Suggestion: Pictures with the text events

General discussion about the game.
Jason

Suggestion: Pictures with the text events

Postby Jason » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:24 pm

Just a quick suggestion, this is not something essential or anything but it would give the game a nice bit of polish.

The text description of events are nice but why not think about adding some pictures to the event descriptions.

I know it would be a lot of extra work but if you make all the pictures the same size and reuse a lot of them it might be doable.

Make the pictures show a scene of what the event is in a third person view instead of a top down view.

For example if you jump into a nebula and there is something hidden inside it the picture shows a portion of the nebula with a shadow in the middle of it, if you chose to investigate it the picture fades into the same picture of the nebula but with a ship or derelict or something shown, with the text description of what you found below it.

The same when you come across a derelict spaceship it shows the outside of it first then if you chose to investigate it shows a view of the inside of the ship like a corridor with some guys with flash lights exploring it then if you find anything a picture of what they found.

Make the graphics fit your game i.e. pixelised.

Hmm the border around the picture could be like a view screen show its like your look at a monitor.

Just some ideas, i know its not essential or anything but i feel it could add a lot to the game.
Warbird

Re: Suggestion: Pictures with the text events

Postby Warbird » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:58 pm

I agree, it would be a nice touch.
soratidus999

Postby soratidus999 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:47 pm

a nice touch, but kinda detracting from the roguelike feeling of the game

however if anyone could accomplish it, twould be these guys
CanadianWolvie

Postby CanadianWolvie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:36 pm

I would disagree, what is "rogue-like" in feeling is being challenged these days with the success of Dungeons of Dredmor, Hack,Slash,Loot and Desktop Dungeons. I also have enjoyed the art assets of Rogue Survivor.

Doesn't necessarily mean I agree with adding pictures to the text events, someone has to have the budget for the time for the making of and QA of those pictures, as well as the Interface would need to be tooled with to make it look well. It would also raise certain expectations, by which I mean that it would take longer to produce new content - the use of text allows for more content to be made more readily, its got a easier pipeline with out art for even a few events.

Besides, we are getting ton of art in this already, I would already put it among the games I mentioned as having notable art assets for a Roguelike. ASCII space ships this is not.
Gimboid

Postby Gimboid » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:59 pm

I think the problem with this is the pictures would very quickly be used to identify the encounter type "oh its the wrecked ship, its this type of encounter" and people would start clicking on the options without actually reading the dialog.

Personally I'm perfectly happy the way it is now with text you're required to read for the most part.