How are you supposed to use the rock ship?

General discussion about the game.
ExtraCheesyPie

How are you supposed to use the rock ship?

Postby ExtraCheesyPie » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:02 am

I run out of missiles in the second sector, and the shops have missiles for 5 scrap (Which is kinda expensive). Any tips??
I hate FTL...

But I love it at the same time...
ExtraCheesyPie

Re: How are you supposed to use the rock ship?

Postby ExtraCheesyPie » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:30 am

Also, I need some help. I got a few weapons but I don't know what to equip. Keep in mind I need 3 energy for the ion, 2 for the beam, 3 for Laser, 1 for artemis, 2 for Hull Missile.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =113182695
I hate FTL...

But I love it at the same time...
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:43 am

That ship is missile oriented so naturally you will need to be more carefull than with ships that have lasers and whatnot. You are very very strong but need to watch your supplies. Maybe you were unlucky not to get missiles as reward. In any case devote a lot of your scrap to missiles even when you get a secondary weapon.

A teleporter is also a good investment because it can remove the only obstacle you have, an enemy defense drone. That's a peach of a ship, you shouldn't be having any trouble playing it. :D
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
BKT

Postby BKT » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:07 am

ExtraCheesyPie wrote:Also, I need some help. I got a few weapons but I don't know what to equip.

Replace the Hull missile with Hull laser 2.

With that set of weapon on hand, you have a lot of option on what to use in battle! :shock: ... It all depend on what you want to do and what kind of enemy you're facing and your system power.

If you could survive long enough to have 8 power for weapons, you'll most likely ended up with Ion 2 (disabling shield) + Hull 2 / Artemis (to quickly crippling enemy's key system or just simply blow them up) + Fire beam (very fun weapon to use outside of nebula! and very powerful if use correctly)
breadsmith

Postby breadsmith » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:42 am

I find Rock A annoying as well. What I end up doing is only using the Art missile to hit weapons once, then letting the hull missile hit only hull until the enemy is dead. It's also important to note that you can't afford to farm the rebel fleet until you have reliable firepower.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:12 am

That's odd how some people react differently to various ships. I'm hopeless with the Zoltans and don't like them at all yet they are favourites for some. I tear up the highscore list the first time i try the Rock and beat the previous score by a clear 1000 pts, while other people struggle in it.

I can understand the Stealth B being disliked since it is one dimensional, but this ship should be a cakewalk. Oh well, just one of those things.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Mataza

Postby Mataza » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:41 am

Clearly you should aim for 6 weapons power and use Ion 2 and hull laser 2 as main armament.
Ion 2 alone can suppress shields until you miss 2 shots in a row.
Until then phase out the fire beam, try to disable shields with either artemis or hull missile(hull can make hull breaches, which makes damage last longer, but attacks much slower) and after shields are down swtich to Hull laser 2 to finish them off.
If you have solid defenses you can go for Ion Blast/Fire Beam and get lvl 2 sensors so you can see where you can spread fire most effectively. With Fire prioritise getting the medbay first, then weaponsbay/any system besides O2.

I could understand you having problems if you didn't get any good weapons. But you got good.
Klarth

Postby Klarth » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:30 pm

Both Rock ships are very boarding oriented. You can try going for a weapons strategy but you have to rely on luck; finding a crew teleporter is much easier. Once you get a teleporter you don't need any new weapons until you start prepping for the boss, and can devote all of your scrap to your defenses.