I hope you're happy...

General discussion about the game.
Dakkon

I hope you're happy...

Postby Dakkon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:16 am

I was fighting a Rebel ship, and I had a fairly strong crew... I was about 5 sectors in towards the Federation fleet. I had a good human and a bug who were excellent at boarding for quick strikes. I launched my two anti ship drones, and sent my soldiers over to do their duty. Guns were blazing, and missiles were firing. My soldiers were doing alright, but I'll be honest, they couldn't hold out forever.

Suddenly, a missile strikes my engine room and there was a breach. I send my engineer over to get things back in order, and at the same time, they struck my transporter!! Just as I was about to send my engineer over to repair the transporter (because I leave no man... or bug... behind), the enemy ship blows up! Those two anti ship drones did their job too well... :(

RIP Jack and Melissa... I hardly knew you.

PS. It's a great game
Nikolai

Re: I hope you're happy...

Postby Nikolai » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:24 pm

You think that's bad?

I was doing extremely well -- arguably better than ever, on track to defeating the big bad at the end (which I still haven't managed to do). Choosing to emphasize firepower was the right option, apparently.

I've also done a decent job of staying barely ahead of the rebels. I'm in the third-to-last sector, and jump to the exit with moments to spare.

The exit location is an asteroid field, where an insanely well-shielded ship (four shields?!) commences pounding the bejeezus out of my O2 and engines. I barely manage to defeat the thing; I've had crew in the O2 room nonstop from the battle's beginning, constantly torquing those little ratchet wrenches. Everyone else is in the engine room or, one at a time, in sickbay.

They manage to fix the O2, but not in enough time. Immediately after it's fixed -- and I mean, immediately -- five crew members die of asphyxiation. Only two crew are left.

I tried to continue, but even though they had an awesome ship, two crew weren't enough.

This wasn't enough to make me hate FTL, though, by a long shot. It's simply an amazing game.
Able_Baker

Postby Able_Baker » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:59 pm

I was using the stealth ship and in very first sector on my 3rd jump i ran into an enemy ship with 3 hull blaster lasors equipped, Three! Can't say it ended well for me or my crew members.
Muramas

Postby Muramas » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:52 pm

pro-tip, never send your boarding party on an unmanned ship...they don't have O2 and your guys die pretty fast.

Learned that lesson the hard way.
LillithMenarra

Postby LillithMenarra » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:39 pm

I send boarding parties onto unmanned ships all the time to take out the weapon systems quickly while I pound the shields and engines. Rank 2 Teleporter you have enough time to do the damage and port them back out before they die.

Also, using Rockmen is nice, love that extra health.
Samson

Postby Samson » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Yeah, I think everyone has had instances of either failing miserably or losing crew in horrible ways.

Last night I tried a run with the stealth ship. First jump brought me to a rebel with a beam drone and a beam on his ship. Needless to say I didn't even have time to charge up my FTL to GTF outta there. I think my final score was 28.

I've also lost all crew save one to asphyxiation. I think the O2 system is my most ingnored and most vunerable system.
Gimboid

Postby Gimboid » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:44 pm

Unfortunately the boarder drones seem dangerous when you plan to use your own boarding crews. I sent a boarding drone to the boss, and it just so happened to breach the EXACT (missile) weapons sytem room my two men were in, I managed to beam them out safely before they died of suffocation, but after that I couldn't disable the enemy missile weapon, since the room was red due to breach.
LillithMenarra

Postby LillithMenarra » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:49 am

I use the circular Engi ship mostly, and I had a game where I had 3 Boarding Drones and a Boarding Crew, you just launch the drones first and wait to see where they hit, then pause, port the boarding crew, and faceroll to victory.