A recommendation: Work on a demo.

General discussion about the game.
Jason

A recommendation: Work on a demo.

Postby Jason » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:15 pm

The reason I backed FTL and also backed extra to get into the beta is because I got to play it when you did the demo onlive.

Before the demo I watched your videos and saw the screen shots and thought it was interesting game but I was going to wait till it was released to even think about getting it but by playing it for myself changed my impression totally and made me realise how much more fun the game was by playing it with my interactions and not by watching someone else play it.

So a recommendation is for you to work on a demo for when the game is realised, not saying work on it now but do have it ready for when the game is launched it will bring in a lot more people than if you don't make one or if you make one at a later date after the hype of FTL release is over.

Also as those of us who played the onlive demo got to experience the impossible pirate at the end heh don't let the people who have not experienced fighting that ship miss out :D make the demo like the onlive version a two system demo with the impossible pirate at the end again :) but this time if you do beat the pirate don’t let them continue the game as long as they want like what the onlive demo did but instead end the game like if they died which then shows them a link to buying the game but congratulate them on beating the impossible pirate then say here is a discount to the game why not go and but the game now at a discount and continue your adventure in space :)

That little bit at the end will push a lot of people into buying the game as if they have played the demo so much that they figure out the secret to beating the impossible pirate and they do they will be hyped up a lot then throw in an offer of a discount say 5%/10% it will push a lot of them over into buying the game.

Well?

p.s. I know the chance of a demo is quite high but just thought it would be good to recommend it anyway.
Warbird

Re: A recommendation: Work on a demo.

Postby Warbird » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:57 pm

The team's stated that their main focus is having the product ready for the upcoming closed beta, so I doubt we'll be seeing a demo in the near future. Given the amount of things they have said they've added and plan to add, I'm surprised they even get on the forums or answer emails. I really wish there was one so I could present the game to others in formats other than the video(s), but that's just going to have to wait. I'd rather have a complete game ready to go in two weeks than replaying the same demo umpteen times a day and risk getting bored of it.

I can't help but wonder though, why the onlive demo wasn't adapted for more conventional use once the event ended. I suspect that it may have something to do with contractual agreements or some other legal fun. We'll see something once it's ready.
Darthcaboose

Postby Darthcaboose » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:10 am

The FTL version that featured on the OnLive event should be the demo. Beating the final impossible pirate boss was a game in and of itself, and feel free to leave the 30 minute time limit in to make the "What's past level 2" feeling last into getting people to decide to buy the full game!
Snake Plissken

Postby Snake Plissken » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:47 am

facepalm
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:49 am

I think the cash symbol in the subject line is a nice touch.
Jason

Postby Jason » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:46 am

Wtf? i genually thought that was a genuine reply till i read it and it did not make any sense lol

I wonder is it a bot or an actual person?

Anyhow the demo I suggested should be made at end of development it will defintly bring in more people than videos ever will.
CanadianWolvie

Postby CanadianWolvie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:25 pm

As far as I am concerned, these days if a video such as an LP are as good as a demo as long as they clearly don't have the screw ups of the person playing it edited out. I like things like WTF Is... for that reason and the videos the Devs shared while Kickstarter was going on to show they were working even through the Kickstarter (as if to say "We're not going to waste your money because even if this Kickstarter thing didn't get funded, we are doing this") were very effective for me in showcasing how the game would be fun.

I think the Onlive demo was a very specific usage of a demo, as this was an early build. Remember, stuff that plays on Onlive is not an indication of how it will work on your system specs and software, Onlive's system specs and software was doing all the heavy lifting.

In terms of time and cost, I don't think Demos are worth it anymore, the game itself is a "Demo" with how iterative development works and in how much media we get these days.
CEO

Postby CEO » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:32 pm

I disagree with the "demos aren't worth it anymore". Concept, I buy a lot of games after trying a demo that i otherwise wouldn't have though to try. The question (IMO) isn't whether to have a demo, its *when* to have a demo. It may be a waste of resources to do it now (if it would take a lot), but when the game is complete a demo could be a good way to garner some more attention in the weeks after launch.

Basically, your core customers will have already purchased the game at that point and you are looking to pull in impulse buys and find ways to get a bit more coverage.
rendezvous

Postby rendezvous » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:22 pm

A good demo will give me just enough to convince me it is a great game, but leave me wanting more. I like demos where I can carry on with the same character from the demo into the real game.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:28 pm

rendezvous wrote:A good demo will give me just enough to convince me it is a great game, but leave me wanting more. I like demos where I can carry on with the same character from the demo into the real game.

I'm not sure if that would work for this game. Wouldn't that kind of defeat the point of this beeing a roguelike? :?