Raising the value of missile weap, due to no ammo sales?

General discussion about the game.
NomadWanderer

Raising the value of missile weap, due to no ammo sales?

Postby NomadWanderer » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:08 pm

I feel like missile weapons have an artificially raised value because there is no way to unload missile ammo.

Put in another way, Missile ammo is already a currency that you only may be able to use, unless you use a missile weapon. (then it is something that you can use.)

I understand the want to keep things simple, and not have multiple currencies to balance out/manage, but not having a way to unload missiles means that unless you want to accept inefficiencies/waste, you pretty much need to pack a missile weapon?
Justin
Site Admin

Re: Raising the value of missile weap, due to no ammo sales?

Postby Justin » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:32 pm

On average it seems like in decent runs (get to sector 7-8ish) you'll get 1 or 2 of the events that are "sell lots of your missiles?" events. My intention is that these largely replace a the need to sell them in stores (which I don't think we're ever going to add).

I'd be more interested in upping the frequency where missiles are used in special events (i.e. use 5 missiles to set a bomb somewhere or something). But that takes a huge amount of time for a very infrequent occurrence.

In general, we're not bothered if you have too many missiles/drone parts that you can't use. It just makes the concept of buying a missile weapon/drone more appealing during that specific run.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
SVD997

Postby SVD997 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:42 pm

I've found that I don't use missiles all that often, and prefer beam/laser weapons. If you save your missiles though, and buy 1 or 2 missile/bomb weapons, and save them for the final boss, it can make the final boss much easier. That's what I usually do.
NomadWanderer

Postby NomadWanderer » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:08 pm

That's what I'm trying to say though.. This is a huge random factor.. last game I seemed to get a ton of +Missile loot drops. It seems like every loot opportunity has chance to drop missiles... Some of them were really high numbers too...

However, I didn't get a single opportunity to trade any of those missiles for anything.. Got near the end with 40+ missiles..That screams inefficiency to me...that I wasted/left something on the table unused...Should I have sold my mediocore/avg laser weapons, and got a missile/bomb weapon? Maybe.. but I didn't get a store that sold a missile bomb weapon either..

Another way...Getting $10,000 in peso's doesn't feel as much like a windfall if you are never ever going back to mexico/have no way to cash it in......

Missiles are already a currency(any thing you accumulate, and can translate into something else is). You just get fewer opportunities to exchange that currency into a more widely used one.

What about a 'recycler'? something I can recycle missles/drones into something else at a very expensive rate? Fuel? Ship repairs? 5 missiles per fuel point?

I know you don't want a straight missile/drone to credit conversion, but weapon vendors are rare, and once you commit to an expensive weapon/platform, the ammunition/consumables that don't match that weapon/platform become worthless. You very may well not even get a chance to change weapon types.

Worthless loot = no reward.. No reward = you get the idea.
Bluevein

Postby Bluevein » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:26 am

Most people who have missile weapons and don't use them often do so because they are being cautious with their resources. I like the way the game seems to be now where there is a tipping point from when you go from only using them when needed and making sure every shot is efficient, to having enough missiles to use them as frequently as your other primary weapons. I also like the fact that you can still choose to use them somewhat sparingly in this situation in order to build up a large stockpile for the end game. Because of this I don't think the current rate missiles are received should be adjusted. But peoples strategies (underuse?) of them should be rethought at times.

I also like that if you choose not to use a missile weapon you can treat them as a potential bounty, but as Justin stated you need a little luck (and good exploration) in order to offload them for a bounty. This is much better than simply allowing them to be sold at every station, as it differentiates them from other 'resources' by frequency and means of sale. This creates an additional metagame element to the game in the form of decision making (Exploration with hope to find sale event, hording of stock, frequency of using) which differentiates this resource from others without creating additional core game mechanics and complexity.

I really like the concept of adding augmentations which can allow you to convert missiles or drone parts into scrap at a terrible rate. But I think it would be hard to find a good balance to make it work. If the augment costs 50 scrap and only converts 1 missile to 2 scrap it would take a lot of missiles to make the cost of the augment back before you start to make a profit, and it would (I assume) be important to make sure that the augment is good enough (in terms of cost vs time/resources to break even) for people to consider purchasing it or it would not be worth the real world time/cost to add the concept to the game. It would also (I assume) be important for the device on average to not be as big a return on investment as you would have received from the random 'sell me your missiles' event. The augment would in essence be a form of insurance (Against not getting a sell missile event) and thus have a 'cost' relative to what you would gain via the event, as oppose to a gamble (Better or worse than event depending on how many missiles I manage to randomly find).

Personally I think that if an augment was made to interact with the resources it would be more interesting if it converted '1 missile and 1 drone part' into x scrap. This way the augment would need to be used with more caution because most ships would require at least one of the 2 resources required in order to gain the scrap, and the augment would be useless in situations where you have 0 of either resource or you feel you can not part with any more of one of the 2 resources.
Note: I am not in the beta and base most of my perception of the game come from a massive number of YouTube playthroughs and reading of patch notes/changes.