Anyone else find the Kestrel... a bit boring?

General discussion about the game.
ExtraCheesyPie

Anyone else find the Kestrel... a bit boring?

Postby ExtraCheesyPie » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:17 am

I find playing the Kestrel a chore. Its simple, and has no features that make it great. I find that the Crystal Cruiser is basically a better version of the Kestrel. Luckily I unlocked Layout B and got the Redtail, so I don't ever have to touch it again.
I hate FTL...

But I love it at the same time...
ZiMMy

Re: Anyone else find the Kestrel... a bit boring?

Postby ZiMMy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:28 pm

Yeah, Kestrel is common and uninteresting (just like human crew).
Sorry for my really bad english.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:07 pm

A 'bit boring' is a fair description because it's not a bad ship. It was designed a safe starting ship and has a good chance of unlocking many other ships since it can fit any playstyle. It's not better at boarding than the Basilisk, nor can it match the Torus in drone warfare, but it can get just about any job done. That is actually great because FTL likes to throw random upgrade/weapons options at you.

Every time i took the Kestrel for a run after playing another ship it felt good to have a dependable ship right away, but also very boring.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
aaOzymandias

Postby aaOzymandias » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:34 pm

It is the starting ship, so I think it does that quite well. Gives you an idea of how FTL works, is fairly simple, and has pretty standard stuff going for it.
Leak

Postby Leak » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:04 pm

As a new player to the game (12 hours played?), I like the Kestrel. Of course, I only have the Torus unlocked. :?

But I like the flexibility of it. And the fact that it's symmetrical. And the character of it. A new player feels like they should have a dependable, yet dumpy-type ship. That's what I feel I am getting with the Kestrel.

Now I just need my captain ("Leak"...she has no real title) to get a good name for the ship.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:45 pm

Welcome to the forum Leak.

Have fun unlocking stuff and making a name for the gallant ship. The Kestrel is indeed flexible and without any glaring weakness, but with enough games played it becomes kinda jaded. Eventually you''ll want a more interesting ship. Which every other ship is honestly, including the Kestrel B.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.