What would you like to see in sequels/expansions?

General discussion about the game.
hybridfive

Re: What would you like to see in sequels/expansions?

Postby hybridfive » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:22 pm

An expansion wouldn't be worth the money if all it did was expand existing content and systems. Sandbox mode wouldn't be enough to justify an additional purpose. That should be (and is) left to the realm of modders.

If they really wanted to make a sequel, they'd have to add new areas. Specifically, I think they should add shuttles, planetary encounters, and non-combat skills. They could create small zones where your crew would go and explore. So instead of exploring a lifeless scientific vessel via text, you'd have to click to move your sprites around a ship-like area. You'd have your science officer pull out the drone schematics. You'd have your diplomat negotiate with merchants. You could even make some skills mutually exclusive, and make people choose a specialty. That's possible within their system.
Milkshake

Postby Milkshake » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:30 pm

I would like to see your crew being able to man EVERY system. You'd have to make decisions based on your crew and playstyle. Also simply more of everything that is enjoyable about FTL: More weapons, ships, races, enemy's, space, systems, choices etc. And of course, if it were possible in any way: multiplayer (coop).

But let me be clear, I love FTL the way it is already :D.
Neko Yuki

Postby Neko Yuki » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:26 pm

Hello,

So, I really love this game, A LOT. Here are the things I'd love to see:

1.) Sandbox with quest. Let us gain reputation with the rebels or the federation that would affect how dangerous either rebel controlled space or federation controlled space is.

2.) More ships... I just like ships.

3.) A profile. Let us customize our crew and save those specs, I try to keep my crew more or less the same for my runs, it get's tiresome to always re-enter their names.

4.) More character customization options. Such as hair, uniform, and skin color.

5.) Add a captain. I want to choose my gender (and species) and make my captain actually appear on the ship. This would also make it so that missions could fail either if I (the captain) die or the ship gets blown up.

6.) Mission abort. Add escape pods which my crew could use. It's so heart breaking to see them die when I fail.

7.) Control crew members while they are on enemy ships.

8.) Free the slaves! Human trafficking is something that is really close to me. In the real world, when dealing with this problem, it's really easy to feel hopeless, like nothing will or can ever be done to stop it. When i run into slavers I want an option to mount a rescue operation to free the slaves off the ship and then blow the slavers to hell!

9.) Food and oxygen reserves. Add meters for fuel and oxygen (total oxygen available, so that you can't just magically generate oxygen for forever). The rate at which the meters would decay would be dependent on the number or crew members/passengers on board. So, if I have a full ship, I may be able to repair things fast, fight off small enemy shore parties but I wouldn't be able to explore as much before replenishing supplies.

10.) Veteran Recon team (only if number 9 is implemented). After beating the game on the hardest difficulty, i want to unlock a special recon ship where I can only have a small number of crew members on board but those crew members start of experienced. Likewise because there's less room needed to keep a larger crew on board, I would like the ship to start out with better armor and larger fuel/food/oxygen reserves for 'deep' space missions.

11.) Short funeral session. When my crew dies nothing really happens. I don't get a message or anything... they just die. Maybe at the end of the battle a short funeral (like the one in star ship troopers) would play where I send their dead bodies out into space in a coffin.

12.) Mutiny. If I'm spending a bunch of time doing nothing, or maybe constantly running out of food, I want my crew members to hate me and throw my sorry ass off the ship.
ExtraCheesyPie

Postby ExtraCheesyPie » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:08 pm

Neko Yuki wrote:Hello,

So, I really love this game, A LOT. Here are the things I'd love to see:

1.) Sandbox with quest. Let us gain reputation with the rebels or the federation that would affect how dangerous either rebel controlled space or federation controlled space is.

2.) More ships... I just like ships.

3.) A profile. Let us customize our crew and save those specs, I try to keep my crew more or less the same for my runs, it get's tiresome to always re-enter their names.

4.) More character customization options. Such as hair, uniform, and skin color.

5.) Add a captain. I want to choose my gender (and species) and make my captain actually appear on the ship. This would also make it so that missions could fail either if I (the captain) die or the ship gets blown up.

6.) Mission abort. Add escape pods which my crew could use. It's so heart breaking to see them die when I fail.

7.) Control crew members while they are on enemy ships.

8.) Free the slaves! Human trafficking is something that is really close to me. In the real world, when dealing with this problem, it's really easy to feel hopeless, like nothing will or can ever be done to stop it. When i run into slavers I want an option to mount a rescue operation to free the slaves off the ship and then blow the slavers to hell!

