[Suggestion] Let us see exactly where we can travel

General discussion about the game.
SVD997

[Suggestion] Let us see exactly where we can travel

Postby SVD997 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:39 pm

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else or not, but it has happened to me several times. You jumping from star to star enjoying the trip, when all of a sudden, you're stuck. You are unable to jump to the next star. You think you should be able to, but for some reason you can't. This has happened several times to me, and it's frustrating. It usually happens with the rebels on my tail, and I can't always make it out of the rebel fleet without dying. This aspect of the game is more frustrating to me than being boarded by 4 mantis on a sun. This is one of the few aspects of the game I feel I should have control over, planning my jumps. If you could give us a light outline or something when we hover our mouse over a point, telling us where we can travel to from there, I would greatly appreciate it. Maybe I'm just no good at guessing distances, but I would like to be sure I can finish the quest without dying, barring all the other randomness.
Gorlom

Re: [Suggestion] Let us see exactly where we can travel

Postby Gorlom » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:07 pm

I think that's in the game to actually make the adv FTL navigation augment useful.. It's the only purpose I can see it having. well possibly to get back to a repair node in the last sector as well but that's really situational.
temporal

Postby temporal » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:17 pm

This has happened to me several times as well. I'd definitely like to see a mouse hover effect that shows all possible jumps from a node.

You could argue that guestimating jumpability is part of the game but eh...
angelocire

Postby angelocire » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:48 pm

I've never had a problem with it- it's fairly easy to guestimate jump routes based on distance AND number of nearby nodes. If there's 4 nodes directly behind you, and one far to the right, you probably won't get a jump option, as where if there's only one behind you, you're more likely to get the jump option.

At least, that's been my experience.
SVD997

Postby SVD997 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:06 pm

It doesn't seem to matter how many options. Sometimes I get stuck with only one jump option, and it's behind me. It's frustrating because I think I know how far I can jump, but am unable to make a jump. I don't know exactly how far I can jump, or what determines it. It is one of the aspects that I feel shouldn't be random. There is a difference between making a calculated risk and get caught by the fleet, and getting caught by the fleet because you couldn't make a jump you feel you should have the option of making. At the very least, if we could get a little dotted ring around our ship, telling us our jump radias, that would help too. Even possibly making it something we could upgrade? Just a random thought in the middle of my rant. :-)

BTW, just wanted to say that I love the game, despite this little setback that I seem to be having.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:19 pm

It's one of the aspects I like with the game. If you et caught like that just fight your way through the rebel fleet. you miss out on a bit of scrap but it's not game over because of it.
LukaCola

Postby LukaCola » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:44 pm

I've even gotten caught with certain points that are completely unreachable from any point, it sucks when it's the quest marker.

But yes, please add this. It makes all the sense in the world to have it so. We can already see all the warp points, why wouldn't you be able to determine the paths between these points?