Aug for stealth ship proposal

General discussion about the game.
ZiMMy

Aug for stealth ship proposal

Postby ZiMMy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:33 am

Idea for developers: add a special augmentation, that will be installed on Stealth B and buyable for Stealth A (for a moderate price). This aug reduces the cooldown of cloak for 2x or 1.5x (depends on the req of balance).

I think, that thing would make stealth ship more fun for play, increase the value of active defense (key side of that ship) and make the stealth cruiser really worth it's name.

Also in my mind, stealth cr are generally underpowered, and that thing could solve this.
Sorry for my really bad english.
Todes_Schnitzel

Re: Aug for stealth ship proposal

Postby Todes_Schnitzel » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Well, I'm not quite sure about your augmentation.(i haven´t a good feeling about the augmentation) :?
MY ENGLISH IS TERRIBLYHELL YEAH!
This text is presented by Google translate , my english skill and german. :D
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:38 pm

I think the reason the Stealth Cruisers are considered underpowered is that they lack key components and the random nature of the game (store location, their wares and your scrap at the times) makes it very likely that you will be destroyed before acquiring them. I'm also a little puzzled that you mention the cloak as a defensive system. The cloak pretty much gives you a 'First Strike' ability and if you manage to collect and power up enough weapons, you'll wreak havoc on the enemy ship. Of course the cloak can be (and should be) used for defensive purposes but i find it best empolyed as a weapon. The Mini-Beam can easily be wedged in between rooms and score up to 4 pts of damage on certain ship configurations.

The biggest problem is that Dual Lasers are unable to strip more than 2 layers of shielding, and getting a better weapon is entirely down to luck. Another problem is that taking excessive damage before buying shields will lead to frequent repairs and waste a lot of scrap.

Try not to rely too much on cloaking for defense as it only gives you a brief moment of safety and only really works well in the early sectors. Later on, it's more about charging up your weapons while the enemy cannot charge theirs and unleashing enough damage to cripple them.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
FDru

Postby FDru » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:10 pm

The stealth ships are fine, for the most part. If anything, I'd say give them 1 shield power like the Zoltan ships. That would ease the burden of the early game "luck-fest" a little bit, as they wouldn't need to farm the whole 150 scrap (only 100 of it) and then find a shop with a shield. Starting with stealth isn't that much an advantage when your life depends on buying a 150 scrap system from a shop (which is exactly what any other ship would need to do to buy stealth).