9.) Food and oxygen reserves. Add meters for fuel and oxygen (total oxygen available, so that you can't just magically generate oxygen for forever). The rate at which the meters would decay would be dependent on the number or crew members/passengers on board. So, if I have a full ship, I may be able to repair things fast, fight off small enemy shore parties but I wouldn't be able to explore as much before replenishing supplies.

10.) Veteran Recon team (only if number 9 is implemented). After beating the game on the hardest difficulty, i want to unlock a special recon ship where I can only have a small number of crew members on board but those crew members start of experienced. Likewise because there's less room needed to keep a larger crew on board, I would like the ship to start out with better armor and larger fuel/food/oxygen reserves for 'deep' space missions.

11.) Short funeral session. When my crew dies nothing really happens. I don't get a message or anything... they just die. Maybe at the end of the battle a short funeral (like the one in star ship troopers) would play where I send their dead bodies out into space in a coffin.

12.) Mutiny. If I'm spending a bunch of time doing nothing, or maybe constantly running out of food, I want my crew members to hate me and throw my sorry ass off the ship.

1) Theres a mod for that
2) Mods, but yes, they need to add more default ships.
3) Yes please.
4) Would be easy-ish to add
5) Failing missions because of a captain? No thanks.
6) There aren't any escape pod rooms
7) Uhh, you can already do that. Its been in the game since release and earlier.
8) You can, if you have a teleporter. There will be a blue option for "Teleport onto ship and try to release some slaves
9) Food would be too much micromanagement
10) Uhh
11) Not really needed
12) So if you do bad in a game, you get screwed over even more?? No thanks.
I hate FTL...

But I love it at the same time...
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:52 am

11) is a nice idea. Nothing major, just a nice touch.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
tswaters

Postby tswaters » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:54 am

I'd like to see a sandbox mode where you just fly around without the impending doom of the rebel fleet -- considering their flag ship is gone and they're in decline, it fits well for an expansion/sequel.
DrunkenRine

Postby DrunkenRine » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:34 pm

about the open sandbox idea.

it wouldnt be ftl anymore but i imagine a real galaxy with certain areas of space belonging to certain races. your journey wouldnt be linear but go here and there and back again solving quests, gathering crew, materials, equipment. you could be able to buy a new ship within the game and transfer your crew over to it. your sience bay would be where unknown technology is identified and made available to you, depending on the skill of the guy who mans it.
there would be an infinite ammount of options, making it a freelancer kind of game in a retro-style, turn-based manner. i would absolutely love it and buy, but it wouldnt be ftl anymore. it would be a new game with the flavor and style of ftl.
CupcakeTrap

Postby CupcakeTrap » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:52 pm

I'd definitely enjoy seeing more "encounters" with more detail.

I also wouldn't mind an ability to hail ships and communicate with them through a menu.
rlbond86

Postby rlbond86 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:15 am

I'd like to see stations be able to be manned by more than one person. When you only have 3 or fewer crew, there's a trade off when you decide where people go. But after you get 4 people there's literally no decisions to be made about crew assignments. I think it would be really cool if you could get extra bonuses by having multiple people people man the shields, weapons, or engines, or have a copilot. Maybe have a few different possible bonuses available, and each person gives you the ability to get a different bonus. For example, maybe your first crew member working on shields would work like it does now, but the second person there would maybe reduce ion damage to the shields, and the third might make your first shield repair much faster or something if you lost all your shields; The engine bonuses could be +evasion, then an extra chance to decrease missile and asteroid damage, then a chance to dodge drone fire and ion cannons; the weapon systems could be +fire rate, then +accuracy, then increased chance of having your missiles get through drones; and co-piloting could add extra evasion or charge FTL faster. Or, you could just add extra bonuses for more crew members, so the evasion bonuses of two crew members manning the engine rooms would stack (maybe the second/third/fourth person there would only get half the bonus or something). This way people could make real decisions about where to assign crew members. You'd actually have to sacrifice something when sending crew in the teleporter since you wouldn't have enough crew to man all of the stations.
DrTacoPhD

Postby DrTacoPhD » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:14 pm

I really like the idea of multiple people manning systems, especially the "more accuracy" on weapons. Always annoying against an auto-scout with insane dodge chance in the later sectors, although that is all part of the game.

A couple of my ideas that are not very game changing, that could even be implemented in an update:

Some missions with space stations ACTUALLY have a space station. It would be just like a ship, but with no engines, possibly no weapons or shields. You may need to help some crew on the station (using bio beam/teleporter/breach bomb-to release air and put out fires if necessary) and maybe attack enemies or repair things and such.

Multiple enemies in a single battle. They could both be small enemies, and they would appear simultaneously in the enemy box on the right. They would act independently, and even if one was killed, the other would still be coming at you.

so yea, thats my two cents. thoughts?