demo

General discussion about the game.
Calvinbah

demo

Postby Calvinbah » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:17 pm

Is there going to be another onlive demo or a steam demo soon or before release.

If this already another topic I apologise. :D
Muramas

Re: demo

Postby Muramas » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:23 pm

I will give you a demo!

------------------------
You see a ship
1) run away
2) Fire on it
------------------------

------------------------
1)
They shoot a missile at your ship as you are running away and you explodes.
Game Over!
------------------------
2)
You are unable to penetrate their shields, you take too much damage and you are unable to put out the fires.
Game Over!
------------------------
Calvinbah

Postby Calvinbah » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:28 am

That is one tough demo.

Ya got me there.
Calvinbah

Postby Calvinbah » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:58 am

All I'm saying is that if Endless space had a demo. They'd have one more purchaser of their very cool looking game.

If this is out of line I apologize again.
Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:00 am

I'd have to agree with you here. I've pre-purchased the game, but since i didn't have the cash for a beta key, i'd appreciate a demo- even if it were just the first sector of the beta. that wouldn't take too long to program, the devs could pop it on steam to stir up some support and i'd not have to wait until Aug/September to play FT again.....
Calvinbah

Postby Calvinbah » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Maybe they could get the trial they used on onlive and just convert it for use on steam.

I don't know I'm not a game developer so it's probably a tougher job than I make seem.
Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:14 pm

I'm fairly sure they mentioned the demo for onlive wouldn't work a while back- and it's now unrepresentative of the finished product. again, i'm no dev either so it may be stupidly complicated, but why can't they have a couple of lines of code for the demo whereby at the end of sector one the game checks if it's full or demo, and just have a simple check then goto main menu if it's just a demo. of course, that could be open to abuse if somebody discovered that line of code and removed it.....
ThePsuedoMonkey

Postby ThePsuedoMonkey » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:46 pm

As much as I want to play it, I don't really go for this option so much. One sector seems like it would be super easy and get over with way too quickly, and thus be a little bit of a let-down. That just wouldn't be a fair experience of the game, and might even steer others away from it. Maybe if they end up making the tutorial really robust and satisfying it could be used as the demo, but that seems like a lot to ask for it... I guess I'll go back to waiting in my corner :cry:
Calvinbah

Postby Calvinbah » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:50 am

That tutorial idea is a good one.

But that bit about the line of code removal is quite a pickle. :?:
Paul

Postby Paul » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:12 am

Perhaps for a truly representative demo it could be something like the tutorial, then three full playthroughs. it's a little generous, but it gives possible customers a full experience, and wouldn't allow them to abuse it. they could replay the tutorial as much as they liked.