Update 0.12.8.10 - OS X and Achievements

General discussion about the game.
Matthew
Site Admin

Update 0.12.8.10 - OS X and Achievements

Postby Matthew » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:38 am

Hey everyone! Big update that we've been working on for a little over two weeks now. This bring us close to the final state of the game. I hope you all enjoy it.

Also, if you post bugs make sure to mention if you're using Windows or Mac from now on. And please try to keep all bug reports to our official tracking site here: https://getsatisfaction.com/ftlgame . It's much more likely that we'll be able to keep track of and properly fix bugs if they are submitted there. Thanks!

Features:

-Mac OS X Beta is LIVE on Steam. Requires an Intel Mac, version 10.5.8 or above
-New playable ship (Zoltan) and alternative layouts/skins for *every* playable ship (unlocked with Achievements described below)
-40+ Achievements along with Achievement UI (within the STATS screen)
-About half are "ship specific" achievements (3 per ship) that you must be using the ship in order to earn it.
-Complete 2 out of 3 of a ship's achievements and you will unlock an additional layout/skin for that ship.
-Achievements use our own UI for now, we hope to integrate with Steam but our current focus was to make sure they weren't only available to Steam users
-Note: Federation Cruiser only has 2 achievements currently. This is not a bug, we're just not done :)
-New Sector type - Zoltan Space
-The Federation Cruiser now has a unique system that works similarly to the boss artillery weapons. It's a static, auto-fire weapon that exists separately from your normal weapon system - but prevents you from getting Cloaking
-The Top Score UI will track best scores for each ship type and layout separately, as well as maintain an overall top 5 (within the STATS screen)
-Stat window will show your last run stats if you open it from within the Gameover/Victory window.
-5 Crew "Hall of Fame" added to the stats screen for outstanding previous crewmembers
-New track from Ben Prunty
-More information added to the system tooltips (describing any possible status effect)
-Stealth Ship Hull Armor augment replaced by a System Plating augment that absorbs System damage instead of Hull

Tuning:

(Editted to try to make this more clear what I'm saying, the formatting isn't working)

EASY difficulty changes to hopefully make it more similar to normal in terms of scrap scarcity, but maintain an easier difficulty level with further reduced enemies:
1. All enemies will be easier, especially sector 1.
2. Scrap bonus is reduced slightly

Boss "Energy Shield" changes to make it easier for all builds to defeat:
1. Ion weapons do double damage
2. Bombs will teleport just outside of the shield and damage it
3. Beams will damage it
4. Damage numbers will appear when damaging the super shield to make all of this more clear

-Pike Beam and Hull Beam power requirements are now 2 instead of 3
-Text Input in the hangar works more as you would expect (arrows move the carat, holding a key will repeat that key, numbers are valid, and numpad keys function)
-Provided an escape event for if you get caught with your entire crew on the enemy ship and your teleporter is broken
-Numpad will work for all number input
-Tooltips appear faster and function more like you'd expect (mouse movement won't immediately disable)
-Less ambiguous Engi race description
-"Victory" marker is properly displayed in the top score screen on ships that you've won with

Bugs:

-Crash in certain restart / new game situations fixed
-Crash Fix: Rare crash on some enemy ship escapes
-Fixed: Sector number on the score screen would be incorrect if you had saved and resumed the game.
-Fixed: Boarding drones could stack on room locations when disabled
-Rock Armor and System Plating will properly block beam weapons
-Battle Drones will no longer paralyzed with fear in situations with too many boarders.
-Fixed: Super Shield would not draw properly if shield system was damaged/destroyed

EDIT: Forgot to do more than just list things:
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
kylarus

Re: Update 0.12.8.10 - OS X and Achievements

Postby kylarus » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:26 am

Woohoo!!! I'm super excited to see all this. I'll not be getting much sleep tonight because of this!
Hyfrydle

Postby Hyfrydle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:29 am

After this update the game won't start after the loading bar it exits to desktop.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Hyfrydle:

I don't know what could cause that. Can you please check your FTL folder for two files. The FTL folder is located at <your steam install>/steamapps/common/FTL Faster Than Light.

-In "crashlogs" there might be a dump caused by the crash. Please check the timestamps if there is more than one.

-Right in the root there might be a "stdout.txt"

If you could email me both of those (zasdarq@ftlgame.com) that would be appreciated. I'll try to fix it ASAP
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Hyfrydle

Postby Hyfrydle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:26 pm

Emailed all info requested hope it helps.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:37 pm

I sent an email in reponse as well. If you could check your "user" folder in that same location for any files and send them that would also help.

I apologize again. If anyone else experiences this please let me know. I'll fix it within a couple hours if I can get more info.
CaptainQuirk

Postby CaptainQuirk » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:55 pm

zasdarq wrote:Hey everyone! Big update that we've been working on for a little over two weeks now. This bring us close to the final state of the game. I hope you all enjoy it.

Anything? Just a little whif of a hint of a date? Pleeeease man I'm dying over here! Throw me a bone. It's like a drug addiction to a drug I haven't tried yet!!

But for serious for a second, great news cannot wait for this game to be released.
Humour, reviews and rants courtesy of The Robot Overlords all at Robots Building Robots!
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:10 pm

Hmm I had a save at sector 7 from before the update and got the "I don't need no stinking upgrades", "on a wing and a prayer", "ballistophobia" "living off the land" and "no red shirts here" for free. Did not get the "coming in for my pacifist run" despite getting the "i don't need no stinking upgrades" one (odd because both needing to only reach sector 5) And missed out on the "technophobia" one since i used an antimissile drone before the last jump to the exit node.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:31 pm

Gorlom, that's something we definitely should have considered. I'll see if I can do something to prevent that from happening for future players, but there's not much I can do for you now that it happened. I could add a button in the next day or so to strip achievements from the profile, allowing you to re-earn them if you'd like.

Thanks for the heads up on that.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:49 pm

I'm not too bothered by it. It was on easy so I can still unlock them on normal. (besides I kinda enjoy not having to "hunt" the more annoying of those achievements)

But all the same that achievement stripper button does seem nice.