[Suggestion] Sprinklers Augment/Additional System.

General discussion about the game.
barelyhomosapien

[Suggestion] Sprinklers Augment/Additional System.

Postby barelyhomosapien » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:00 am

It's a simple idea in two flavours depending on implementation.

As an Augment: An automated sprinkler system that puts out fires at 1/2 (?) crew rate in afflicted systems.

As an additional system:

At level 1: Extinguishes fires at 1/4 Crew Rate.
At level 2: Extinguishes fires at 1/2 Crew Rate.
At level 3: Extinguishes fires at Crew Rate.

I had various ideas about possible down sides to it as well

A low possbility to cause a short and damaging a system, or reducing crew movement speed in places it's active, and possibly, if a sprinkler is on when the system is destroyed, it stays on and starts flooding a room in a similar way to how oxygen leaks out. You could even have the above failure also being possible when it's destroyed even if there are no sprinklers active.
kylarus

Re: [Suggestion] Sprinklers Augment/Additional System.

Postby kylarus » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:04 pm

I'd almost say Halon gas would be a more suitable one than sprinklers. Level 1 would be half effectiveness of venting/breaching the room in terms of fire-killing and oxygen removal, while level 3 would be double effectiveness. In this way, it's not just an effective fire removal system, in a pinch it can get rid of invaders in those hard to vent rooms.
barelyhomosapien

Postby barelyhomosapien » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Aye, maybe :)

My idea's were based on what I perceive the devs might think of as balanced within the game.
LillithMenarra

Postby LillithMenarra » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:55 pm

The thing is, water is a precious commodity in space travel, so a water sprinkler system would be horribly expensive and next to impossible to refill on the move.

I like the Halon Gas fire suppression system mentioned above as an alternative though, just make it a bit expensive to purchase because that could be very useful against invaders.
Gimboid

Postby Gimboid » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:46 pm

I like the idea of a fire management system, could even be a subsystem you start out with at level 0 and have to pay to upgrade.