Yea just broke the game - Stalemate

General discussion about the game.
Jason

Yea just broke the game - Stalemate

Postby Jason » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:51 am

Take a look at the attachment first see if you can figure out the problem i'll wait
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Done? Good, see I'm out of fuel and missiles the rebel fleet has caught up to me, with my improved engines and the new limited missile(genuine thank you for doing that) i survived there missile barrage and now with my 4 shields they can't harm me but as I am out of missiles and the only weapon i have is a burst laser II which fires 3 shots i can not harm them either so stalemate.

Which sucks as it was a good run to.

So what to do?

Its simple add a critical hit factor to the unlimited weapons like lasers. Whats this do? its simple, critical hits bypass shields.

Right now you have missiles and bombs which bypass shields and you have projectile weapons which hit shields and beams which hit and try to burn through shields. The problem is the only weapon that is guarantied to bypass shields is a limited stock so add a critical factor to the other weapons that give them a (very low)chance to by pass the shields means that if you run out of missiles you still have a chance to hit a ship which could have held off your attack before.

Well?
Justin
Site Admin

Re: Yea just broke the game - Stalemate

Postby Justin » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:15 am

We really don't want to be adding 'critical hits' to the game (this has come up in a number of previous posts and GS ideas). Long story short we like the almost board-game level of situation analysis that having minimal randomness in combat provides. Evasion adds enough random frustration already in my opinion.

In terms of stalemates, we plan to have the enemy ship just jump away after a time (just to prevent game-breaking situations like being out of fuel).
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
chanman

Postby chanman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:17 am

I'd suggest that if the conflict isn't resolvable, the AI jumps out. In the Rebel Fleet situation like yours, a fresh ship should jump in too :D
Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:39 am

That's good although it was when I was caught by the rebel fleet with no fuel, in that case maybe you should do that threat that keeps popping up and blast the players ship with weapons from the rest of the rebel feet if they don't get out as soon as they can.
Wintersong

Postby Wintersong » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:31 am

Justin wrote:In terms of stalemates, we plan to have the enemy ship just jump away after a time (just to prevent game-breaking situations like being out of fuel).

In the OP's case, shouldn't it be Game Over? I mean, look at all those rebel ships in the background.
"Reinforces arrive. You are *beep*. End of line."
If we have no time to get scrap from defeating the enemy in that situation because of the other ships, a stalemate there (no fuel!!) should be end game.
barelyhomosapien

Postby barelyhomosapien » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:35 am

Jason wrote:That's good although it was when I was caught by the rebel fleet with no fuel, in that case maybe you should do that threat that keeps popping up and blast the players ship with weapons from the rest of the rebel feet if they don't get out as soon as they can.

I have to say I quite like that idea, if it's possible as the encounter can be trivalised by certain setups.
LillithMenarra

Postby LillithMenarra » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Being caught by the Rebel Fleet when you are out of fuel should be game-over. Toss a ship basically as powerful as the final boss at the player and let them have their last blaze-of-glory as they are torn apart.
temporal

Postby temporal » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:13 pm

LillithMenarra wrote:Being caught by the Rebel Fleet when you are out of fuel should be game-over. Toss a ship basically as powerful as the final boss at the player and let them have their last blaze-of-glory as they are torn apart.

Nah, I kind of like how it is now.

I've only had this happen to me once and it was a result of the "not sure if it will be possible to jump between those two points" planning error. I killed the rebel ship and got like 3 fuel for my trouble. Not sure if that is by chance, you might have to keep fighting ships until you luck out.
Gimboid

Postby Gimboid » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Seems a bit silly if the rebels catch you, then jump away when they've ran out of fuel...

How about an emergency jump? you can initiate an emergency jump when out of fuel, but doing so will likely damage your ship? you come out of jump with your engine broken and red, with a hull breach, something somewhere on fire... (gotta love fire).

Seriously, how much more awesome can you add to this awesome sci-fi environment with a it phrase like "ACTIVATE AN EMERGENCY JUMP!"
temporal

Postby temporal » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:35 pm

Seriously, how much more awesome can you add to this awesome sci-fi environment with a it phrase like "ACTIVATE AN EMERGENCY JUMP!"

omg, this ^