New Game Customizations

General discussion about the game.
samseng813

New Game Customizations

Postby samseng813 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:52 am

Sorry if below questions are dumb because I don't have access to Beta. Can anyone help answer me?

1) What customizations do we have when starting a new game aside from ship and difficulty?
2) Can we customize the location of each room such as Weapon Room, Medical Bay, Engine......etc?
3) Can we customize each crew's race and skill? I enjoy creating a party like we can do in Icewind Dale 2

Thank you.

Best Regards and Happy working
Sams
reverend

Re: New Game Customizations

Postby reverend » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:29 am

4) Can we choose (within limits) a different starting loadout for our ships?
Luringen

Postby Luringen » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:33 am

1. You can choose ship, the name of the ship, difficulty and the name of the crew.
2. No.
3. No, but you can replace them in game with other crew you may find. Skills? No crew starts with any skills (apart from their race bonuses), but by manning a system they gain skills with that system (skills in weapons system = shorter chargeup time). There are also skills for fighting and repairing. Some races starts with bonuses, such as having more health (and more interesting effects beyond stats).

4. No.
samseng813

Postby samseng813 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:05 am

Ah ok. Hope the developer will allow us to change the crew race and manual relocate ship systems.
As unlock-able by certain achievement is also fine.

I suppose this will open up more strategy option and replay value.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:24 pm

samseng813 wrote:Ah ok. Hope the developer will allow us to change the crew race and manual relocate ship systems.

Changing the crews race doesn't make much sense.

The things you want to switch out are balanced as to make the game as interesting as possible. Switching room around wouldn't make any difference in strategy... it would just make the game blander as everyone would start optimizing the layout. You' still only have one layout but the difficulty and fun with crew management will be slightly lower then intended by the devs.
MrJLK

Postby MrJLK » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:14 pm

Gorlom wrote:
samseng813 wrote:Ah ok. Hope the developer will allow us to change the crew race and manual relocate ship systems.

Changing the crews race doesn't make much sense.

The things you want to switch out are balanced as to make the game as interesting as possible. Switching room around wouldn't make any difference in strategy... it would just make the game blander as everyone would start optimizing the layout. You' still only have one layout but the difficulty and fun with crew management will be slightly lower then intended by the devs.

Yeah I agree, as soon as you put room customisation in all it takes is someone to work out the optimal lay-out and then everyone will be switching to that. Rooms that hold the pilot and engine can't really be moved as they are fixed by the shape of the ship. So that would reduce the amount of customisation down and lot and by this point there is no real need for it.

Like the devs said, they tried this and it just wasn't fun to implement so they took it out. For good reason I think.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Considering that the game is designed to be relative short and many game sessions (with starting over from scratch each time) too much customization is a bad thing. It would only make it take longer to start up each time and become quite aggravating.