbidden transactions.