Kestrel made in Minecraft (working systems)

General discussion about the game.
DrTacoPhD

Re: Kestrel made in Minecraft (working systems)

Postby DrTacoPhD » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:07 pm

GreenZanbato wrote:I love it, and I agree with the tekkit addon. Perhaps you could make a custom texture pack to make water invisible and the ship look nicer. Also without tekkit this would go great with the zeppelin mod so you could fly the ship around.

The Zeppelin mod would be great, but your computer would blow up. Zeppelin mod is great for small ships, but the lag will be insane on bigger ships. I would have loved to though... I would like to make a texture pack, but only after I finish the ship.
PJay

Postby PJay » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:24 am

Some time ago I got inspired with FTL and decided to re-make the Kestrel too. However fortunately while building, it started to gain such a shape I decided to be just inspired and all I kept was the basic room layout and the hull a bit. It's far from finished though.
I hope you finish your Kestrel soon.
jyxpe

Postby jyxpe » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:36 pm

I am working on a similar project atm but it is multiplayer and the ships are both larger and of my own design.
I have a few suggestions that you might find useful.

Weapons
For this I made a loop made of redstone repeaters and off one end a line of redstone came out on lamps. It was both decorative and served the purpose of sending a signal to the other ship.

Medbay
I simply used a beacon with a piston to turn it off when medbay was broken.

Sensors
I agree, sensors are more challenging but what you have done sounds good

Teleporter
I found that command blocks are the simplest and easiest to use here. The only problem I had was how to get back to the Mother Ship. On a server with Essentials, one could use /back but I don't know how to do that in single player without mods or adding another command block to the enemy ship.

Doors
I used piston for doors and I made it so that when the door control breaks, the doors are locked into place (whether it be open or closed) and players need to use service corridors to travel between rooms. I also used remote control like you said yourself.

Oxygen
I didn't use oxygen due to the difficulties of trying to suffocate people so instead I implemented a lighting system. When the lights go out, spawners appear and spawn mobs. I used lamps for lights.
I also considered dispensing potions of poison to simulate suffocation.

Engines, Shields and Cloak
This is why I used redstone for weapons, all these systems negate damage.
Shields use a small contraption where your ship meets the oncoming redstone weapon signal. It blocks one shot using pistons and then has a cooldown just like the real FTL Game.

Engines are on a loop and at some times completely blocks off the weapon signal. Simple enough right?

With cloak, I just cut off the redstone signal for several seconds. I don't know how to make ship invis though.

Drones
For drones, I had iron and snow golems on my own ship and spawn eggs ready to be dispensed on the other ship (I used blaze and skele). I made it similar to weapons so there was a redstone wire connection.

Also think about:
Hull damage
How to repair systems (I just have a switch but It takes some time to navigate service corridors)
Power (I didn't bother)
How systems take damage
Aiming weapons tele and drones

Soz about spelling and grammar, I am typing this on a phone and auto-correct is really dodgy.

Hope this helps,
Jyxpe
TurtleLuigi

Postby TurtleLuigi » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:02 pm

I've Tried to do this. It sucked BAD....
TurtleLuigi

Postby TurtleLuigi » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:08 am

I just remade my kestral using 1.5 it's better and completed. I'll make something on it later.
2corey2

Postby 2corey2 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:46 pm

ive been making the ftl as well yours sounds cooler, but i suggest getting the doors done first, mine stay open, exept for the airlock doors which are jacked up, when i flip a switch in the door room it locks down the entire ship. but seriously do the doors first, for the oxegen room, i did not do it, instead i put a ladder up into a vent system that connects to every room, which with vents open since its dark in them "intruders" or monsters can enter.
2corey2

Postby 2corey2 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:48 pm

also, the bottom is easier than youthink when looking at the reble ships from side view "rebel terrirtory" youl notice how the bottoms realy look, so you can put alot of your redstone below the ship. also in the shiled room i made a system that turns on a becon, for the distress becon, :) also put your design on planet minecraft so others can enjoy it!
Destructoid789

Postby Destructoid789 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:57 pm

I really like this idea. I just finished making a rebel elite fighter in Minecraft, but there is no functionality. It has empty room for systems. I'm going to start on a federation ship now.
ConV2014

Postby ConV2014 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:38 am

There is also a mod that has teleporters you can use
renwold

Postby renwold » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:13 am

This sounds like a really cool project, I can't wait to see more!
Star Fop - FTL Let's Play!
Thanks for watching, I'll see you next time!
Renwold|@RenwoldPlays|Ren Plays (Youtube)|(Facebook)