Weapons choices and trade offs or <3 Burst Laser II

General discussion about the game.
LillithMenarra

Re: Weapons choices and trade offs or <3 Burst Laser II

Postby LillithMenarra » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:25 pm

My best runthrough so far basically handed me everything I could ask for, and was the first game I beat the final boss on, and did it easily too. I was able to board nearly every ship and kill the crew and get more scrap and items, and in Sector 3 I salvaged a Burst III off a pirate, then in Sector 4 I bought one from a Store (I was in the Kestrel fyi, so 4 weapon slots.)

I immediately slapped them both on, then in Sector 5 I found/bought an Ion Bomb and a Breach Bomb, and I also had that Augment where active weapons are pre-charged when you Jump, so I would deactivate the lasers and activate the bombs before each jump.

My tactic became::
-Jump in
-Breach Bomb their Medbay, Ion Bomb their Drone Control, Teleport my Boarding Party into the cockpit, all at the same time.
-Turn off the Bombs and activate the Burst III's and wait.
-If they start to get the Medbay fixed, fire a volley with the bursts at it to keep it down.
-Teleport a 2nd boarding party over
-Finish cleaning up the crew.

Did basically the same thing for the Final Boss except my 2 2-man boarding parties went to the weapon systems first while I pummelled the shields and Drone Control.

SPOILERS:::

FYI:::If you kill all the crew on the final boss, an AI takes over control of the ship and systems start to auto-repair faster from what I saw, so maybe best to leave a couple crew alive if you can, just not in the weapon systems.
OrangeBottle

Re: Weapons choices and trade offs or <3 Burst Laser II

Postby OrangeBottle » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:41 pm

barelyhomosapien wrote:
aviphysics wrote:The fire beam I have had almost no luck with. The enemy will almost always put out the fire before it can spread, unless I have a boarding crew to distract them. It then takes forever to actually knockout a system. It is really only useful if you have already overpowered the enemy.

The fire beam (and likely bombs as well, not had a chance to play with them though I think they do crew damage as well) is quite situational. If you're fighting a mantis, or one of the smaller ships that have isolated systems then the fires are quite helpful But against more populated or crewed ships all it does is distract.

Actually, they added engis to the mantis ships in a recent update. Fire-based weapons are now useless against mantis ships with a large enough crew.

However, fire beams do work well with bombs, if you're planning to take the ship by eliminating the crew.