Autoheal crew at the end of combat.

General discussion about the game.
Max_Damage

Autoheal crew at the end of combat.

Postby Max_Damage » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:43 pm

Would ve been good if your crew healed automatically without you needing to transfer energy into med bay and transfer crew all over the ship to med then back. Also the crew mans the room they were before combat automatically. just a time saver.
UltraMantis

Re: Autoheal crew at the end of combat.

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:00 pm

wtf? Should the player then be bothered to do anything?

First it was engines, then teleport, then cloak, now someone suggested oxygen and now this? I understand than in safety recycleing systems tends to waste time, and i realise that any crew would not make a jump until they were ready and the ship secured, but there's a line between breaking immersion and gamplay conveniences.

It just seems awful to have the ship automagically patch hull breaches, repair systems, and recycle everything. Cloaking and FTL drive simple take too long and teleporter can leave you crew stranded on a burning wreck that already surrendered, so it makes sense in those cases.

What would be the point of having a medbay or repair skills if the game just automated it? Not to mention that it would remove the danger of dealing with a disabled life support system or a ship with open airlocks and doors disabled for example.

I don't want to be negative or dissmisive but it sounds like a terrible idea. It's not allways very interesting but it's a part of gameplay i would rather not have changed.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
CupcakeTrap

Postby CupcakeTrap » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Max_Damage wrote:Would ve been good if your crew healed automatically without you needing to transfer energy into med bay and transfer crew all over the ship to med then back. Also the crew mans the room they were before combat automatically. just a time saver.

I would phrase it like this:

If:

(1) The ship jumps,
(2) The ship is out of danger when it jumps, and
(3) The medbay is operational and powered when it jumps

then:
All crewmembers are at full health when you arrive at your destination.

Why?

Because if you're out of danger and have a powered, operational medbay, then the only thing between you and getting your crew back to full health is the tedious business of walking them to medbay, waiting a while, then sending each of them back to their posts.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Don't get me wrong i'm not against this as an option. But i wouldn't consider it tedium to move crew around a ship to heal them and fix things and so on, so i wouldn't use it.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Moosicorn

Postby Moosicorn » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:29 pm

What if you have a fire? Your crew shouldn't auto heal because that would make it less challenging
FDru

Postby FDru » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:27 am

UltraMantis wrote:wtf? Should the player then be bothered to do anything?

First it was engines, then teleport, then cloak, now someone suggested oxygen and now this?

FTL drive, teleport and cloak were all smart to have recycle immediately since there was no drawback to keeping them from doing so other than wasting the player's time (with the exception to teleporter, if the enemy ship was doomed and about to explode, however with the "your crew takes a shuttle back to your ship" feature that more or less justified it).

I don't expect anything else will be made to automatically refresh out of danger.
Osito

Postby Osito » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:12 pm

I don't see the need for this with the crew, but I would like to see the repair drone heal at the end of combat.