Beta Poll Part B: For the expert FTL players

General discussion about the game.

How frequently can you beat the game on Normal difficulty?

If I have a good run it's likely that I can beat the boss with a little luck.
18%
I've tried oh-so-many times and have beaten it very few.
12%
I've yet to beat it on normal but I'm trying.
53%
I'm a strictly Easy mode player.
15%
There's an end to the game?!
3%

Total votes: 131
Justin
Site Admin

Beta Poll Part B: For the expert FTL players

Postby Justin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:58 pm

Hey guys, second poll here. Please only answer if you're in the beta and please only answer once.

I am curious about how good the best players are. Feel free to answer regardless, of course.

Bonus points - If you have not beaten it on normal does it feel like you could potentially beat it or is that just a pipe dream?

NOTE: Head to the Poll Part A if you haven't already. http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=694
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
cyrilthefish

Re: Beta Poll Part B: For the expert FTL players

Postby cyrilthefish » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:06 pm

I can't get past the second part of the boss fight on easy :(
mrennie25

Postby mrennie25 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:09 pm

I really tried on normal for the first couple weeks but I ended up more mad than happy. A lot of times I felt very unlucky. This was also before we could save, so I had good ships, but had to leave so it was erased. Since the save and quit update I've been sticking in easy mode to enjoy the game more. I like overpowering ships and having excess scrap. I don't like rage quit and not playing for a week.
Scavinger

Postby Scavinger » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Easy is a challenge that *can* be beaten in about 2-3 hours, but it's still a matter of getting key upgrades for your ship and being lucky with the weapons offered in stores or through random encounters.

I have never even gotten close to beating normal. There's a serious scrap shortage by mid-game, and I haven't been able to afford survival upgrades and repairs to get past that point.

Frankly, I think Easy should be called Normal, and Normal should be called Hard.
mctribble

Postby mctribble » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:26 pm

After the first few runs on normal went poorly, I switched to playing it on easy until I got a feel for it. I managed to beat it on easy twice now, and I'm finding that pretty difficult, but intend to start on normal soon. My main problem is that boss fight. I can get to the boss reliably, but beating it not so much. Since the last update my main problem has been the boarding drones on the second stage.
Vony256

Postby Vony256 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:30 pm

I have only beaten normal once with some luck, however i do play the game allot whenever i have spare time away from work, I find the difficulty is excellent and really lives up to the rogue like name, the end boss is an amazing fight i find, it really feels like a hopeless battle against impossible odds.
ghostroot

Postby ghostroot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:49 pm

I feel it's definately possible to beat. Although difficult, but I think it should be difficult.
Dog Pants

Postby Dog Pants » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:21 pm

I've got to the boss once on Normal but was defeated utterly by the second stage. In fact I only scraped through that on easy.
Strech

Postby Strech » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:21 pm

With normal difficulty, in 13 hours of playing I've beaten it only once but i got really close a pair of times.
I think the game should be much longer and even harder.
Did you ever play Dungeons of Dredmor? It's a roguelike with levels and items procedurally generated, and even if i played it for more than 60 hours i never managed to beat it (not even close i think) but i love the game also for this. Thanks to the variety of characters build you could make and to the variety of the items you could find it never felt repetitive.
lisapg

Postby lisapg » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:10 pm

While I haven't been able to reach the boss on easy (slow learner) let alone normal, I enjoy the challenging environment it produces. I've just started to set the difficulty to normal and while their are differences (which is good), again the difficulty is enjoyable. I don't feel hopeless while playing, just a good frustration at what I should've done before this or that to prevent my eminent doom. This usually drives me to play over and over again and to do better each time. I'm still learning how to progress efficiently but it's exciting!