[Suggestion] Allow Def 2 drones to toggle shooting at lasers

General discussion about the game.
NomadWanderer

[Suggestion] Allow Def 2 drones to toggle shooting at lasers

Postby NomadWanderer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:27 pm

Def 2 drones are easily countered by the enemy shooting a simple laser before the missile. This seems to happen all the time (I know of no ships that only shoot missiles).

I now ignore Def 2 drones because most ships have shields, and having a 4 power drone blocking a 1 dmg laser (and letting a 4 dmg missile through) is unacceptable.

Suggested Fix #1: Change their name to Omni Def Drone. Reduce Cost (same as Def 1) and their firing rate .

Suggested Fix #2: Allow Def 2 drones to have a toggle. (shoot lasers, Don't shoot lasers). Keep everything as is otherwise (cost/stats).

I prefer #2. I don't mind the increased cost, and power consumption, I just hate that they aren't protecting me as well as Def 1 drones are. If I could tell the drone to just focus on missiles (like Def 1 does), and do it more quickly/better than def 1, it would be great.
timaeus

Re: [Suggestion] Allow Def 2 drones to toggle shooting at la

Postby timaeus » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Yeah, as currently implemented, Def 2 drones are worthless. Def 1 drones are much more effective at blocking missiles (the whole point of def drones, really), and use half the power.

A toggle would work, though that would require a GUI change, which the devs tend to not like, as it requires much more effort. A simple prioritization would work as well.
If incoming barrage contains big missile, target that;
If else incoming barrage contains little missile, target that;
Otherwise, target whatever.
censor

Postby censor » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:06 pm

I agree.
taylorott

Postby taylorott » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:35 am

Any option that would keep that drone from firing at lasers would be awesome. Until then, I'll stick with defense mk I
NomadWanderer

Postby NomadWanderer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:48 pm

timaeus wrote:Yeah, as currently implemented, Def 2 drones are worthless. Def 1 drones are much more effective at blocking missiles (the whole point of def drones, really), and use half the power.

A toggle would work, though that would require a GUI change, which the devs tend to not like, as it requires much more effort. A simple prioritization would work as well.
If incoming barrage contains big missile, target that;
If else incoming barrage contains little missile, target that;
Otherwise, target whatever.

this won't work. Each weapon has a recharge cooldown, even the weapons on a drone.. Unless the def 2 drone is given 2 seperate weapons, 1 for lasers, 1 for missiles, then even a .5 second delayed missile (.5 seconds behind a laser) screws the def 2 drone.

personally I'm okay with the above as a fix.. Give the Drone TWO lasers.. 1 that will only shoot @ lasers, and 1 that will only shoot @ missiles...