So I got the bio-beam...

General discussion about the game.
temporal

So I got the bio-beam...

Postby temporal » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:46 pm

... and it was very disappointing.

I bust down the shields, line up 3 rooms with enemy crew in each of them, 2 of which are at half health. I giggle deviously thinking this is going to be murderously effective at netting scrap from crewless hulls.
Beam fires, rakes all 3 rooms, and only takes the 3rd full health crew member down to like 65% health.

This was on normal so I actually had to scrape to get this loadout online. Several similar encounters follow until I get blown up because the bio-beam just won't cut it (ha).

What?! Do I actually have to hit the crew member with the beam or just the room? I was really expecting better accuracy if not damage for such a rare weapon.
Justin
Site Admin

Re: So I got the bio-beam...

Postby Justin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:06 pm

Perhaps we need to make it more clear but yes, the bio beam actually needs to hit the crew member.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
DocGratis

Postby DocGratis » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:10 pm

yeah you have to hit the crewman. Or at least pass the beam through the space they are standing in.

It is a great mid level weapon to help with boarding party strong tactics, but it sucks late game and worse it make you really mad when you fight an AI drone. Boarding party useless.
Biobeam useless..

Want to know something really strange.. biobeams affect drones.
(the game doesn't differentiate between meatsacks and boarding/defense/repair drones)
Weapons Officer "Aww do we really NEED 02 and Medbay? I want more weapon power"
Shields and Engine Officers "Yeah we want more power!"

Pilot (aka Captain) "Will you babies get back to work!"
Muramas

Postby Muramas » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:57 pm

I guess they are andrones :p
irongamer

Postby irongamer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Never trust a slug.
Darthcaboose

Postby Darthcaboose » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:55 pm

Don't be dissing the bio-beam. It's actually a very effective weapon once you're in a stalemate-ish position and can guarantee a way to breach shields without destroying the enemy ship outright. The ability to take out the crew increases the average resources you gain. I was able to get to the end boss fight before dying horribly to the drones.
GoodRevrnd

Postby GoodRevrnd » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:44 am

Does it harm your own crew?
temporal

Postby temporal » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:07 pm

I'm sure it does.

Now that I know I need to aim it at crew it works much better. Still, not really the best weapon for the final boss.
emlazz

Postby emlazz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:40 pm

When I hit crew with bio-beam they're pretty much dead, straight-away. You came all the way here and made a forum post without actually trying it out first?

Come on.